Author Topic: Lightning strikes thrice  (Read 1126 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Lightning strikes thrice
« on: October 23, 2004, 11:42:15 PM »
55th FS, 20th FG

434th FS, 479th FG

433rd FS, 475th FG

Just some underwing weathing to do on all, then I could submit them.   Plenty of errors in them all but overall I hope they exceed the default game skin.   Special thanks to Guppy and Virgil Hilts for skin research!

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 12:14:57 AM »
lol ur crazy oboe! WTG!

Online nopoop

• Gold Member
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 12:30:25 AM »
Good stuff Oboe :aok
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 01:56:24 AM »
oboe. Tip- go to files and paint the "satan.bmb" black. it is the nose of the plane:)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 09:40:41 AM »
Thanks for the tip Sp4de - I thought this was just alpha masking that wasn't working - since there was a satan_a.bmp the wall already all black.

I painted the satan.bmp all grey/silver to try to blend in with the nose, looks much better now.  Thanks!

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 11:09:05 AM »
Those are VERY nice.  I wish I had the time and the software.

If you're interested, the planes for the Headhunters are pretty similar. The color of the spinners is green with a white stripe. The outer wings have a green stripe with white borders. The tips of the stabilizers are green, top and bottom, with a white stripe. On the outside of the engine nacelle, there is a little headhunter head with crossed bones underneath. I can try to get you some tailnumbers and such from Ken Lloyd, who flew with them. Ken said the green is Kelly green.

Ken also told me that many groups and squadrons had very similar layouts, they just changed the colors. Here is what he said:

My pictures are of the 80th Fighter Squadron P-38's. They will be the same as the 475th except for the color of the spinners and stripes on the tail. Ours was Kelly Green and I believe Red was color of one of the 475th squadron's. Also, some may have been Red and White, Green and White, etc.

Ken

I have friends who flew with the 1st, 20th, 55th, and 8th FG's. If you need anything, I'll try to get it for you. Biggest problem is most of these guys are about 80, they don't have scanners, and they are kind of tired. But I will try.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 08:24:46 PM »
Thank you Virgil, I appreciate it!    80th FS Lightnings seem doable, and also sound nice-looking.   I don't have any pics of them, but I bet there will be some in the books Guppy has for me.   I haven't submitted my skins yet and think I will hold off until 2.01 is released in case there are any changes to the 38's skin or texture map in the new release.

I'd like HTC to look these three over and give me a thumbs up or down before I do any more though.

and thanks!

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2004, 10:36:20 PM »
oboe. Whats your email adress. I got some stuff to send you.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 09:46:08 AM »
Hi Sp4de - I just enabled email through this BB.   To email me, click on my Profile button and click 'send oboe an email'.

I *think* its better to do it that way, rather than post my email address here.  Not sure if web spiders can get at an email address posted in a thread, but I'd rather be safe than sorry - I get enough spam as is.

Thanks!

Offline Cooley

• Silver Member
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 12:09:09 AM »
NICE!
any chance ya could do a 367th '38 for us?

Ive read the original version had invasion stripes for Air cover on DDay
Cooleyof 367th

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 06:54:52 AM »
Will definitely put that one on my list, but due to the nose art it'll have to wait until the skin texture gets reworked.   I hope the '38 is high on HTC's list for that.    That would be a nice skin.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
Lightning strikes thrice
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 07:46:45 AM »
Originally posted by oboe
Will definitely put that one on my list, but due to the nose art it'll have to wait until the skin texture gets reworked.   I hope the '38 is high on HTC's list for that.    That would be a nice skin.

Supposedly the P-38 is at the top of the list, and some problems will be corrected with the upcoming major patch that delivers 2 new planes and a new tank. Or maybe I read the release wrong.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe