Author Topic: P51 tips  (Read 994 times)

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
P51 tips
« on: December 11, 2001, 10:47:00 PM »
When I first started playing AH all I knew was that the concept of E was important. I tried to fly as I thought was right but in any old plane. Then I learned about turning fighters and E fighters and B&Z etc etc. I've read everything I could get my hands on about E fighting because that's what im interested in.

After a few nights putting what i'd read into practise I noticed a vast improvement in my kill ratio but I know I am still doing a lot wrong.

I'm just after some extra tips for flying the P51. What do other E fighters do? I find it hard to find a trainer as im in Australia, most trainers would be in bed when im flying  :). I'm still new to the split S and scissors although I understand the immelman(sp?).

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
P51 tips
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2001, 11:06:00 PM »
Gavor, check the tips on the 412th web site (we are an all pony squad and concentrate on wingman tactics).  If you see me online at any time call out and I'll be happy to show you some moves in the TA.  I'm not an official trainer but I have been known to help out on occasion... and I'm on Aussie time as well.   ;)

--------------------
A "Runstang Weenie" and proud of it.

Click on image to go to the 412th home page...

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Blue Mako ]

Offline aknimitz

• Silver Member
P51 tips
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2001, 02:15:00 AM »
More than likely I am available during Aussie hours.  We have an aussie in our squad and I frequently fly when he is on.  Shoot me an email, nimitz@huckabay.net and we will set up a time.  I am very comfortable in the P51 and am happy to help you with any questions you have.

Nim

Offline Wutz

• Copper Member
P51 tips
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2001, 04:42:00 AM »
Yeah the 412 rules when it comes too Pony skills. So go there and learn alot. And remeber in the Pony take long good turns, and hold her over 300 MPH and let the Enemy waist their E trying too get a shoot. Over 300 Mph the Merlin Engine and the Pony is a Dream too fly. Good luck   :D

Offline Vector

• Nickel Member
P51 tips
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2001, 12:34:00 PM »
Flew few sorties with P-51B and came curious what are the differences between B and D? Is there any special tips for this bird?
Thx!

--------------------
vector
XO 348th FG "Kearby's Thunderbolts"

Offline Wutz

• Copper Member
P51 tips
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2001, 01:03:00 PM »
I think P51B is actualy faster than D. But D has 6x50. not 4x50. I was suprised how good the P51B was too fly, it seemed too climb better than the D and it seemed somewhat faster. But heck I might be wrong.

Offline gavor

• Nickel Member
      • http://users.senet.com.au/~shanga
P51 tips
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2001, 04:47:00 PM »
Thanks for all the offers, I flew a little last night with Mako and picked a few things up, every bit of info is welcomed.

Cheers, Mako, last night was fun. Tired now  :).

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
P51 tips
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2001, 12:52:00 AM »
The P51b and D share the same airframe both with merlin engines. The B has the birdcage hood and the D has the bubble. The B has 4 50cals while the D has 6 (can also have 4).

The B we have has the high-alt engine and is faster than the D between 15k-21K and again over about 26K with max speed 30K some 442MPH.

The D is faster from 0-15K and then again from 21-26K. with top speed 437MPH at 26K.

The B has lower climb rate under 10K, but over that its better than the D.

The B is also a little bit lighter, mainly from the reduction in guns, which gives it a lower wing-loading which means slightly better sustained turn performance.

So i guess, if you ignore the gun disparity, the D is for lower alt fightin, the B for higher alt fightin.

The D with the 4 gun package is a nice bird too  :)
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline pugg666

• Silver Member
P51 tips
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2001, 11:37:00 AM »
everything spatula said plus the B is a little bit more stable because the rear fusalage isn't cut down like it is on the D.

the B is fun to fly, but my personal preferance is the D as i don't think think the increased high alt performance is worth the loss of view you get with the B.

the guns. with 4 or 6 it's still a killer as the .50 has one of the best balistic models in the game.

other than that.

turn in the vertical.flat turns are just an invitation for any plane other than a p-47 or a 190 a8/d9 to just eat you for lunch.
you have good high speed roll and handling use it to your advantage.
stalls.
(this maybe due to my stick scaling)i've notice that the Pony isn't that easy to stall, but once you stall and spin for more than about 2 rotations that it becomes VERY difficult to recover from( especially pronounced at alts over 25k )

convergance.
personal preference really. I have mine set at 300 across the board.

http://webpages.charter.net/davidlj/" TARGET=_blank>
412th FS Home Page

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: pugg666 ]