Author Topic: Cannon reload times?  (Read 315 times)

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Cannon reload times?
« on: November 01, 2004, 01:28:49 PM »
Tried the T-34. Was the T-34's cannon reload really 100% slower than the Pz-4? I got 6 seconds for the Pz-4 and 12 for the 34.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Cannon reload times?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 01:39:20 PM »
It is certainly way slower.
Ergonomics was the least concern in the design of the T34. All was sacrificed for supperior balistic shape and maximum firepower and speed.

In the case of reload speed it certainly is at a signifigant disadvantage for sustained speed. There were some ready rounds but 80% of the rounds are stored in lidded boxes that make up the floor of the fighting compartment. As the turrent traverses the loader shuffels arround on that floor and has to open a hatch pull out a round, then catch up with the breech to reload.
So
open breach and eject shell.
Shell is now on floor with other shells.(there is no way to have the casing leave the tank unless its through the roof hatches.
Open hatch on floor, Pick out right round.
Better close that hatch unless you want to step in that hole as you shuffle arround loading.
catch up to breach and reload the gun.

instead of .
Pz IV
Standing on the floor of the turrent wich rotates with the breach and always keeps you lined up with it.
open breach ejecting round. (if the turrent side hatches are open you can just throw the casing out)
Grab new round from racks arranged arround the wall of the tank
Load round.
close breach.

The germans sacrificed balistic protection for a more efficient and ergonomic vehicle. The russians did the oposite.

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Cannon reload times?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 01:39:50 PM »
T-34 that is modelled only had a 2 man turret (no dedicated loader), and the ammunition wasn't stowed in the turret where it was easily accesible.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Cannon reload times?
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 01:51:46 PM »
The T-34/85 addressed this problem to a large degree, but the T-34/76 had HUGE proplems in this area.  I'm glad to see that they modeled the problems.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Cannon reload times?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 04:49:25 PM »
The T34 had a dedicated loader. It didnt have a dedicated Gunner. The gunner was also the comander.

Offline GRUNHERZ

• Plutonium Member
Cannon reload times?
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 04:55:07 PM »
One thing I'd like to see is 2 second or so delay when switching from the commanders turret top viewing position to the gunner position. This should model the time it might take for the commander to get down inside and get on the gunsight.