Author Topic: Newbie and the P-38  (Read 1725 times)

Offline BigShot

• Zinc Member
Newbie and the P-38
« on: October 09, 2001, 12:12:00 PM »
Hi guys. Been in the game for a couple days. I know most don't agree with a newbie sittin in a P-38 unless you want the easy kill,   :)  But I am just looking for tips on this fine plane. Always loved it and I want to learn it and master the plane. Again any tips on alt to fly and speed, stratigies for bombing and other things.

Thanks ahead of time guys.

BigShot

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2001, 12:26:00 PM »
First off, you'll have some posting here that its porked.  Ignore them and focus on overcoming some of its pitfalls.  I would suggest flying it high (15-25k altitude) and using vertical moves to gain superior firing advantage on an enemy.  Fly it like a 109 and you'll do good.

Offline orion8x

• Zinc Member
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2001, 01:02:00 PM »
Does anyone know whether they've fixed the dive brakes? Apparently, they didn't seem to work a while back and I haven't tested them lately.

Offline BigShot

• Zinc Member
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2001, 06:05:00 PM »
Thanks Rip. Will jump on tonight and try and put that stuff to use. Thanks for the promt reply to.

BigShot

Offline BOOT

• Copper Member
      • http://www.327th.org
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2001, 10:04:00 PM »
Orion Wrote

Does anyone know whether they've fixed the dive brakes? Apparently, they didn't seem to work a while back and I haven't tested them lately.  

Not that I can Tell Orion... They work but not very well... in other words they reduce speed but not enough to eliminate compression too early in a dive...

BOOT

BOOT

Offline Central

• Nickel Member
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2001, 01:29:00 AM »
Keep her High and fast, dont get tricked into going low. Point is, you want to use it as an "E" fighter as opposed to a BnZer.

Thats the way I fly her.

Cent

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2001, 01:50:00 AM »
I'm surprised no one has turned this thread into a P38 whine fest.

BigShot; Everyone in here knows the P-38L is my sweetheart. It is a SUPERB plane in AH, but you have to master it first. Once you get used to staying fast all the time, you can even dogfight yaks, ponies, 109s, and in my case, spitfires flown by mediocre pilots.

You can use its acceleration and good vertical performance to your advantage. Today I flew for almost 4 hourse and it seems like the 1ping engine deaths and glass tail are gone. I found myself flying with all my engines leaking black and gray smoke, missing an aileron and a flap, and I was still very much in the fight. A very sturdy plane.

Anyways, you may get frustrated after a while if you choose to fly it as your main ride. I recomend you learn to fly planes like the Yak, the Mustang, the 109 once in a while too.

Good luck and remember to have patience. Fighting in the P38 is more of an art than just plain TnB or BnZ, you really have to work the plane. Watch out for compression and learn to control it, and watch your airspeed.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2001, 01:51:00 AM »
BTW dont be afraid to waste ammo in the P38. Squeeze that trigger as long as you have to shoot em down. the nose guns are VERY accurate at long range. Use the cannon for close range. Its better to go home with no ammo than to die without spending any of it.

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2001, 07:19:00 AM »
One last point, every one here is saying stay high and fast, and they're right, as regards using the P38 as a fighter. However, most of us are results orientated, and learning a new game and a new plane is a frustrating resultless period.

So, remember the P38 is a truly excellent Jabo. Load it up with eggs and rockets, go hit a train or a base then use it's fabulous climb to grab and hunt.

That way, every flight you'll be achieving something, which is much more fun than "learning by dying"  :)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2001, 07:36:00 AM »
Dont believe Animal... he's setting you up.

xBAT

P.S. Animal I sent ya a private message.

[ 10-10-2001: Message edited by: batdog ]
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2001, 10:14:00 AM »
Its not worth it. Grab a Mossie  :)

Offline Central

• Nickel Member
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2001, 04:34:00 PM »
One other thing not mentioned yet. When you do get low fighting, use a notch of flaps. You'd be surprised how she turns.  :)

Offline Hobodog

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.military.com
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2001, 07:53:00 PM »
38 is porked fly the mossie.

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
Newbie and the P-38
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2001, 10:21:00 PM »
I agree with Animal.

The P38 is some what like the 51D, if you can learn to fly it decent, other rides will seem much easier to fly in comparison.

I'd suggest sticking with it for a couple of tours, then take up nik, f4ud or spit.

You will be pleasantly surprised on how quick the kills will come. But always keep the plane you like and learned in as your main ride.