Author Topic: Anyone catch SNL last night?  (Read 442 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Anyone catch SNL last night?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2004, 10:09:55 PM »
Once again we find common ground. I can't stand Eminem.

On a side note, the story was filmed last week when the Ashlee Simpson fubar occurred. I can kinda buy her story of a hoarse throat now. She had big trouble singing during Dress on the 60 Minutes story because of her throat. I really don't care about it tho.

I thought she was lipsyncing her first song as well when I watched it live. During a closeup it just did'nt look right, but I thought it may have been because of an 8 second delay being used. If you watch a live event when a delay is used you can often see pic and voice out of sync while the delay builds from 0 to 8 secs.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline VOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2004, 10:21:19 PM »
Yeah, they made every effort to distance themselves from her too. Seems like if they knew she was having voice problems, they might not have hammered her into the ground on last night's show. It's not like she pulled a Milli Vanilli. I don't really care about the whole thing, though. I can't name any of her songs off the top of my head.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 10:43:15 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
Horatio Sans is ass, and Jimmy Fallon, how the shreck did they find him anyway?  Sandler clone - and a horrible one at that.

Horatio is ass??? What's the matter with you, boy, you high on cheddar again?!  And him and Jimmy Fallon in any sketch is pretty good, as they inevitably end up cracking each other up, which is fun to watch.  But I must admit, I thought the same thing about Fallon the first time I saw him whip out a guitar.

"NOOOO! IS TOOO SEXY!!!"

In any case, SNL just goes in cycles.  It's good, it sucks, it's good it sucks, round and round, but one thing always remains the same...every cast masters the fine art of making a skit last forever and ever and evar and . . .
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2004, 11:31:11 PM »
Saturday Night Live hasn't been on the air in decades. There's a farce masquerading as Saturday Night Live on the air these days, been there since the original cast left. Hell, you could dig up Belushi and Radnor and they'd be funnier than the best Saturday Night Live has since they left.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline -tronski-

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2004, 11:50:15 PM »
I like Fallon and Fey's news, but it's still not as good as Norm Macdonalds Weekend update...

I still like SNL, and still consider Darrell Hammond's Clinton, and Will Ferrell's George W, Carvey's George H.  classics

Having never been really exposed to the early days of SNL (except the odd best of special), consider these to be the "better" of the cast from 1990 on:

Will Ferrell
Norm Macdonald
Phil Hartmann
Dana Carvey
Mike Meyers
Kevin Neallon
Rob Schnieder
David Spade
Julia Sweeney
Chris Farley
Adam Sandler
Cheri Oteri
Molly Shannon

featuring: Chris Rock, Chris Kattan, Darrell Hammond

Tronsky
God created Arrakis to train the faithful

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2004, 11:50:35 PM »
AND WE'RE BAAAAAACK!

Fallon was great. My favorite bits were the DJ, Dorm Room Webcast and of course Weekend Update. BTW, did you catch him in Band of Brothers? I didn't spot him until the third time I watched it.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Lazerus

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2004, 12:09:40 AM »
Originally posted by Captain Virgil Hilts
Saturday Night Live hasn't been on the air in decades. There's a farce masquerading as Saturday Night Live on the air these days, been there since the original cast left.  

I'll second that. The old shows still make me laugh, even if I know whats coming.

I consider all casts pre-1994 to be golden and the casts pre-1984 to be in a league of their own

The show started sucking asss around 1982 or so. I watched it whenever I could growing up. There was the occasional high point, but it mostly sucked throughout the 80's and 90's.

I said mostly, there were severel comics that can be considered to be the best in their era.

I think you guys just hate Tina Fey's liberal views. Guess what? The show has ALWAYS been liberal. They have ALWAYS parodied the sitting President, Republican or Democrat from Gerald Ford to Bush, Jr.

I couldn't care less what their views are or were. It's comedy, or supposed to be at least. I've always enjoyed their political satire. Through the late 70's, all through the 80's and 90's, and even now.

Granted, GB1 and Slick Willy were the best, but that stuffs always funny.

You want badly written, seriously unfunny SNL? Look to the Eddie Murphy / Joe Piscapo years.

What?? Murphy was fediddlein hilarious. BuckWheat? Damn, I'm laughin now thinkin of his old skits.

Fee Times A Mady?

BuckWheat Has Been Shot?

Damn man, whats wrong with you??

every cast masters the fine art of making a skit last forever and ever and evar and . . .

Thats always been part of their problem. I think Mad TV is starting to fall into that too.

Offline LePaul

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2004, 12:50:07 AM »
You really cant base SNL's overall performance on one show.  First, yea...some of the great talent has left but they got their footing there.  The "great ones" like Steve Martin, Chevy Chase, Dana Carvey and many many others came out of there.

Its funny you mention this since after they make some big press thanks to the Simpson chick who called those who lipsync are fakes and shouldnt be in the biz, well, got busted.  All on live TV.  Wonderful!  So, I think everyone was tuning in this week for a good show (since we all missed last weeks, right?) and got a bum episode.

It took my a while to like Jimmy Falon and a few of the more recent ones, too.  But if you catch a few episodes, you're bound to catch a good one.  It also depends on the guest host and whatever "theme" they are chasing.

Mad TV was pretty good, too.  I havent watched it in a long long time.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2004, 05:44:35 AM »
SNL dropped off my schedule when LandShark and KillerBees left the show ....
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals