Author Topic: .squelch 1  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
.squelch 1
« on: April 01, 2000, 10:01:00 PM »
I've been squelching channel 1 lately and found the atmosphere in Aces High much more pleasant with it off  

seems aside from the occasional genuine salute and "great fight thanks" there is nothing but chest beating and mud slinging.

just curious how many others out there have come to the same conclusion and solution?

------------------
CitabriAirbatiC

"There Is No Spoon"
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
.squelch 1
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2000, 10:58:00 PM »
99% of the time, I have it squelched.
Best thing I ever learned in AH, the squelch 1 command.
Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Fariz

• Silver Member
      • http://9giap.warriormage.com
.squelch 1
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2000, 11:16:00 PM »
I did it couple time, but found that one "nice flying" from skilled opponent is more valuable for me than 50 offencive comments about my flying, so I am not going squelch it.

Fariz

ezrust

.squelch 1
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2000, 11:37:00 PM »
I always squelch it.  Much more immersive without the enemy/friend watermelon chat.

------------------
RUST

JG2 "Richthofen"

[This message has been edited by ezrust (edited 04-01-2000).]

funked

.squelch 1
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2000, 11:43:00 PM »
I really enjoy the banter because some of the guys can keep it clean and fun.  But more and more it is getting foul and lame...
I wouldn't mind having a "squelch list" of guys that are auto-squelched.

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
.squelch 1
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2000, 01:01:00 AM »
I totally agree with funked.. an "auto squelch list" would be great.  Personally, I pay enough money to play this wonderful sim that I feel I shouldn't have to put up with all the crap, yet I also shouldn't have to exclude myself from the great deal of good interactions on chan 1, just to avoid all the crap... somewhat of a dilemma, I agree.  To be honest, I feel open chan flaming and accusations and sniveling, etc., etc., should be dealt with harshly if it doesn't stop after warning, or if is perpetrated by the same person repeatedly, but I see no realistic way to do this without HTC staff playing "room monitor" and being willing to let the axe fall when necessary.  Obviously this isn't a reasonable expectation, as they have more important business to tend to.  It's just an early Christmas wish I guess.  I refuse to squelch chan 1 on principal though.. guess I'm just stubborn.      Heh, in fact, even better than the squelch list, how about a System Message that tells the person everyone that has them specifically squelched.  Can you imagine?  Someone types in a message, and a message pops up,
"SYSTEM: You have been squelched by;
(list of individuals who have squelched this user)"

I think it would be hilarious, but then there are a few I can think of that would do it just to see if they could collect the biggest list of squelchers... ahh, the silly kiddies.

------------------

Skorpyon
I/JG2 ~Richthofen~
"Feel the Sting......"

[This message has been edited by Skorpyon (edited 04-02-2000).]

Offline Camel

• Zinc Member
.squelch 1
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2000, 01:54:00 AM »
Agreed, I havent squelched channel 1 before the last couple of weeks.

I realy like the Squelch list idea. Missing out on <S>'ing the last guy that killed me or just the other 2/3'rds of the community, kinda sucks. Like tonight there was some good natured ribbing (I thought) between Vulcan and llbm that I found funny. I also have learned a few things about Vid cards and such, on the open channel.

I vote for the squelch list!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
.squelch 1
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2000, 03:28:00 AM »
I only squelch channel one to shut myself up. I squelch others to shut them up.  It is real easy to squelch individual people..then they poof even if they are on country channel.

------------------
Pongo
The Wrecking Crew

Offline skernsk

• Platinum Member
.squelch 1
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2000, 09:14:00 AM »
Lately I have squelced 1, i agree its much better that way.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
.squelch 1
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2000, 09:47:00 AM »
you're right pongo,
I find it much easier to keep myself from grumbling to the opposing side when the means to do so is not immediately available with a single keypress  
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
.squelch 1
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2000, 10:55:00 AM »
citabria

sorry about the grip the other day at 17 near the ack. I was warping real bad due to the alter.net hope to AH.
only thing that really pisses me off was
I had a great tracking shot on you and just as I squeezed the trigger I warped and you jerked right out of my gun sight.
then the ack must have been shooting at me and I couldn't see it. got ping and looked back you were 3.0 from me.  
I do hope the connection problem gets resolved soon though cause this game is tuff
enough as it is.

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
.squelch 1
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2000, 12:09:00 PM »
How about a squelch macro?  It can look for phrases such as "spit dweeb", "all you do is HO", "uber", "vulcher", "undermodeld", "overmodeled", "hacker" and "cheater" and automatically squelch those people.  To be honest, there are things I like to hear even less than cursing in the arena.

AKDejaVu

DOH! I almost forgot the comment I loathe the most... "ack hugger".

[This message has been edited by AKDejaVu (edited 04-02-2000).]

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
.squelch 1
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2000, 02:47:00 PM »
Forgot 'sissyfire'. I'd pay $60/month, probably more, if Deja's idea was put in.  Only problem is you'd have to update each month with the kewl new catch phrase.  

Fatty

[This message has been edited by Fatty (edited 04-02-2000).]

funked

.squelch 1
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2000, 03:29:00 PM »
You forgot "FM" and ".50".  

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
.squelch 1
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2000, 05:31:00 PM »
   I too have been squelching chnl 1. I hate to do it because i like to hear the  banter ,expecially of my old DOA buddies, but I really really dont care WHY you got shot down, be it warps porked 50's or my gangbanging friends, so when the curseing starts, or the bullcrap gets too thick... I tune out.
 BTW if I send out a salute I do it on private now as I assume chnl 1 is being squelched, something else to think about.