Author Topic: KI-61  (Read 688 times)

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
KI-61
« on: October 17, 2001, 11:05:00 AM »
Advice tips? I flew it last night... I have some conculsions but I like to see others ideas and such  :)

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline Soviet

• Nickel Member
      • http://flanker2.8m.net
KI-61
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2001, 05:52:00 PM »
The best way to fly it is kind of like a Yak-9U, a BnZ TnB hybrid.

The best advice i can give is know your enemy and know which ones you can out turn and which ones you should use e manuevers against.

Also wait till you get close to fire and remember your MGs are in the wings not the cannon, i set the Wing mg's to 400 and fire first with it then add cannons to the fray  :D.  Try firing at <300 and you won't regret it, also as with most figthers fly in the vacinity of other's this is the best tip IMO if you can't outmanuever a con you can drag him to the nearest friendly and have him dispose of him.  And often being out numbered is too much for another fighter to handle

Offline Frost

• Copper Member
KI-61
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2001, 07:01:00 PM »
Don't like it much myself, role rate is way too slow.

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
KI-61
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2001, 08:59:00 AM »
that was a great f6f vs ki fight last night xbat, great flying.

Offline batdog

• Silver Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com/
KI-61
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2001, 12:42:00 PM »
TY Zig  :) back at ya. It was fun! That last evasive threw me big time... I was over confident and you handed my buttocks to me but good, lol! The KI is a good plane and the cannon are great. The secret is the fuel load out it seems. The roll rate goes up dramaticly when those wing tanks get low.  

Anyway...perhaps we'll meet again.

xBAT
Of course, I only see what he posts here and what he does in the MA.  I know virtually nothing about the man.  I think its important for people to realize that we don't really know squat about each other.... definately not enough to use words like "hate".

AKDejaVu

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
KI-61
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2001, 01:02:00 PM »
It's like a 202 with cannon.  I think the only slower fighters are the Hurricanes and the Zeke.  Climb rate is nothing special.

It doesn't turn quite as well as a Spit but there is enough agility to beat most planes in a close fight.  High speed maneuverability is fair.  

It seems to creak a lot at high speeds too - be careful of overstress.  Resistance to damage is fair too poor.  Fairly fragile, like a Spit or 109.

I fly it just like I fly a Spit V.  It has no speed, so if you are in enemy territory you need to avoid getting low and slow.  Once you get low on ammo you can't run from all the planes that are 75 mph faster.  So keep your altitude because this is your only escape option.  With a long shallow dive you can get to safety even against some of the fastest planes.

If a co-alt bandit decides to tangle with you, you should be able to kill him with your agility or at least force him to dive out of the fight.  Don't chase him, because Ki-61 has little acceleration and even less roll rate in a dive.  Let him go and regain altitude to look for the next target.

The guns are very good.  The clip is limited so you need to get very close.  I get most of my kills under 200 yards.  But at that range the concentrated fire of two cowl-mounted 20 mm is awesome.  The MG are almost worthless and I fire them only for strafing, scaring bandits into turning, and when I'm out of cannon.

If you can fly and shoot well enough to get <200 yard planform snapshots, then you can B&Z as well.  The plane is very effective in this role once you learn the guns.  But don't dive too far to get to an enemy, because this plane just BLEEDS energy at very high speeds.  And if you lose your energy you can't regain altitude, and if you can't regain altitude, you have no chance of escape from all the 1945 uber planes which are 75 mph faster in level flight.

[ 10-18-2001: Message edited by: funkedup ]