Author Topic: WAFFLESOUNDS Version 3.0 OUT!  (Read 2369 times)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
WAFFLESOUNDS Version 3.0 OUT!
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 09:14:59 AM »
Waffle,

are you sure you "fixed" the U.S. 50 cals?  they sounds really off to me.   If I remember right, the airl version of the 50 cal had a cyclic rate of 900 rounds per min.    What I hear is a much lower rate of fire which may be closer (450 rounds per min) to teh ground varient.  When combined they should sound like a constant rip rather than a stutter.  When I let loose with the 8 50's on the p47 it sounds like a stuttering motor not 120 rounds per second heading down range.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Inc. Aces High
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 01:39:25 PM »
I'll take a look at it - was trying to sync with looking at one gun for visual cues, (flashes,ect....also ground hit sprites) and guestimating the ammo counter.

One thing I have noticed in multiple gun situations (6-8 guns) where they use the same or similar wave file..is a "phase" issue that you get when the game plays triggered sounds - this is due to the spacing in the 3D posistioning of the sound. The 110s and Mossies are bad for this if you let all your guns rip..they sound one way with one trigger pull, pull it again it sounds different.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2004, 02:04:50 PM »
Went and listened to the p47 and checked the p40 since it only fire 2 guns at time instead of 2...

The p40 was shooting about 6-7 rounds with a quick pull...audibly there are 3 firing noise left / 3 right..it hard to tell.. which when you translate that to a p47 - would be double that...about 12-14 total rounds per quick burst which would only sound like 3 "firing sounds"  from one side or the other, due to the fact that the 8 gun p47 fires the inner 2 guns at same time and the outer 2 at same time.

I'm not sure if gun posistions 1,2 and 3,4 per wing alternated fire or they are set up correctly. IF they did alternate fire, then the p47 would sound like a chainsaw going off...good question to pose...might have to check it out in Aircraft and Vehicles forum :)

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 03:05:39 PM »
Ever hear a chaingun go off?  I'm pretty sure it sounds like that.  The tempo of the firing would be faster in relation to the number of guns firing.  For example, a fm2 (4 guns) would sound half as fast as a p47 (8 guns) but the sounds would still sound pretty continous.  None of the guns in the wings were synced so it would be all 8 guns firing at their own rate (~900 rounds per min).  They would not be firing each round at the same time unless by chance.  I think you might be confusing having sets of guns fire at the same time with guns that are synced to something like the cowl guns being synced to the prop speed...

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 03:28:50 PM »
No, no confusion about the sync..I understand that - the AH sound engine is playing posistions 1 and 2 per wing at the same time, posistions 3 and 4 are also played at the same time when guns are fired. In the sound engine they are synced. If they were out of sync - Ie postions 1,2,3,4 firing at different times - then it would sound like a chain gun. Unfortuneatly, I can't do anything with the timing that wouldn't make it sound really weird on a 2 gunned planes, or if you loose a gun on a multigunned plane

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 03:59:38 PM »
Started looking at figures and looking at my samples....about 30 ms too long. Could've sworn I had them at 70-75ms, I'll post a resampled a folder here for individual m2 sounds with a rate of fire of 850 RPM.

This might lead into an extensive workload...lol

Gathering rate of fire for all of the individual MG / cannons and editing for such. All in the quest for accuracy..lol

Doh - thought I was done with soundpacks! LMAO

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 04:14:37 PM »
You can't have the second set fire out of sync to help simulate that with a short silence delay?  There is no way to have a 2 gun sound, a 4 gun sound, 6 gun sound and a 8 gun sound and cover your bases?  In teh case of the p47... a 4 gun sound for the primary, 4 gun sound for the secondary and a 8 gun sound for both?  or, failing that, a 4 gun sond for primary and 8 gun sound for secondary?  You know this much better than I, just pondering...

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 04:40:24 PM »
Actually, I think changing the sample rate will help - try these:

Browing M2 sounds - higher RPM

I think Im going to go ahead and do some research on the RPM for different guns as well as work on a webpage which will have indivdual aircraft  sound downloads, as well as country specific packs, and whole packs. It will make it easier for me to upload and change files, as well as folks who just want to grab certain planes, ect...to try them out and download at ther conveniance.

When ever they check back with the site - if they see a red-updated note with a date, they can just download the new plane folder.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 04:42:47 PM by Waffle »

Offline rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2004, 06:30:28 PM »
sounds closer to me...  I'm not quite sure what "right" is.

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2004, 06:37:16 PM »
I based them off an average figure of 850 Rounds per second -
which may be ahigh average.

so 60 seconds divided by 850rounds  is roughly 70 milliseconds, per round - hence the new sample length.

Thats all that I can do :)

Offline Dralex

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2004, 04:56:08 AM »
All is good and amazing.

And I agree - flaps sound is very low.
I see in sound config, that flaps and gear sounds are at 100%.
I manually reduce engine sound from 80% to 45%. But even in that case flaps sound is low.

Offline Dralex

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: WAFFLESOUNDS Version 3.0 OUT!
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2004, 05:01:36 AM »
Originally posted by Waffle BAS
you can dowload a wave editor and open the "flaps.wav" file from the plane folder in the editor and change the volume/gain. You should try about +3 db. That should get you in the ballpark, if not - you can go back and increase/decrease to your liking.

It must be done for each plane separately? No 1 common sound for flaps?

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2004, 06:05:00 AM »
theres not a common sound for flaps - each plane has individual flaps sounds.

I guess I'm used to the sounds, because I can here the flaps, but if your coming from the default sounds or another soundpack, they will seem real low.

With an engine running loudly and with ear muffs/radio head gear on - I think that it would be hard to "hear" flaps - you'd be able to sense them and hear/feel someoperational noise. Same with landing gear - there'd be a few whines / motor noise and then a thump(s) when it locks into place - again more of a tactile sensation with muffled audio.

Offline Kaz

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2004, 06:04:09 AM »
Waffle I noticed a problem with the F6F flap sound. After doing some experimenting I figured the sound length was too short. If you listen to it retracting/extending it loops back to the beginning. Very minor detail and I fixed it easily enough.
Just giving you a heads up. :)

Offline Waffle

• HTC Staff Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2004, 03:27:21 PM »
cc-will look into it. almost finished with this crude website that will have individual planes available for download in .zip format. Will be easy enough to change to host. :)