Author Topic: Stick scaling suggestions?  (Read 693 times)

Offline mauser

• Nickel Member
Stick scaling suggestions?
« on: October 17, 2001, 11:51:00 AM »
Long, long ago in a ... well it was more like the time around the end of the first year of the beta.  It was suggested that the pitch scaling be adjusted so that it increased linearly from someone down low to 100% at 100% deflection or so.  This was to make flying planes such as the 190 easier, as it made it more difficult to be ham-fisted with the controls.  

However, I've since changed my scaling so that at the lowest deflection the slider is a little over 50%, then linearly rises to 100% at 100% deflection.  Thus the line has a much decreased slope.  My theory was that in the Dora, which is quite a bit faster than the A-series, more pilot strength would be necessary to pull it's nose around due to the increased pitch inertia and the higher speeds attainable.  

Does all of this make any sense?  Please correct me if I'm making wrong assumptions.  Also, how are the rest of you scaling your sticks (pitch mostly, my roll and everything else is straight at the top at 100%)?  It seems to me that the more experience you have with your machine, the less you need the stick scaling to be graded (unless you have hardware problems).  

mauser

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Stick scaling suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2001, 08:53:00 AM »
Mauser setting stick scalings is kind of like picking a wife. Its well, personal if you get my meaning. Some sticks are VERY sensitive, & need to step up in order to be flyable. Others aren't, and can be set to max across the board.

Some like a very responsive stick, others prefer a more docile controlable setup. Much also depends on what you fly & how you fly it.

Personally like you I start around 50%and step up so by slider 5 I'm maxxed out. However that setup with a MS Sidewinder Pre Pro would be unflyable I think sitting on a desk.

It works for me because I place the Jstick between my legs where I can brace my wrist on my leg for fine control.