Author Topic: Taking a Break for a While  (Read 637 times)

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
Taking a Break for a While
« on: August 03, 2000, 07:13:00 PM »
Hi All,
   I'm having a break. Not long, Maybe only a week or so perhaps a month. I really suck at the moment   (Yes I know I'm crap at the best of times but this is serious). I'm off to Scotland tomorrow for a week or so, with no PC so I can't even log on for a quickie or to check the BB. (What is that Scotch you like HT and how much do you need for me to get my Mossie)?

When I get back I will start pestering a few trainers I think. Don't get me wrong I know how to fly (Push stick forward sheep get bigger, Pull it back and they get smaller - Keep pulling back and they get bigger again   ). I can perform most basic evasive manouvers although anyone whose been on my 6 would probably disagree, Basically in combat I don't know where my next move is coming from. If I do get on someone's 6 I can usually stay there but then my other problem presents itself I can't shoot. I've filmed my flights but I just cannot get it right. Although I'm sure it would be virtually impossible, a view from the plane I am shooting at would help me immensely (Perhaps this is a possibility if "Padlock" is introduced - Although I don't like "Padlock").

Also I am seriously thinking it's about time I applied to join a Squad. Any takers? I have always tried to avoid joining a squadron preferring the "Lone Wolf" (or poodle in my case) approach as upto now I have not been able to be certain of when I can fly, but AH is becoming more & more about team work and very rarely do you find singles to duel with, so I think perhaps now is the time. (Knight's only please)   .

I have heard many people suggest using the ".join" command to see first hand how the better pilots do it. Perhaps that's another option I should try. A question about that. Do you see the fight from the other person's perspective? i.e. is the latency and therefore "Gun Lead" etc as the person you have "joined" see's it, or do you see it as your connection dictates, or somewhere in between?

Anyway that's about it, it's not an I quit post, more of a "Need a break c'os I Suck" post.

TTFN for a bit

snafu.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2000, 08:22:00 PM »
Bring back as much Scotch as possible Snafu.. if he wont trade it for a Mossie, then get him so intoxicated he'll do it anyway  

BTW, as far as joining another pilot, it only helps for you to see how that pilot sets up for attacks and stuff, but you wont see the bullets firing and the movement of the plane is a bit off due to lag.

Best thing I have found so far is to ask other players for some of their FILMS. With them you can see it all  .

Offline Rocket

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2000, 12:23:00 AM »
Email me anytime snafu and look up The Red Dragons website when ya get back.

I will work with ya anytime just drop an email and we'll set something up!
Enjoy the trip!!!!

S!
Rocket

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2000, 06:51:00 AM »
Hi Snafu

I've said the exact same things - repeatedly - I usually break the mood by going training for a while. Try to find Sharky - he is exceptionally good especially if you have RW working. I've been meaning to e-mail you about doing some work in the TA but work has been manic. Drop me a line when you get back from Scotland.

Sparks

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2000, 11:17:00 AM »
Let me know when you get back, just drop me a note and I would be happy to talk and work with you. In the meantime-- I envy that trip to Scotland!! enjoy that

ammo
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2000, 04:03:00 PM »
Hi All,
 Well I'm back, I was going to post a fantastic photo of Ben Nevis (If you looked closely you could just see A1)   but I can't get it to work   Oh well.

Rocket,
 I think it is about time "666 Squadron" was disbanded and if you have any vacant positions within "The Red Dragons". An email is on it's way.

Scotland as amazing with highs and lows. The scenery was the high point. I'm not one for emotion but..... breathtaking springs to mind. Trying to re attach the exhaust on my Scimitar GTE by torch light half way through the Glencoe Pass at 10pm the low point (My how we chuckled - Not).

If ever you are in the UK and need to "Get away from it all" Scotland is the place to go.

I did bring back some Scotch but.... Well you know how it is. Sorry HT s'pose I'll have to wait that bit longer for the Mossie.

I've trawled the BBS & Squad sites and downloaded all the AH films I can find. I will probably "dip my toe" back into AH this week and also re cap on Andy Bush's excellent articles on ACM. I plan to review my online time and try to spend a lot longer less often. At the moment I tend to manage 20 - 30 mins 5 times a week and one long session on a Friday. I plan to make this into possibly 3 - 4 times a week but make each one a proper session.

Sparks, ammo
 The training area sounds like a good idea

Tac,
 Perhaps we should ask for a "Plane Editor" to compliment the "Terrain Editor". Then we could have all the Mosquito's including the "High Ball" equipped version ready for the ships  

Did I miss Aces High? You bet.

Cya up there

TTFN
snafu

[This message has been edited by snafu (edited 08-13-2000).]