Author Topic: landing help  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Mogi

• Copper Member
landing help
« on: October 18, 2001, 07:21:00 PM »
Need some help on landings  (i.e. none successful yet!).  What airspeed is ideal, and should combat trim be on or off?

Thanks!  :confused:

Offline Greg 'wmutt' Cook

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.bak.rr.com/gcook/
landing help
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2001, 08:01:00 PM »
I have found that as a rule, when you turn on final, you should be established at about 150 IAS with as much flap as you are comfortable with (I use full).  The flaps issue is up to you.  The difference being the more flap you extend, the steeper you can make your decent.
You can land with combat trim on, but be aware that it will set your elevator trim at full up before you are done making correcting a too high approach a little harder.
Once lined up, make sure your gear is extended.  Decend and slow to around 100 IAS, 'aiming' to land right at the near edge of the runway.  Don't make any drastic power changes unless you are going to abort as the changes in trim can send you out of control.  When you are about 20 feet or so off the ground, change you landing point so that it is about 1/2 way down the runway,  This will cause you to flair the plane will settle onto the runway.
Here's the kicker, just coast down the runway until you have slowed down a good deal before you use the brakes.  As you slow down, use  small  control inputs.
This seems to hold true for almost all of the aircraft I have flown in the sim.

Offline Mogi

• Copper Member
landing help
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2001, 08:12:00 PM »
Thanks very much!

Offline Blue Mako

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org/BLUEmako.htm
landing help
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2001, 08:17:00 PM »
I would suggest here that you take the plane you are interested in and practice offline first.  Find out what speed it stalls at and aim to touch down at stall speed + 10 mph.  Also, avoid using aileron when close to the stall (aileron can cause a wing to stall early), use rudder for roll correction.

Offline Mogi

• Copper Member
landing help
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2001, 08:29:00 PM »
Thanks Blue Mako.  I'm not an advanced pilot, and when playing AW always used my rudder for correction.  

Thank you

Offline mrfish

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
landing help
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2001, 08:35:00 PM »
full flaps and 5-10 mph above stall (usually around 90-105 for me though i tend to land a bit slower than most)is my rule - just get her slow enough that you can keep some power on - there is less control when you are gliding and trying to blow energy.  :)

Offline Mogi

• Copper Member
landing help
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2001, 08:48:00 PM »
Thanks guys, and this reaffirms my subscription to AH, there IS Community!

former AW'er

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
landing help
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2001, 10:52:00 PM »
Ubet there is moogi! Give me a yell if your still having troubles or need help in other areas. Be glad to setup a time to meet if needed.

billj69@qwest.net
icq 2928062

Offline JV44

• Copper Member
landing help
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2001, 04:24:00 AM »
Hello!

The key for a sucsessful landing is a good approach. A good way is to overflow the field first to get familar of runway directions. Then decide for a runway and make the approach long enough, so you do not have turn to much to get alligned with the runway  

I use full flaps, at the beginning of the runway I cut the trottle and hover some feets above the runway, use elevator until I hear the beginning of the stall horn and let the plane touch down with three point, means the main- and tailwheel hit the ground at (nearly) same time, this minimize the chance of a ground loop. (Specialy F4U tendends to spin at take off and landings....)

Hope I can help

JV44 (Andreas)

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
landing help
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2001, 05:36:00 AM »
Thanks guys, and this reaffirms my subscription to AH, there IS Community!

Ofcourse there is,and we are a bunch of nice guys also  ;).
I will not expand on landingtechnics,think
that all has been said about that,,,,,but wel
come onboard Mogi  :)

Offline janjan

• Zinc Member
landing help
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2001, 07:13:00 AM »
I've found a couple of good ways to land and they are:

Make a good approach and auto level as engine idle - lower flaps and gear and let the speed slow near the stall. Then release auto level and let the plane dive a bit to runway and pull stick nice and easy. Just don't try this too near the deck, needs a more than usual altitude for approach.

Other one is that if landin straight descenting path - always control your descent rate by engine power - but not too fast changes...

Offline Starbird

• Copper Member
landing help
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2001, 08:39:00 AM »
Something I learned from chuck yeagers advanced flight trainer 1 (on a c64).

When landing, use elevators for speed, and throttle for altitude.

People will dispute the best way to make an approach, but this is the way I do it.

Once your lined up on final, aim for the closest point on the runway (as others have said).

If you see yourself going too fast, pull back on the stick a bit and erduce throttle some. If you're coming in too slow, lower the nose a bit and increase throttle.

If you're descending too fast, keep the same pressure on the elevator, but increase throttle. you'll see that the plane will start leveling off, but you won't be gaining any speed (if at all, unless you really gun it  :).

Basically you don't want to be throwing the stick around when your on final. Use slow deliberate commands. Think ahead of where you are. Where you want to be.

Once your over the runway, you should be less than 100 feet or so off the ground. Just chop the throttle and keep pulling back on the stick. try to touchdown at the slowest possible speed.

It takes practice to get used to it, especially on a 2d monitor, but once you know what an approach should look like, it becomes a lot easier.

Hmm. This might be a bit too much at first, but after some practice it becomes 2nd nature.

Offline airbull

• Nickel Member
landing help
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2001, 12:32:00 PM »
Watch your climb & decent indicator. Keep the last part of your landing under 1k a minute decent, best about 500ft a min. If your decent is to fast you will bust up.  :eek:
'Crashed slow-rolling near ground. Bad show'

http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk

Offline DanielMcIntyre

• Nickel Member
      • http://None as yet
landing help
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2001, 09:19:00 AM »
LOL Landing? he he

Its a myth!!!    :D

Offline vmfRazor

• Zinc Member
landing help
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2001, 04:26:00 PM »
not that I'm anygood but I saw a reply about the corsair and groundlooping  :) I try and make landings in the corsair at a higher speed not sure on the number but its faster than say the 51. That way the rudder can be used to counter the torque. and try and get the tailwheel down as soon as possible. I saw a WWII training film on the corsair and they said to keep the tailwheel on the ground as long as possible because the tail will rise before sufficient speed is acheived to make the rudder effective. Now on a carrier landing its not an issue cause you hook the wire and stop. After watching all that landing the F4U has been easy to me and I don't groundloop it as much anymore. Hope that helped probably not but oh well.

RazorDD