Author Topic: corsair wings (ripping enemy wings)  (Read 876 times)

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
      • http://members.fortunecity.com/terracota
corsair wings (ripping enemy wings)
« on: December 11, 2000, 03:11:00 PM »
hello Im a little confused about the following:

the other nigth I was flying my dhog, then a p-51 dived on me we started a long figth, then when I lose the angle I dived to dirt, to gain some E , the pony followed me when he was at about 600k then the only chance I had was to pull very hard on stick I blacked out completly when finished my very hard immelman I checked my six and what a surprise the pony tryed to follow my hard pull up and he was on a big cloud of smoke without hes 2 wings    
what the hell happened??? no more friendlys there so this was because he pulled very hard too, my dhog was just fine and the pony without his 2 wings and smoking then the system saids "you shot down xxx" and I dont shoted a single shot and he dont eated the dirt because when finished my immelman I ended at about 4k and the pony behind me at 1.5 k completly damaged   , I dont remember the other guy name     and dont have a film
so are the dhog wings made to support this kind of manuever? any historical background any comments? or how the hell this happned?
is just the dhog able to do that?

any comments will be very apreciated

Terra

[This message has been edited by terracota (edited 12-11-2000).]

[This message has been edited by terracota (edited 12-11-2000).]

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2000, 07:08:00 PM »
Terra,
It's been my experience that you have to be a little more careful with the 51's wings than those of the other allied fighters. Not sure why. I do know the 51 accelerates fast in a dive and you can easily overspeed. If he had combat trim on and started compressing then tried to trim up, the change from combat trim to regular trim can often be abrupt enough to pull the wings off the 51. I say this because that is exactly what has happened to me in the 51.

------------------
MarkAT

"It is not the critic who counts,
it is the man in the arena..."
Teddy Roosevelt
MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

funked

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2000, 07:22:00 PM »
The P-51D/K was an overweight plane.  The structure was never completely restressed for the additional equipment and fuel weights when they added the Merlin.  As a result the structural g limit of the plane was reduced.

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2000, 12:37:00 AM »
There are a number of reports that this actually happened in real life. It does it here in AH, you have to be carefull with the stang wings - else that happens...
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2000, 09:15:00 AM »
but this is a kind of wing failure???
we have another plane here with that problem?

have the f4ud(c) the best wings here? I think the configuration of the wings is good for something in the corsair, but I dont now for what

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2000, 02:36:00 PM »

Originally posted by terracota:
but this is a kind of wing failure???

From what i've heard, yes.

we have another plane here with that problem?

I've seen FW190s rip their wings before. Bombers can rip wings even easier.

have the f4ud(c) the best wings here? I think the configuration of the wings is good for something in the corsair, but I dont now for what

Not sure i understand your question. But i will take it as meaning: "Why are the Corsairs wings shaped the way they are?"
the answer to that is to make the landing struts as short as possible (which equals stronger for carrier operations) and yet give that big propellor enough ground clearance.

Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2000, 03:47:00 AM »
I have first hand experience with ripping wings off 190's  .

Even managed to do it on G10 twice.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline terracota

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2000, 10:36:00 AM »
interesting  
thanks for posts

terra

Offline RAM

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2000, 06:14:00 PM »

Originally posted by StSanta:
I have first hand experience with ripping wings off 190's  

It's been ages since I last rip wings in a 190   but there was a time when anytime I went over 450IAS i was terrified to pull up. I guess it was a bug.

Even managed to do it on G10 twice.

wow...109 breaking wings? unless you go in a supersonic dive...

I thought that it was impossible to do due the lack of stick response over 400IAS. personally I've never broken wings in a 109.

[This message has been edited by RAM (edited 12-15-2000).]

Offline ispar

• Nickel Member
      • http://None :-)
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2001, 01:08:00 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the gull wings on the Corsair had nothing to do with the landing gear. That wasn't a problem until the evolution of high-powered heavy weight jet aircraft.

The gull wings allowed the wings to join the fuselage at a 90 degree angle, which a) Increased structural strength, I believe, and b) Reduced drag. Why? I dunno. But the landing was not the reason, afaik.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2001, 06:23:00 PM »
From Joe Baugher's page on the Hog, I found out the following:

1) The gull wing design is normally seen on aircraft with fixed landing gear. Like the Ju-87. It reduces gear length, which reduced the space needed within the wing to store it. In the Hog, this allowed them to give suffecient prop clearance and save space at the same time.

2) Gull wings allow a designer to fit the wings to the fuselage in such a way as to avoid a wing fairing. Such a fairing causes drag, and since gull wings are mounted at an angle to the fuselage they reduce the drag. If you look at a head-on pic of a Hog you'll see the wings meet the fuselage at an angle. Look at a 109 or Pony and they meet it nearly head-on. A 90º turn in angle needs something to soften the wing-fuselage line. Hence the fairing. Since a Hog doesn't need this fairing, it avoids the drag caused by it. Nifty little bonus.

3) The original reason for the gull wing was to save space while giving it enough prop clearance. The P-47 has a mere 6 inches of prop clearance during takeoff (no kidding). The Hog has close to a full foot (9-11 inches from what I've read). Close, both not nearly as scary as a loaded P-47 trying to get in the air.

-----------------------
Flakbait
Delta 6's Flight School
"For yay did the sky darken, and split open and spew forth fire, and
through the smoke rode the Four Wurgers of the Apocalypse.
And on their canopies was tattooed the number of the Beast, and the
number was 190." Jedi, Verse Five, Capter Two, The Book of Dweeb

Lepton

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2001, 12:35:00 PM »
Yes, the gull wing on the Corsair was a result of requirements for carrier landings. The high shock loading placed on the gear in a less than perfect landing required 1) stiff, strong landing gear and 2) plenty of ground clearance for the prop. Getting the clearance for the prop without the gull wing design resulted in long gear that would have been much too heavy and bulky if built strong enough to meet the required loading. The gull wing design, while more complex to build, solved the problem by allowing shorter gear. The reduced drag resulting from not having a wing fairing was a secondary bonus.

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2001, 02:17:00 PM »
A very important feature about the gull shaped wings is that they look really cool.  

Rogue