Author Topic: La-7.....frusteration.....rising.....  (Read 5041 times)

Offline 4510

• Copper Member
La-7.....frusteration.....rising.....
« Reply #180 on: November 12, 2004, 07:49:59 AM »
Originally posted by Tilt
Snip...

I know that if I go into or even close to the enemy pack and hit some sort of e sapping furball mode I will not get out. Going in chasing a few tails in the sure and certain knowledge that I may get a few and then die is to me ............ boring.

To me the challenge is kill a few and get home.........I could get 10 kills and to my mind they count for nothing if I do not bring them home. (not that I ever get 10 kills)

Snip

Tilt,

Thanks... I couldn't have said it any better.  About the only difference for me is I was hung up on German planes.  So it was the Dora or G10 for me.  

If the fight is of relatively equal numbers and I have help available I often flew the Fw190a5 or the 109F4.

Offline Zanth

• Silver Member
      • http://www.a-26legacy.org/photo.htm
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2004, 09:18:31 AM »
I forget, what is the topic of this thread again? lol

Offline DoKGonZo

• Silver Member
      • http://www.gonzoville.com
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2004, 11:13:26 AM »
Originally posted by Zanth
I forget, what is the topic of this thread again? lol

What I find to be the La-7's biggest weakenesses are the forward visibility and the guns themselves. It's pretty easy for an La-7 driver to lose sight of you amidst the cockpit framing. And unless he's under D300 he's wasting ammo firing at all. Against someone who knows what they're doing this won't help, but against most people in the MA it's enough to either shake them or get them far enough out of range that they're not much of a threat. Most MA pilots are so entrenched in the La-7's speed advantage and the on-paper lethality of 3 20mm's that they become easily fixated on a tail-chase. If you're flying with friends, then that means the La-7 is soon to become a Tender Vittle.

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2004, 11:16:35 AM »
To me the challenge is kill a few and get home.........I could get 10 kills and to my mind they count for nothing if I do not bring them home. (not that I ever get 10 kills)

That is my objective also :)

I fly at about 10k, occasionally 12 or 13K, but such a height is counter productive to an effective pounce on most fights which are near the deck.  You only need about 3k of alt over a bogey for a really effective bounce.

If you fly something that will not allow you to make a long extended run home, like the 190A8, you have to be much more discriminating than if you fly a Pony, Dora or a Russian Rocket.  Those planes can just flat run you down with several slathering NIKI's or Spit following them to chew on the pieces.  I wouldn't try attacking a base that is being vulched in a A8 unless there were others of my side comming so I could drag a few cons out to the slaughter :)

Offline Misfit

• Nickel Member
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2004, 12:43:33 PM »
Bottom line, ( this is a statement not really looking for a disscusion). There are 4 planes in the MA that make a bad pilot average, an average pilot decent and a decent pilot good. Spit V/IX, La7 and the Niki.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2004, 02:10:19 PM »
MisFit,

I'd definately add the P-51D to that list.

And the Spitd and N1K2-J aren't annoying because they can be killed easily whereas the La-7 just leaves with a bit of damage.  It is very irritating.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2004, 02:24:15 PM »
Originally posted by Misfit
Bottom line, ( this is a statement not really looking for a disscusion). There are 4 planes in the MA that make a bad pilot average, an average pilot decent and a decent pilot good. Spit V/IX, La7 and the Niki.

Hmmm....

A bad pilot in a lala is still just a bad pilot...but he does run faster:D

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2004, 02:58:03 PM »
Originally posted by Misfit

:rofl

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2004, 03:09:28 PM »
Last night in the midst of an ongoing brawl between 128 and 129 it got to the point of bordering on the rediculous in terms of LA7s

My comment at the time was that just once I'd like to hear someone call something else besides "LA7s high"

The guys who were fighting the LAs, and the 262s that were also there, were in P40s, P47s, 38s, Hurri IIs and Spit Vs.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline AKFokerFoder+

• Nickel Member
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2004, 04:11:55 PM »
IMHO a bad pilot is a target, and a bad pilot in a LA7 is just a fast target :D

And often a overconfident target who bleeds off his E in furballing, and then he becomes a slow target :rofl

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #190 on: November 13, 2004, 12:51:12 PM »
Karnak, read the thread I started on using manual trim for the Ki-84... It makes this Doctor Jekyll a genuine Mr. Hyde.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.