Author Topic: HL2 starts in aprox 8 hours...  (Read 3965 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
HL2 starts in aprox 8 hours...
« Reply #90 on: November 22, 2004, 02:00:23 PM »
Repost from the Steam fourms.....
And I refer u to the other post on HT: http://www.hitechcreations.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136012
For those of you especially who think the story is weak:

*don't read unless you beat both, or don't care to spoil the ending.. you may want to read it when you finish hl2. There are no cliffs, so dont ask, and i dont care if you dont read it*

As we all know, Gordon doesn't talk. This was a design feature, so that you know what he knows and he knows what you know. Especially in HL2 where you are dropped in the middle of a world with İİİİ going on you have no clue on. The only reason we even have reason to believe it is Earth, is because all your old friends are there, and no one mentions "traveling to another world." The thing I love about this story, is because (now I'm playing hl2 a second time) I notice things the second time around I missed completely, same with the first, and now that I'm play hl1 source, I'm noticing a few other things as well.

Hl1 starts out with you in the infamous tram. As you near the destination, some information is revealed to you about Gordon. MIT Graduate in theoretical physics, your clearance, and your sponser, who is unknown. Weird as that may be, when HL2 starts, gman says "The right man in the wrong place can make a world of difference." and even though at the end of HL1 he says "I like a survivor, reminds me of myself." It SOUNDS like he didn't know you, but WHY do you see him all the time in both games? Following you. Not to mention near the end of HL2 the Administrator says something about how as a baby, you were given something (I can't remember right now) that explains why a mere scientist can blow up entire human/alien/combine armies, but still not completely clear.

Anyway, the sponser wouldn't surpirse me at all, if it turned out to be Gman. He anonomously sponsers you to work at black mesa, cuz he KNOWS İİİİ is going to go down.

Now, why were they trying to get aliens in other dimensions in the first place? Well in the first, you kill the Nihilath, which controls them all. Therefor leading them all leaderless. I would think the administrator wanted this, as in the second you see many vortgornauts (sp?) used as slaves. The dude with the broom right as you get off the train.

When you get to black mesa east, in HL2, as you descend the elevator, there are Vort's cooking (your friends, clearly.. perhaps they like humans cuz you saved them from being slaves to the nihilath.) headcrabs. Then later, at ravenholm, you hear the priest say "I must tend to my flock." It may be possible, after a time, they brought over the aliens for food (Maybe something to do with humans using all their resources on earth, so we looked for alternatives). Also, clearly, they use them as weapons when "shelling" an area.

As for the Gman, something tells me he knew you before Black Mesa. Something also tells me he is not only fully aware of what is going to happen, but also, perhaps he holds a greater purpose in this war.

http://www.phenylshouse.com/members...oast_030000.jpg

In that pic on the coast. You are looking through a combine binocular set up. Though it seems like an ordinary "Hey, the gman is there" situation. I zoomed in on that pic (try it yourself) he is talk to the colonol (the dude with the british accent who gives you the RPG) Check out the leet toque on his head. I'm sure it is him. So, then you drive over to that town and everyone says "We are expecting a Gunship attack." Now how the İİİİ do they know that? Could be a few ways, intercepted radio transmissions, or maybe the Gman said it. Maybe the Gman SOLD the RPG to them (Perhaps he makes profit on war. As he says at the end of the game, "I have numerous employers who want to buy you." or whatever.) Also, when going on the underground railway (in the canel) you drop down into a broken down rail cart, with a Vort and a Resistance member. If you are quick enough, you can see the Vort, by the TV, is watching the Gman... Why? İİİİ if I know.

Anyway, when you are in nova prospekt and teleport out, and then, even though, your travel instantly to the Dr. Klieners Lab, he says it's been a week. I heard some moron on another board say "It's because they couldn't figure out how to start the rebellion, and wanted to get the game out." Well, maybe, but I figure it's to prove that the teleporters dont only transport you, but can go through time. Though, kliener says it's a "Slow teleport", perhaps it is an accelerated teleport. Maybe thats why gordon went straight from blackmesa, to city17 without anything in between, even though its been about 10 years.

How do I know it has to be about 10 years? When you get to Eli Vance, in Black Mesa East, and you can check out a picture of him, his wife, and Alyx. In that pic, she looks about 8-10. (Maybe younger) and Eli says "Ahh, you remember my wife don't you? That was the only thing I could save from Black Mesa". Well clearly Alyx is no little girl anymore.. and is at LEAST 20, if not older. So yes, a fair bit of time has passed.

As for the combine, what are they? I noticed while inside the citadel, there were "Mechanics" of some sort. Looked humanish, but with legs (shorter) like striders (little stick legs). The Administrator is also constantly talking about immortality and "Evolution". It SOUNDS like he is doing something to the captured humans to accelerate evolution. Being the combine? Could be.. I wouldn't doubt those Engineer's seen working on İİİİ in the Citadel, have their own Combine uniform.

Now for the "Benefactor's". When you do the teleport at the beginning, the admin says "Who are you? How did you get here?" You teleport away. When you come back you see him talking on a Video thing, with .. something, saying "I Think it was Gordon Freeman" or whatever. Well, later in the game, when you sneak up on him, he is talking to that "thing" again. It looks alien, maybe a robot? I'm thinking when he says he is going to teleport to another "Universe" that is where he is going and that is who the "Benefactors" are, and they are the one's who gave him the citadel, and who gave him this power over everyone.

As for all the people, you notice a few people you talk to mention "Scientists" and when you get to the "Sandtrap" chapter, one guy lies by his dead friend saying "Why? He was the finest mind of this age". They are capturing all the bright minds to use them to evolve to greater beings to create a master race? Maybe.

Lastly, the Gman is always seen everywhere, and disapears. Even at dead ends, he more than likely teleports somewhere else. He aslo, as you see in the end, holds some serious power/technology. He İİİİing stops time. Who knows what happens to alyx, I'm sure she is fine though. Right at the end, he pulls a "matrix" and steps out of the darkness through a door (like the hallways full of doors in the matrix, though cooler and less İİİ than reloaded.) I'm assuming he has some great technology at his disposle, for whoever his "empolyers" are, and whatever his purpose is and whatever his job actually is.

Yeah, I'm done.

Edit: I'd like to add the part at the Sand Trap level, he says "he was the finest mind of HIS generation" So I wouldn't be surprised to find out that these teleporters do involve time travel and they took brilliant minds from all places and times on earth.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 02:07:27 PM by Wolfala »

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline texace

• Silver Member
      • http://www.usmc.mil
« Reply #91 on: November 22, 2004, 03:06:18 PM »
I suppose my write up would be considered more along the lines of fan fiction, since there really isn't a "real" storyline laid out before or even during HL1. We know that the aliens are attacking, and that the government is there to clean up. I wrote my story based on a lot of things I've read, plus what I have concluded about the HL universe. I mean, why would the aliens be attacking Black Mesa only? That wouldn't make any sense. In my mind, the story I'm working on probably close to the actual timeline, but knowing some of the other hardcore fans out there, I may be way off base.

Yes, Nihilanth was a "lesser" leader, as there is no way that he alone could control the entire planet of Xen.  In terms of power, Nihilanth is probably as powerful as the G-Man. His boss, as well as Nihilanth's controler, would be the one responsible for the Black Mesa incident. Nihilanth was merely a controller. He is the one that controlled the vortigaunts and most of the other creatures that invaded Black Mesa. He did not have control over the headcrabs or the barnicles, but most of the other creatures were his. This would explain why the vortigaunts are your friends and some classic HL creatures like bullsquids, the ichyasour, houndeyes, the alien grunts, and the flying creatures are absent this time around.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: November 22, 2004, 05:23:49 PM »
I bought HL2 today, installed it off the CDs fine.

Steam is a piece of **** and I hate it.

Fifteen minutes after CDs are done with installation, it's still decrypting files. Maybe I'll be able to play the game tonite... maybe.
-SW

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #93 on: November 22, 2004, 05:37:52 PM »
Who or what is the G-Man?  Maybe I haven't been paying attention!

Maybe I did see him, I dunno... but when I was in the Water Hazard area, working my way over to lower that dam-door (the one that only goes down 1/2 way)... I noticed a dude way over on the other side in what looked like a blue suit, holding a red briefcase.  Didn't think much about it but figured I'd take a look through binoc's after I cleared the area.  When I came back around the corner, he was gone... and I haven't seen "that" guy since.  G-man?  Some kinda wierd Easter-egg?  What?

Tumor
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: November 22, 2004, 05:48:49 PM »
I need to replay HL1.  Been so long.

Wolf, that isn't your write up is it? :)

The story is... interesting... in my opinion.  Calling it weak is probably a result of frustration from crapola cliff-hanger endings.  I can make the story of my own life interesting as well simply by telling only smaller, more exciting bits and pieces.  I could make my own cliff hangar ending when I'm on the can... "Will he make it?  Will the toilet dominate him or will he dominate the toilet?  Did G-man give him food poisoning!?  WHAT IF IT DOESN'T FLUSH!!"

It's a business move by Valve.  Even if the overall story is only on par with B-class sci-fi movie, it'll sell more copies of the next title and extend HL1 and HL2's life considerably.

I'll probably lose interest in the next 6 years while waiting for a HL3... would be nice for a few more tidbits.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Tumor

• Platinum Member
      • Wait For It
« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2004, 05:57:17 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius

I'll probably lose interest in the next 6 years while waiting for a HL3... would be nice for a few more tidbits.

I was/am pretty cranked with Valve not carrying through with Team Fortress II (and their refusal to make any statements on it).  Maybe they will finally get to it.
"Dogfighting is useless"  :Erich Hartmann

Offline moose

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ccrhl.com
« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2004, 06:00:31 PM »
well, i would think there is a basis for a real good expansion pack that would further the storyline. i dont see a reason not to try and use the current engine for more seeing as it's so damn good looking

btw, whats the word on multiplayer? I didnt realize that Hl2 didnt come with it other then CS:S. (cs is fun tho, but i want straight up DM action!)
<----ASSASSINS---->

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2004, 06:11:02 PM »
You can force multiplayer through the console but people can only join be connecting via direct ip.

CS did come with HL2 depending on what package you purchased. With Silver you get it for free.

CS:S is still better...

That write up is from the steam forums and there is a lot of innaccurate info...

Gman = Gordan Freeman

He is an older Gordan traveling through time...

A lot of it is left up to your imagination a lot of it can be found within both HL1 and HL2...

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2004, 08:07:44 PM »
Oct - the writeup was taken from the steam fourms - as stated before the writeup.

Wolf

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline SunKing

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2004, 06:24:41 AM »
10pm-4am, 1 2liter of Pepsi Cherry and I  just finished it. Incredible mapping... ending bah... bring on DOD:S!!!

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2004, 07:23:34 AM »
lol @ Coct!
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline AKS\/\/ulfe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2004, 07:40:40 AM »
The graphics are pretty sweet, disappointed you can't beat on dead bodies and have blood splatter on the ground. I did that in HL1, in this one room a body wouldn't explode after so many hits (they always did) - so I just kept beating it until I painted the floor, ceiling and walls with blood. Destroyed my framerate, but it was fun. One thing that is cool is how you can beat a body and it moves accordingly on the ground.

I got to some point on the fan boat, where trucks fire missles at you. It's fun to just run straight into those guys dropping down from the bridges.

But anyway, I got the one that came with just CS:S (looks a lot better than I remember the first CS, did they improve everything?) ... is there a newer CS that uses everything the new HL2 engine offers? This engine is a lot faster, with better graphics IMO, than the DoomIII engine on my computer.

All in all, pretty fun - but it's really not too hard yet.

I still hate Steam, when I attempted to get CS:S started - I sat there staring at that damn Steam thing for 3 minutes before it loaded the game up. I hope it only does that the first time you first install and run the game, because if I have to wait 15 minutes before HL2 loads up... well I guess I have to...
-SW

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #102 on: November 23, 2004, 07:52:39 AM »
Depends of the systems/connections I guess... for some strange reason it's "pretty" quick on my sh*tbox system. But yes... the installation and post-installation procedures were a pain in the ... neck.

Enable the console on your shortcut to speed up the initial loading time ("shortcut path" -console). It will disable the background on the menu though.
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Overlag

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: November 23, 2004, 09:31:43 AM »
Originally posted by Wotan

That write up is from the steam forums and there is a lot of innaccurate info...

Gman = Gordan Freeman

G man = the multiplayer model name for Govenment man, nothing to do with Gordan freeman
Adam Webb - 71st (Eagle) Squadron RAF Wing B
This post has a Krusty rating of 37

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
« Reply #104 on: November 23, 2004, 11:32:21 AM »
G man = the multiplayer model name for Govenment man, nothing to do with Gordan freeman

That's what they want to think :p

Trust no one...