Author Topic: Help me  (Read 993 times)

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
Help me
« on: March 29, 2001, 01:29:00 AM »
I really couldt use some help with my gunnery
,,,,i can`t hit squat,
My flyin skills is ok(i think),,,but when i get that guy in sight,,,or girl(hehe) am just sprayin all over the place hittin nothing.So i wouldt appreciate some advice

Offline BaneX

• Zinc Member
Help me
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2001, 01:40:00 AM »
Well one tip would be to get closer.. I almost never open fire beyond 300yds. I'm not the best shot by far, but I'm definitely near the top.

Bane
13th TAS

RoadfRash

Help me
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2001, 04:26:00 AM »
Make sure to converge all your guns in the hanger to 300 yards or so!

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
Help me
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2001, 04:54:00 AM »
Dawvgrid,
The guys have given you some good advice. It is best to wait (takes patience) till you are within 300 yards or so before shooting.

Another thing to consider is how you set your convergence. It will depend in large part on the plane you fly. I fly the P-47 and with 4 pairs of guns I can set various convergences for each pair. I set the innermost pair at 250 and the next pair outboard at 275. The third pair out I set at 300 and the outermost at 325.

What I am looking for in this is to get a broader range of fire for snap shots yet have them reasonably close together to have a lot of impact on relatively stable target.

Another thing I have done is to disable tracers. It may seem strange to do so to improve gunnery but it does force me in closer before making my shot.

I am by no means a good shot but my gunnery has improved with these settings.

Your stick scaling, the settings affecting the blue graph on the left of the joystick setup menu, will affect your gunnery too. I set mine to reduce the effect of the stick off center. It helps stabalize your plane some and makes maintaining a sight picture easier.

Hope this helps.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
Help me
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
Thanks all,,i`ll guess am just to eager to get that kill,,,,,cya all out there,,friend or foe

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Help me
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2001, 08:23:00 AM »
Use the zoom as well, to zoom in thru your gunsight. (Z key and [] to adjust)

SKurj

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
Help me
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2001, 09:05:00 AM »
I don't use zoom when firing.

If you need to use zoom, you are not close enough.  Also, when you are zoomed in, it changes your perspective and can make it much more difficult to hit.

I zoom to determine the attitude and flight path of the bogey, but I always shoot in the regular view, unzoomed.

Check out my view article here for more details: http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/views.htm

------------------
Sean "Lephturn" Conrad - Aces High Chief Trainer

A proud member of the mighty Flying Pigs
http://www.flyingpigs.com

Check out Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH articles and training info!

Offline Naudet

• Nickel Member
Help me
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2001, 12:49:00 AM »
Hey Davw, ur flying skill is really good already.

Was a great fight yesterday.

But to the gunnery issue, yesterday u flew the D9 vs. me, a few pilot say its gunnery is screwed up. And testing seems to show that this is real not just a feeling.

But again the most effecive way is to get closer. i.e. in our dogfight yesterday i did not start firing up to the point were u where within 300 yards. This was btw the burst that killed u.

Also if u try deflection shoots its pretty hard in AH if ur new.

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
Help me
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2001, 04:28:00 AM »
Thanks Naudet
My greatest mistake always,is am gettin to
eagergettin that kill,but yesterday was an improvement,,,not against you though.
I mainly fly LW,,fw190 my favorite,,but that
is especially hard to succeed a  deflectionshot in,,you gonna participate in the Hostile Shores I reckon

cya Nau

Beltfedd

Help me
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2001, 05:08:00 PM »
Great idea on the stick scaling, I also find myself missing very easy shots just because I seem to overcorrect too much when close in.  Will try it when I get home from work today  .

Beltfedd