Author Topic: So you want to see some combat?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
So you want to see some combat?
« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2004, 05:39:25 PM »
Originally posted by Steve
The Treaty of Versailles was very oppressive and is a significant reason why Hitler was able to come to power.

I want to read your essay about this, good luck.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #46 on: November 19, 2004, 12:04:12 AM »
Originally posted by GScholz
Dowding, you seriously expect these people to show respect? They demand respect for themselves and lash out at anyone attempting to present a different view, and they show utter contempt in doing so. SOP.

Nothing like admitting it.  I love irony.  You do it for sake of argument GScholz, but you keep denying it.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: Well
« Reply #47 on: November 19, 2004, 12:27:53 AM »
Originally posted by Blue2

"So I guess that you are in the camp that Chamberlin was good for history and Churchill was bad."

Chamberlain was a drunk and an embarassment.  

Actually Hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

"Maybe he was. If we were to be selfish we might just have ended up better off as a nation without that crippling financial debt and all the lives lost during WW2. I don't think Hitler seriously wanted to destroy the British Empire. He admired it and tried to create his own perverted version in Russia. His Invasion threat was a bluff to force us to the table. He had every opportunity to destroy our army at Dunkirk. Instead German strategy effectively disarmed it and let the troops go home!"

Are you serious?  Seems to me after reading countless books on Dunkirk in my life so far, is, I've never read that.  I have read countless about Hitler listening to Goehring about using the Luftwaffe to "annihilate the B.E.F. at Dunkirk", instead of sending the Panzer Divisions and other misc. ground units available.   I think you are failing to grasp the REALITY of "Operation Sea Lion".  You should read more.

"Unselfishly I think Churchill was right and some things are just too much to let go un answered. We were right to fight."  

Kinda like how Churchill and Roosevelt screwe dover the Poles?  But those Poles sure were used by the Empire to become the most proficient Squadrons in the "RAF".  Churchill was so "great" that he didn't allow any of the Polish veterans to participate in the 1946 victory parade in London.  

"Thing is though history is a mix of both. Unselfishness when it suits. If the US was a truely unselfish freedom exporter why not go to war in all the other places injustice happens. Didn't see them help in Ruanda, or Bosnia, ormany other places. Neither does any other nation. MostWars are inevitably political and iraq is one of those."

US has troops in Bosnia, last I checked.  My buddy's old National Guard unit is due to go to Bosnia next year.  They actually went to Evjemoen, at the Joint Training Facility a few years back, before he left the NG.

War aint the solution anymore we learned that in Europe 60 years ago.  Pity we can't learn that lesson when it comes to exporting war.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: November 19, 2004, 12:31:04 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
The Treaty of Versailles was very oppressive and is a significant reason why Hitler was able to come to power.

It was a platform for a Fanatic with men stupid enough to follow him.   Then again, Germany did kinda start the Great War.

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Suave

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2004, 04:44:41 AM »
The Big Red One, a long way from kansas, doing what they love. Heart warming :)