Author Topic: 109G10 - damage bug  (Read 461 times)

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
109G10 - damage bug
« on: November 22, 2004, 12:01:19 PM »
Lost my vertical stabs, aircraft handled like they were gone, but when I looked back the left hand side one was still drawn as attached.  I have a screenshot if you really want it.

-Soda

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
109G10 - damage bug
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 02:47:49 PM »
You mean horizontal stabs?

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
109G10 - damage bug
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 03:52:26 PM »
Same with spitfire, loosing vertical stab or horizontal stabs doesnt show when i look back at my plane, it still looks as if it is ok.

Loosing elevator only shows though.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
109G10 - damage bug
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 05:09:33 PM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
You mean horizontal stabs?

Yes, sorry, horizontal...

-Soda

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
109G10 - damage bug
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 05:54:33 PM »
Soda was that last night with my jug?  (Was a lucky black out shot by the way).

On other occasions I've noticed one horizontal stab fly off of my target and a moment later the second stab flies off.  Why is that?  Does losing one H-stab create a huge force on the other side allowing it to snap off?   I've seen pictures of aircraft landed with half or more of one H-stab shot off.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
109G10 - damage bug
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2004, 09:19:34 AM »
I've always wondered about this Oct.

I've asked the question on the boards, and apparently some people did testify that they in fact experienced the state of getting only one h-stab ripped off.

But curiously, I've never seen it happen to me. It's always two stabs at once. Same on both the receiving and inflicting end - I see some pings on the h-stab, and its either both instantly falls off, or one falls off and then the other.

I've experimented with the offline drones that knocking down only one of the h-stabs is possible... but I've yet to see it in the game.

Quite strange I must say..

Offline Dux

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
109G10 - damage bug
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2004, 09:40:32 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
I've experimented with the offline drones that knocking down only one of the h-stabs is possible... but I've yet to see it in the game.

Offline drones don't react to missing parts, so they don't undergo the aerodynamic stresses of a sudden pitchup or whatever. I don't think I've ever seen just one pop off in the game either, and I suspect that's why.
Rogue Squadron, CO
5th AF, FSO Squadron, Member

We all have a blind date with Destiny... and it looks like she's ordered the lobster.

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
109G10 - damage bug
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2004, 02:50:33 PM »
I'm not an expert on internal aircraft structure, but like Oct says I've too seen many pics of battle damage and many of them with planes with only one h-stab left.

Quite curious, as it really seems none of the other parts look like they are receiving such "secondary impact" from aerodynamic stresses alone.

I find it hard to believe that the sudden increase in aerodynamic pressures would be so tense as to rip the opposite h-stab off. By that logic, wouldn't a plane also automatically lose its opposite wing when it loses one wing, in much simular manner where a control surface suddenly disappears and the burden of force increases two fold on the remaining surface?

Offline WesDawg

• Zinc Member
109G10 - damage bug
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 10:49:43 AM »
A wing would be a different animal than a flight control surface as it is bolted/reinforced as opposed to being a hinged panel like most flight controls and flaps, if that makes any sense.

~Wes