Author Topic: Just a few questions from a newbie  (Read 603 times)

Offline TheCanadian

• Zinc Member
Just a few questions from a newbie
« on: June 28, 2001, 10:51:00 PM »
Ok, there is a few things that I would like to know about this game before I start t play it.
I don't have a joystick, is this going to be a problem for me if I don't use one to fly?
How advanced is the controls and such, like do I have to have REAL flight experience to know what the heck is going on to fly?
Thanks

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2001, 04:28:00 AM »
Hey The Canadian  :)
        Ok so when playing Aces High I usualy tell anyone I teach that you really do need a joystick with a throttle and a "Twisty" stick or rudder pedals are almost essential if you want to get anywhere in the game.

The controls and flight modeling is very realistic but things such as engine management is not modled as yet. You can fly the game with a mouse but you have little or no chance of being competitive.

The best way to learn is to go online and into the training arena and ask for help. Most people in this comunity are kind foak I am sure they will be happy to help you.

Offline Mark Luper

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2001, 05:27:00 AM »
Betown is right is suggesting you get a joystick and even though it would be really nice to have a throttle and rudders on it, which can be bought fairly reasonably, you could get by with a 4 button joystick that has a throttle wheel or lever on it. Those can be had for as little as $10. That low end stick wouldn't be much, you can use the keyboard for throttle and rudder and some guys actually do fairly well with that combo.

If you really want to fly with the mouse though one thing I suggest is that you set your FE (front end, your version of the game on your computer) to autotakeoff. You can do that by clicking on the setup button on your clipboard, then clicking on the flight button. There is a button there that allows you to set that up.

MarkAT

Keep the shiny side up!

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2001, 08:08:00 AM »
Autotakeoff should be on by default.

When you press fly, if you advance your throttle all the way (shift = I believe) and touch nothing, your plane should take off, raise it's gear, and begin climbing on auto-trim for speed.  Once you get up to about 5,000 feet or so and have some room to maneuver, then you can disengage the auto-trim for speed by moving your controls.  Have fun.  :)

Oh, and there is more to do than just fly planes.  If you do not have a joystick yet, you can always drive a PT boat, man a fleet or ground gun, or drive an amphibious vehicle, tank, or AA vehicle.  Lots to do besides fly, and much of those things can be done pretty well with a mouse and the keyboard if that's what you have.  :)

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2001, 09:24:00 AM »
And those shore batteries do work!!!  Killed me a CV from a shore battery last night, I did!   :D
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline johnross11

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2001, 08:57:00 PM »
I don't have a joystick either(have one in a week or so :)), and when trying to fly with mouse i almost immediatly had to put on the auto-flight again. It's very hard to FLY with a mouse. that's why I ALWAYS use ground or water vehichles or gun for someone else.