Author Topic: Stupidest thing you've done while driving  (Read 2946 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Stupidest thing you've done while driving
« Reply #60 on: December 01, 2004, 08:46:15 AM »
Back in the 80's when I was driving 18 wheelers cross country, I had a habit of catching cat naps in the driver's seat instead of crawling in the sleeper. If I laid down I would be out for 6-8 hours, sleeping in the seat I would only nap an hour or two and could stay on schedule.

I was an owner/ operator and had to push myself very hard to keep the wheels rolling and make near impossible deadlines dispatchers put on me. On more than one occassion I fell asleep at the wheel and this scared the **** out of me. Falling asleep while driving almost became a phobia to me.

So.....this one night I woke up and all I could see was the back of a truck trailer I was just feet away from smashing into! I jerked the wheel left and slammed on the brakes, then yanked hard right....then realised I was parked in a crowded Rest Area not moving at all. I looked around to make sure nobody was standing there laughing their arse off at me and tried to recover from my near heart attack.

From that point on if I took a nap in the seat I put a pillow on the steering wheel. If I woke up and the pillow was there everything was cool. No pillow and I was free to proceed with a coronary.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline lazs2

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: December 01, 2004, 09:02:04 AM »
Once long ago when I was really drunk I pulled in to get gas and a cop pulled in after me.   I could barely stand but was doing my best to look normal even tho I was a biker with a beat up sedan deville caddy.    After I gassed up I got into the car with as little stumbling as I could manage and noticed that I wasn't looking at the steering wheel but at the back of the front seat.

lazs

Offline mora

• Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2004, 09:02:37 AM »
Originally posted by mosgood
Got my first (and last) D.U.I. a little over a week and a half ago.  :eek:

Since then I've been hearing a lot of info about accidents related to drinking and driving....  23% of car accidents are related to it.  

Didn't you receive any alcohol related education in high school and driving school?:rolleyes:

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2004, 10:37:18 AM »
Originally posted by lazs2
Once long ago when I was really drunk I pulled in to get gas and a cop pulled in after me.   I could barely stand but was doing my best to look normal even tho I was a biker with a beat up sedan deville caddy.    After I gassed up I got into the car with as little stumbling as I could manage and noticed that I wasn't looking at the steering wheel but at the back of the front seat.

lazs

LOL

After a long, stressful day at work I was going down one of the main streets in town in a bit of a hurry.  I had been behind some idiot that had to drive 10 below the speed limit, so at this point I was pretty twerked, and proceeded to pass the slow-poke.  As I came up to a light I noticed a long line of cars in front of me and wondered where everyone was going.  
   So I sit there, and I sit there, and finally the slow-poke passes me and makes a left turn through the green turning light.  Now pretty pissed, I lay on the horn and look around furiously for why these people are sitting at a light.  Two more cars pass and make a left turn, then a third goes straight through the green light in front of the line in front of me.  So I lay on the horn again and right at this point I notice noone is sitting in the car in front of me, the horn dies off symbolic of my dying humility.  
   As I wheel around the car in front of me I nbtice none of the cars have occupants and at this point I realize I was sitting behind parked cars in front of a Funeral Service.  Luckily, the deceased didn't come out that day.

Offline mosgood

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2004, 10:43:08 AM »
Originally posted by mora
Didn't you receive any alcohol related education in high school and driving school?:rolleyes:

nope  ........

:rolleyes:    <--  back at ya

Offline JCLerch

• Copper Member
      • http://Lerch.no-ip.com/atm
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2004, 10:51:01 AM »
Does this count?

No Breaks, No steering, No rear suspension, 5ft wheel base, 400cid small block, so lets chain it to a tree and do burn outs :0

More images here:
http://lerch.no-ip.com/atm/Projects/Play_Day/page_01.htm