Author Topic: Mystery pings  (Read 616 times)

Offline Erlkonig

• Nickel Member
Mystery pings
« on: June 29, 2001, 02:58:00 PM »
I made this film yesterday while attacking a lone B-17 in a 190D9. With the help of a fellow countryman, I thought that I had downed the 17 while receiving neglible damage. I received a nasty surprise as he was plummeting earthwards - I heard bullet strikes and my radiator was busted (indicated by the smoke trail). I ended up having to ditch after overshooting the runway.
 Phantom pings

You can't tell from the film, but he was firing while he spinning towards the ground. Is it possible that he hit me while shooting upwards at around a 70 degree angle almost 2k yards away?

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Mystery pings
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2001, 03:36:00 PM »
Congratulations you have now experienced the "DWEEB" tm deathstar dive.
Basically if ya cant fight, when falling to earth they just grab that trigger and hang on grimly spraying cannon shells all over the place.
Unfortunately its not rare for them to get kills using this method.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Mystery pings
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2001, 10:55:00 AM »
Actually it appears to me that one of you had a lot of lag in their connection.  (My guess is the bomber pilot.)  What happened was it took that long for the damage packets to get to you.  This is VERY rare actually.  If you look at the b26 film I posted in General the other day you will hear my b26 take some cannon hits after the attacking plane was already disposed of.

There is no way a bombers guns can hit at 2k yards.  The longest that I've ever managed to hit a plane is 1.7k.  These pings did no damage whatsoever.  You can hit planes at 1.5k pretty easily, but they are sound warfare more than anything else.  At 1.2k and in they do some real damage.

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
Mystery pings
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
sounds to me that cavalier's say is more likely to be correct than blooms  ;)