Author Topic: Hells Angels P40E  (Read 885 times)

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
Hells Angels P40E
« on: November 29, 2004, 12:13:49 AM »
just got done with it bout to send it in wanted to know what yall think

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Hells Angels P40E
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 01:07:51 AM »
It looks very nice. However, all P-40E-1 fighters received by the AVG were painted in standard Olive Drab, with Neutral Grey undersides. There exists only one color photo of the AVG P-40s, and they are all OD over grey. They did add the shark mouth to all of them, eventually if not initially. If I remember, I'll scan the photo for you. You can also find a not-so-great copy of the same photo in Osprey's American Volunteer Group Colours and Markings, as well as a color profile (#104) based upon the photograph.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the individual aircraft numbers for P-40Es began with 100 (1 thru 99 being assigned to the Tomahawks). So, none would bear the number 40. I believe they reached as high as 127 before the USAAF took over on July 4, 1942. These planes did not carry CAF serial numbers like the Tomahawks did (IE: P-8115 and so on). They were identified only by the AVG numbers. Also, there were no new Disney Tiger decals available, so they would not have that on the fuselage.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: November 29, 2004, 01:17:26 AM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
Hells Angels P40E
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 01:31:39 AM »
im just goin by pics that a squadie gave me i dont know anything bout the real HA and what color thiers planes where

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Hells Angels P40E
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 01:41:29 AM »
Looks good, but a few things:

• What Widwing said.
  • The under wing and belly... Did you make those panel lines?  It looks like Fester's 'trace' layer in his template.  If this is the case, then you might want to get rid of the 'edge' of the wingtips since they are still visible.
  • Camo colors do not match up at the wing root and other places.  I know it's very tedious, but it'll make any non-monotone schemes look much more complete.  
  • .50 cal and engine dirt "streaks" seem like a big blurry lines and not very dirt-like.
  •  Try messing with the saturation of hte colors.  The insignia and spinner scheme seem rather bright.
Other than that, keep up the good work :)  Almost there.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Hells Angels P40E
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 06:25:35 PM »
Originally posted by TrueKill
im just goin by pics that a squadie gave me i dont know anything bout the real HA and what color thiers planes where

I did some digging and discovered that some P-40Es DID have the Disney Tiger decal applied. So, you can keep that.

By the way, no AVG fighters had red spinners. All were the Tomahawks had tan spinners and all the P-40Es had OD green spinners.

Now, here's the profile and photo I mentioned earlier. Good luck and stick with it.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
Hells Angels P40E
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2004, 09:10:31 PM »
Originally posted by Widewing
I did some digging and discovered that some P-40Es DID have the Disney Tiger decal applied. So, you can keep that.

By the way, no AVG fighters had red spinners. All were the Tomahawks had tan spinners and all the P-40Es had OD green spinners.

Now, here's the profile and photo I mentioned earlier. Good luck and stick with it.

My regards,

Widewing

wow i wanna do that one now!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Hells Angels P40E
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 02:40:50 AM »
Originally posted by TrueKill

I'd suggest that the images you were shown are of a restored P40E or N in those Markings as those colors look a lot like some present day P40s that carry inaccurate AVG markings.

Needless to say the Flying Tigers paint scheme, however inaccurate is popular on the restored P40s :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
Hells Angels P40E
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 11:28:28 AM »
Yes, it was a picture of a restored E/N painted in the original Tomahawk scheme. All the stuff you guys mentioned (colors, numbers being 101+ etc) was pointed out in the squad forum by someone (cough cough) but was obviously ignored. :D

Offline AaronM2

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Hells Angels P40E
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 02:40:10 PM »
Yea i got a pic just took of that plane from a airshow :) will post

Offline TrueKill

• Silver Member
Hells Angels P40E
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 04:08:51 PM »
grits i never listin to u:lol :D

Offline Grits