Author Topic: GV spawnpoint-distance on new map  (Read 395 times)

Offline Janov

• Zinc Member
GV spawnpoint-distance on new map
« on: December 06, 2004, 06:26:39 AM »
Well, I like the new map. But one thing is just beyond me, and I would love to see a mapbuilder come in and explain it..

Why are the vehicle-spawnpoints so far away from the field? And why are there so few tactically relevant PT-Boatspawns?

1.) because the mapeditor doesnt allow closer position?
2.) because the mapbuilders like to drive around for 20+ mins enjoying the scenery, working their way up mountains at a snails pace, getting motionsicknes from the stupid bobbing on the "rough" terrain?
3.) because the mapbuilders dont care for GVs?
4.) all of the above?

I really enjoy the GV aspect of AH, but a lot of the maps (especially the older ones) are just not GV- friendly. So it amazes me even more that apparently very few lessons were learned in the last few years of AH regarding the fun and convenient placement of GV-spawnpoints. Of course, if they are too close its too easy to capture the base. But 20+ minutes of driving just to get within shooting range of the town (A155, for example) is just not userfriendly.
Other than that, a very nice map, thanks for all the time and effort that was put into it!

Litjan, 1.Hessische Freibierstaffel

Offline Schutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 09:47:41 AM »
Having gv spawns close to enemy airfields makes it easy to drive in and vulch starting planes.

As i said a decent strat, fighting over cities and supply lines, bridges and factories, will add a new aspect. Till then it will always come down to tactical vulching till the base is taken.

ciao schutt

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 11:05:54 AM »
Janov, you are right, lot of players are paying 15$ for GVs war and on this new map , they are out of bussines,
   Gvs spawn should be closer to base, or enemy spawn, what fun can be to drive a panzer 30-40 min. on those hills

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 11:34:06 AM »
Sorry guys, but it has someting to do with HTC. I sent them a map proposal that would make huge GV battles almost a requirement to take any field. I was told in a response email that AH is a combat flight sim and maps like that are not needed.

Get enough people in here to support the idea, and I would build the prototype map, hopefully with an experienced map builder to help me along.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: GV spawnpoint-distance on new map
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 01:01:55 PM »
Originally posted by Janov
Well, I like the new map. But one thing is just beyond me, and I would love to see a mapbuilder come in and explain it..

Ok...haven't really driven any GV's on the new map. But, from experience, a new map maker can easily set the spawns farther from the field than intended. They are supposed to be about 8k yards out. However, when setting a few thousand spawns...it is very damned easy to screw up that distance.

Gatso is a good guy. Post to him specifically and ask about it.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Re: Re: GV spawnpoint-distance on new map
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:36:48 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy [ They are supposed to be about 8k yards out.  [/B]

8k would be ok on flat terain, not climbing 3-4k hills