Author Topic: Aces High AAA Units Found!  (Read 1024 times)

funked

Aces High AAA Units Found!
« on: April 03, 2000, 03:08:00 AM »
I think I found what the current AAA units are: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/m163.htm

My dad commanded a platoon of these circa 1970.  He just about blew beer through his nose when he saw how nasty the AAA was in our game...

[This message has been edited by funked (edited 04-03-2000).]

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2000, 03:49:00 AM »
Replace those human gunners with a robot that see's ya comeing 30 miles away & knows to within a inch exactly where in the sky you are & you'll be close!

Ohh and endless supply of ammo also!

(Wouldn't ya think those clips would run dry?
Or barrels have to be changed?)

------------------
Maj Ghosth
XO 332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline Jochen

• Copper Member
      • http://www.jannousiainen.net
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2000, 04:51:00 AM »
What is that light tank behind the M-163?

------------------
jochen
Geschwaderkommodore
Jagdgeschwader 2 'Richthofen' (Warbirds)

jochen
JG 2 'Richthofen' (Aces High)

If you ever get across the sea to England,
Then maybe at the closing of the day
The bars will all be serving German lager
Which means we won the war - hip hip hooray!
jochen Gefechtsverband Kowalewski

Units: I. and II./KG 51, II. and III./KG 76, NSGr 1, NSGr 2, NSGr 20.
Planes: Do 17Z, Ju 87D, Ju 88A, He 111H, Ar 234A, Me 410A, Me 262A, Fw 190A, Fw 190F, Fw 190G.

Sieg oder bolsevismus!

funked

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2000, 05:50:00 AM »
The tank in the background is (I think) an M551 Sheridan dressed up to look like a T-72 for exercises.  Photo was probably taken at the NTC at Fort Irwin.

Wait - this just in.  Pixel enhancement technology has allowed further imaging of the Aces High AAA units.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2000, 10:19:00 AM »
A long time back, Pyro said that the best time to do the change over in Ack Models was when Vehicles were added.

I sure hope we see that in 1.02

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
Carpe Jugulum
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2000, 02:25:00 PM »
You mean I'm good enough to take out modern, laser guided ack in a spitfire? Huh.  Who knew?  

------------------
Fatty
FAT DRUNK BASTARDS

funked

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2000, 04:36:00 PM »
Yes you are Fatty!

Offline RangerBob

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2000, 05:00:00 PM »
Take it from an old paratrooper, that tank in the backround looks just like the old Sheridan, with some modifications to make it look like something else, that was assigned to our Airborne Units.

It might have been considered a piece of junk by regular tankers, but it sure was nice to have one dropped in with you when there were no friendly tanks around.

Yes Fatty, you are killing lazer guided acks! Imagine how good you'll be when they tone them down.

Ranger Bob
RANGRBOB

Offline Fatty

• Gold Member
      • http://www.fatdrunkbastards.com
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2000, 07:02:00 PM »
Seriously, I can't argue that the acks are historically inaccurate, you'd be hard pressed to find someone that knows less on the subject than I do.  I just don't want to see the overall stregth of the field defenses go down when they're eventually replaced, I think that would be a bad thing.

------------------
Fatty
FAT DRUNK BASTARDS

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2000, 02:42:00 AM »
Well just for starters, if you had a few more acks, with a little less lazer guiding & a definded FIELD OF FIRE it would help.

As it is we have 2 to 4 acks that shoot at everything. One is deadly enough, but with all of them banging at you it's near suicidal just to fly close.

Put 6 or 8 .50's around a field with perhaps a single 40mm in the center. If they want more cover let the defenders man them.

funked

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2000, 03:03:00 AM »
How about some realistic IFF too?  Lots of stories about AAA units downing friendlies in WW2, or AAA units holding fire because bandits and friendlies were mixed.

Offline DoctorYO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2000, 07:49:00 AM »
"If it flys it dies" ADA Creed

ADA also stands for Alcholics Defending America..

Funked is correct you can see the miles gear on that stinger gunners head...  Also note that long crate on the back of the m163(stinger/maybe redeye but looks like stinger crate)

Those clowns are dead I bet due to GOD gun for leaving their tanker rolls on the radar.

Actually that Vulcan is a bad mama jama in the gulf/vietnam they were used a good bit to clear out some soft targets and gun nests etc...

Vulcans are discontinued... Replaced by the M2 Bradley with 25mm cannon.  Maybe airborne still uses because the light drop weight but Bradley is a bout 10 times a versitile then the pig iron Vulcan...

As far a IFF good luck, Most the pilots who had IFF never had it turned on... so it always came down Visual ID.. Appraoach vector etc...  So if we have any real pilots out there remember to turn it on when near friendlies or you may get a stinger missle in the rear...

"backblast area all clear"
"Missle away"

DoctorYO

funked

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2000, 08:03:00 AM »
DoctorYo, My dad was one of those guys using them in Vietnam.  He said the radar was not worth crap and he just ignored it when firing at drones.  (Only air targets he fired at were drones because the bad guys never flew)

He said they were supposed to shoot at a banner towed by the drone but they shot at the drone because it was more fun.  

He had the same experience as you describe with IFF.  His motto was "shootem down and sortem out onna ground".