Author Topic: Torpeedo's...  (Read 476 times)

Offline FalseHope

• Zinc Member
Torpeedo's...
« on: December 18, 2004, 08:32:40 AM »
how do you lauch these things from aircraft successfuly?  

basicaly, how slow do you have to fly? how high/low?

it dosnt seem to matter how fast you go in a pt boat and still manage to launch them, but i have yet to successfuly doen it from a aircraft.

Offline thebest1

• Silver Member
Torpeedo's...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2004, 08:59:58 AM »
under 60 Feet, and slow dont go 300 mph more like 150-200

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
Torpeedo's...
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2004, 09:01:58 AM »
The best way to use torpedos is to click whatever the other loadout is in the hangar.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Torpeedo's...
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 09:26:11 AM »
Under 200 ft ... Under 200 mph
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Torpeedo's...
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 09:59:48 AM »
For REAL torpedo bombers, of course, it varied depending on which country you are talking about.  The Japanese had developed torpedo bombing to an art form, and their torpedos were mechanically more reliable than the American counterparts.  However, this isnt RL, this is Aces High.  So I'll give you the alt's and speeds for the RL bombers and then what I've found that works here.

Requirements -  MAX SPEED (US - 110 mph, Japan - 180 mph)  MAX ALT (US - 150 ft, Japan 350 ft)  EFFECTIVE RANGE (US - 1000 yds, Japan 1500 yds)

I doubt HT models the differences for the various torpedos that were available.  So I assume the minimum data is what I need to use to be safe.  In other words, I use the US data, and ignore the Japanese data.  

The lower you can get, the better.  The Requirements listed are MAX's, so less than that is acceptable, and actually preferable.  So here's how I line up for a drop.  (I use a Kate for this, as it handles best at low speed.  I'd stick with this for practicing until you can get down to your drop alt, line up, and get a torpedo off successfully, then you can switch to Ju-88s or Ki-67s or B-24s or whatever you like that will use formations and give you 3 torps instead of 1).

Get out over the water and heading in the general direction of the CV.  Get down to 100 ft and get your speed under 200.  Hit the X button to put yourself in auto pilot and wait until you are level and your speed is steady.  Slowly decrease your speed down to 150.  Use the elevator trim to bring yourself down to about 50 feet.  Pause for a moment and make sure everything is stable, you are level and your speed is steady.  Arm the torp. and check your target.  Remember that you only have 1k yds before the torp is useless so you have to get close enough.  I always hope someone tries to takeoff from the carrier, it gives me an icon to judge distance (a bit of a cheat, but I'll take it).  Hopefully, someone else is attacking the CV from the other side and drawing the fire of the ack, so you can get close enough to make your delivery.  In a kate, if you are lined up broadside, turn until the bow of the ship is about 2/3 of the way down the length of your wing, level, check your stats, and drop.  Unless someone turns the CV, you should get a hit.  

I'll say this, its damn hard to get in close enough to get a torpedo hit unless someone else is drawing fire for you.  Having a formation helps too, because you get 3 torps.  With a different plane, you'll have to adjust your lead on the target for your drop.  Good luck.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Torpeedo's...
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2004, 03:07:21 PM »
I use 200 altitude and 200 speed for my max limits when torpedoing in the Ju88s. To avoid confusioin I use those limits for all makes but I do believe there are differences. Its best to try a head on approach from the 1 o'clock to 11 to your targets course.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
Torpeedo's...
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2004, 03:37:13 PM »
At the risk of confusing the matter, the TBM can launch it's torp up to 250mph. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
Torpeedo's...
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2004, 06:52:21 PM »
I tried a few tests in the TA, if the settings are similar to the MA.
TBM can drop a torpedo and have it run at 900feet or up to 325mph so there are differences in the game.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54