Author Topic: How to reverse 190a8 fast?  (Read 801 times)

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
How to reverse 190a8 fast?
« on: April 23, 2001, 03:47:00 PM »
FW190 was very directionally unstable from what ive read which resulted in very fast instantaneous turnability. Also nose was quite heavy compared to rest of fuselage due to radial engine. So this sounds like plane that should be easy to reverse fast...do hammerhead in it.

Still ihavent yet learned how to reverse FW190a8 fast in AH. In most other AH planes i have no problems doing hammerhead. But a8 just doesnt want to flip over. I remember that in Warbirds this was piece of cake...only took 1.5sec to flip 180dgrs in a8.

I climb vertically up. At 100mph I turn engine to idle. When my speed is almost 0
i kick full left rudder, full throttle and hit wep. I end up dropping my tail ahead slowly banking and rolling to nose down losing way too much alt and having no control at all. If i start hammerhead earlier it reverses also way too slowly but without spinning and again when nose down at 150mph i dont feel much control at all. Shouldnt 190 be VERY responsive to controls at low speeds? Everything ive read suggests that.

Well most likely problem is in my flying skills. So if anyone could tell me how to flip my a8 around fast it would be really nice of you.

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2001, 09:22:00 AM »
Does this mean no one in AH knows how to do clean hammerhead in 190a8?!?!

I can even do it fine and fast in p51d.
190a8 should do it even quicker, right?..come on tell me how? Or have i read some BS Luftwobble propaganda?

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2001, 09:51:00 AM »
You don't do anything fast in a 190 except roll, unless you want to really get into a spin. I've never done a hammerhead in a 190, and I've never seen one done. You can't reverse a 190 fast by using any tricks since it's a tad sluggish in pitch. Plus it bleeds E like a stuck pig when you yarf on the stick. If you want to reverse it, use the vertical. Immelman, Split-S, High or Low Yo-Yo; whatever gets your gourd. Just don't try fancy tricks or fast turns; you'll pull a falling cork-screw. It'll dump that left wing like you'd dump a 500 pound Aunt at the local Burger King. And it'll spin faster than your room does when you've got a hangover.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"During the Battle of Britain the question 'fighter or fighter-bomber?'
had been decided once and for all: The fighter can only be used as a bomb carrier
with lasting effect when sufficient air superiority has been won." Adolph Galland

Offline Betown

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.ecomm-net.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2001, 12:08:00 PM »
That sure told you didn't it  
LOL

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2001, 12:19:00 PM »
I must be doing something wrong, because the Only kite I manage to do a Hammerhead with is the FW190A8 (with anything else... I spin)

chop throttle at the top of the Zoom, lean a little on the side, give the rudder a Kick, and there ya go!

------------------
Saw
[MASS]

"Special cocktails for ladies with nuts."
seen is a restaurant

[This message has been edited by Saintaw (edited 04-26-2001).]
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2001, 05:30:00 PM »

You don't do anything fast in a 190 except roll, unless you want to really get into a spin.

I have never got AH 190a8 in spin unintentionally. IMO you can do very fast moves (turns) in 190 at high speeds.

You can't reverse a 190 fast by using any tricks since it's a tad sluggish in pitch.

Pitch is irrelevant in hammerhead.

Just don't try fancy tricks or fast turns

Fast turns work very well in 190a8 IMHO. Sustained turns don't. Fancy tricks using high speed turns and roll combos work fine too.

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2001, 05:34:00 PM »
Thx saintaw...so you don't open up throttle before completely reversed?

Ill try that, thanks.

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2001, 05:33:00 AM »
I do, but gently, if you shove the throttle up, you won't spin, but it will "try" to spin left, and you'll have less "directional" control when you are comming down.

Also, I found the amount of fuel I have onboard will have quite a big impact (I tnd to manualy drink off the aft tank before the Fwd one).

cheers, don't get slow  

Saw
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline Seahawk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2001, 06:02:00 AM »
illo, try a simple Flip turn......maybe it'll work o.k....

Seahawk

Offline illo

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2001, 03:22:00 PM »
Shawk it doesnt just flip around. It does it very slowly or begins tailslide. So its much better to do decent hammerhead. Not like WB here.

Offline Don

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2001, 07:06:00 PM »
I dunno about reversing a 190A8 fast, from what I know about it, it wasn't exactly a nimble a/c; powerful as hell and deadly too but, a fast turner?
Use of a hammerhead in the face of nme is not a good idea IMO. The FW 190A8 is best fought at speed, with its best rev move being the split s or roll. There are certain E moves that work well in a 190 but, I wouldn't rate the hammerhead as one of the best. As I think has been pointed out in here, an nme with E is gonna blow yer arse to kingdom come if you got yer nose pointed up and yer speed is down around 100kts