Author Topic: Airfield Reform  (Read 758 times)

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Airfield Reform
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2004, 01:19:48 PM »
Originally posted by Seagoon
Add depth to the variety of manned guns on the field: It should be possible to do away with the "auto guns" entirely if this was done (I know many would prefer that). A big airfield should have mannable 88s, twin 40 mm oerlikons, Quad and/or single 20mms, and .50 cal and twin .30 MG positions.
[/B]
Originally posted by hitech
Disagree that removing auto guns would be a good thing. By doing so it would increase vulching. It would remove the ablity to use it as cover when you are trying to escape.
I guess the compromise would be if all field guns were mannable, but were in auto ack mode if unoccupied.

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
Airfield Reform
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2004, 02:17:11 PM »
First of all, make the guns visible (I cant see them past 300-400 yards).

Frankly, I do not understand the obsesion of some players with mannable guns. Cant you just pick up a flak/M16 or a plane? Do we really need manned guns that can erase all the enemy planes within 3-4 miles range? I'm pretty sure that timed or not timed, most manned 88 kills would be just direct hits.

People in planes or GVs spend 5 or 10 minutes to reach a base and as they aproach, a player, spending just 2 seconds, jumps behind his safe big gun and vaporize the enemy 3 miles away.

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
Airfield Reform
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2004, 02:59:23 PM »
Frankly, I do not understand the obsesion of some players with mannable guns. Cant you just pick up a flak/M16 or a plane? Do we really need manned guns that can erase all the enemy planes within 3-4 miles range? I'm pretty sure that timed or not timed, most manned 88 kills would be just direct hits.

People in planes or GVs spend 5 or 10 minutes to reach a base and as they aproach, a player, spending just 2 seconds, jumps behind his safe big gun and vaporize the enemy 3 miles away.
Yeah lets get rid of all base defenses lolh:rolleyes:

If you drive a GV that long and dont have anyone taking out the acks for you, you deserve to die!

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Airfield Reform
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2004, 11:36:23 PM »
Additionally Mando, you'll find that when the VH goes kaboom, Flaks and M16s are unavailable.

One of the suggestions I made a while back was to have permanent AT Gun installations around the big airfields as well as Ack, but for this post I just wanted to concentrate on what I thought we might be able to get in a pending release.

So, I guess the outstanding questions are, #1 can't we get proximity fused acks and what about adding something to the standard 37mm?

Would it be too hard to add:

Twin .30s? Quad 20mms (now there would be a new player prefered item!) twin oerlikons?

All of these were standard for air base defense. All of them would cut down on the "enemy owned" green airfield phenomenon.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline koda76

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~dwdishman/
Airfield Reform
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2004, 03:04:36 PM »
I think all guns should be mannable...period...I also don't agree with the take that the reason people want to be able to make repairs to a plane is for continuing a sortie...My own take on this is that it would allow a person who's plane is all shot up and has to put it down to be able to call for a goon with vh/plane supplies and make repairs to get the plane back home to land those 5 kills.
It would add a level of realism and excitement to the game. Think about being a sitting duck waiting for a squadie to bring you supplies so you can land those kills. My2cents

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Airfield Reform
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2004, 04:03:31 PM »
Originally posted by koda76
I also don't agree with the take that the reason people want to be able to make repairs to a plane is for continuing a sortie...My own take on this is that it would allow a person who's plane is all shot up and has to put it down to be able to call for a goon with vh/plane supplies and make repairs to get the plane back home to land those 5 kills.
It would add a level of realism and excitement to the game. Think about being a sitting duck waiting for a squadie to bring you supplies so you can land those kills. My2cents

Huh???  You want to land your plane somewhere, repair it, then fly to another base and land to get your kill credits?  I assume you are saying you want to be able to land just anywhere, without a base even being close, and have someone bring a goon to fix your plane.  Which is not only unrealistic, it would require craploads of programming to allow for a plane to be "repaired".  Many times mechanics had trouble even keeping planes in the air from a fully staffed airfield with a machine shop.  You want someone to repair a fighter in the woods or someone's field and be able to fly it home.  HT's point was very valid, yours makes no real sense.  Sounds like a one sided argument to me.

The only thing you are gaining from this is you get to land and "show off" for the arena with your "blah blah landed 5 kills in a LaLa7 of ...................".  That and you get more points for landing.  Wow.  

I think HT's stance was pretty clear.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2004, 04:12:05 PM by StarOfAfrica2 »

Offline Seagoon

• Gold Member
      • http://www.providencepca.com
Airfield Reform
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2004, 04:42:40 PM »
Just a quick thought: the real use for repairs would be to get your M16 and Osty turrets fixed on a vulched field with a dead VH.

- SEAGOON
SEAGOON aka Pastor Andy Webb
"We have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion... Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Airfield Reform
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2004, 05:48:55 PM »
Then whats the point of destroying the VH if the vehicles that are up can constantly be repaired?  Even bringing supplies from another base, assuming you could get them there fast enough, why wouldnt you just resupply the base and bring the assests back up faster rather than fixing your Osti/M16 and increasing your kill streak.  You resupply the base, you can fix the VH and give yourself a brand NEW GV.

Offline koda76

• Copper Member
      • http://home.earthlink.net/~dwdishman/
Airfield Reform
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2004, 06:30:07 PM »
I don't think it's unrealistic at all...I can run supplies anywhere and drop them for a GV...whats the difference? and yes I want to land those kills if possible....odds aren't in my favor but I think it ought to be an option.
while not speaking for the coaders I think it is a simple thing to implement. The armed forces will field repair damaged equipment if it can be repaired within 30 min. or so, otherwise they will come back at another time if possible.(sometimes years later)
I never did get hitechs full point other than he said it was to increase a sortie....I don't see any difference between increasing your sorties in a plane verses a gv. Hey it's just a thought, and if people didn't have thoughts we wouldn't have things like eny.

Offline Stone

• Nickel Member
Re: Airfield Reform
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2004, 03:43:52 AM »

Make the Airfield 88's Mannable: I don't think it would be a stretch to say that pretty much everyone hates the automatic puffy ack. Can we bite the bullet and make those guns manned positions? That would get a big thumbs up from everyone except perhaps the super-low-level B24 drivers. But to paraphrase Gollum, "We hates them forever."

Why not make field ack work as the bomber gunners do?
No AI at all please.
So if only one sits in mannable ack, he controlls all the ack, so all ack shoots on the plane he try to shoot down.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
Airfield Reform
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2004, 07:39:27 AM »
Would love to know how you guys manage to get hit by putty ack so often.

Maybe it homes in on the "whine" or something cause it very very very rarely ever hits me let alone shoots me down.

Last time I was shot down by puffy ack it was months ago and warm outside.
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
Airfield Reform
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2004, 11:46:10 AM »
Guys, I've said this all along.

Make the 88's Manable, but not fired by the AI.  So if you're flying over the base and there's no one in it, you won't get shot by the computer.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"