Author Topic: Any master in Tiffie can help ?  (Read 541 times)

Offline Eaglecz

• Nickel Member
Any master in Tiffie can help ?
« on: July 21, 2001, 01:04:00 PM »
Any tips how to fight tiffies ?

Offline Greg 'wmutt' Cook

• Zinc Member
      • http://home.bak.rr.com/gcook/
Any master in Tiffie can help ?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2001, 06:50:00 AM »
Originally posted by EagleC:
Any tips how to fight tiffies ?

I'm no master by any means, but I do fly the Typhoon a lot.  The only piece of good advise I can give you is stay above well above them.

A lot of how you fight them depends on what their goal is.  Typhoons excell down low, and are most often used to attack ground targets.  Thy do suffer performance loss at higher altitudes. (I get nosebleeds over 15K  :) )

Down on the deck, the Typhoon is one of, if not the fastest prop planes in the simm, so it can leave when it wants to unless you have some alt to catch up to it's 385 ias egress speed.  It has great acceleration, and has a lot of elevator authority, so it can pull some high G manouvers when it has to. (It can turn better at higher speeds than other aircraft.)  It has pretty good turn preformance down low, but this goes away up high.

Head on is not a good way to attack a typhoon, there are 4 20 mm reasons to attack from the rear.  Although this is also one of it's weaknesses as well.  It packs a grand punch, but it carries very little ammo, so it can't afford to enter a prolonged fight.  This is even more true if you catch one after a couple of straffing runs.

I use the Typhoon to attack ground targets, and only attack air to air if I need to bail out a buddy, or I have no choice.  The only aircraft I realy fear are the LA series, and only then if they have some altitude, and are in a position to start a dive to chase me.  I can outrun, extend, and pick my fight otherwise.

I have noticed that the tail comes off pretty easy when hit from the front, and this seems odd.  I know they historicly snapped spars in the tail during high speed dives, but getting shot in the nose and having the tail fall off is odd.

So, my best advice is to stay higher than 'Phoon, be sure you don't underestimate it's E-state (just cause it's lower doesn't mean it has less E than you, these things haul butt down there, and can turn rather well at high speed, so watch for the chandel, and hammerhead.)  If you do catch one with less E than you, it is best to boom and zoom it, being careful that the Typhoon's acceleration doesn't close the E gap too much.  Of corse if you catch one with less E than you, he is doing something very wrong already.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Flying Mongrels Home
"Destined to replace the mudshark in popular mythology"