Author Topic: Aircraft comparisons  (Read 576 times)

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
Aircraft comparisons
« on: April 29, 2001, 05:57:00 PM »
Second day here and I don't really have time to peruse all messages and websites and am wondering if anyone can lead me to any good resources for a comparison of flight of aircraft in Aces High.  I'd love to learn tips to use in a certain aircraft against other types to take advantage of strengths vs opponents weaknesses.  I mean, I don't have any clue if a P-51B is faster than anything in the AH skies or if it maneuvers well or dives well...that type of thing.  Thank you in advance.

-Steven

Offline DB603

• Nickel Member
Aircraft comparisons
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2001, 06:27:00 PM »
S!

I strongly suggest You go to the Links(at HTC main page) and find Lepthurn's Aerodrome from there.It's a treasure trove for a newbie and gives a lot of info on views etc.Also practise offline,get to training area and ask for trainers there.Only way to success is to train every plane U like and then get it to "fit" Ya as a glove.Also here at HTC should be charts and things of every plane.There You can compare the performances of different planes.And I am sure friendly ppl here also are willing to help You out.I hope You enjoy staying here and get good kills!

------------------
DB603
3.Lentue
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Aircraft comparisons
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2001, 08:31:00 PM »
DB,

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'm already very impressed with the simulation but know I have an uphill battle to becoming proficient.  I'll never be able to devote tons of time to the game since I have a family and a couple other interests, but so far it's been loads of fun.  

I did see some top speed and climb rate charts from HTC main page but was looking for more in the way of tips.  Such as "do not turn with such-such aircraft" and the like.  Again, thanks.  Time to search for Lepthurn's Aerodrome.  Oh yeah, I am sticking with one plane for now so be kind to that little ol' P-51B.  Anyone else flying it?  I haven't seen any B's, just D's.  

-Steven

Offline janjan

• Zinc Member
Aircraft comparisons
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2001, 02:20:00 AM »
That's because HTC put a high alt engine on p-51 B meaning it's slower than D low.

Also those 4 x .50cal are not enough for many.

And the backward view sucks.

Other than those, nice plane  .

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Aircraft comparisons
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2001, 10:13:00 AM »
Okay, I've learned something just by that.  P-51B is lightly gunned.  I'll watch out for the head-to-heads then.  I'm assuming it's a fast aircraft, but not sure how it compares to FW's, F4Us and a few others.  I'm finding it hard to believe there are no websites discussing aircraft comparisons in any detail.

I think it's time I go to the AH website and start printing those speed/climb graphs.  Tells me little about manuevering, but it's a start.

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Aircraft comparisons
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2001, 10:19:00 AM »
Steven this is actually a project of mine. I've started it with a single page on the Yak series, but it'll get bigger. Twice I've posted requesting good sticks write out their personal tips and tricks with a given plane. Alas, only good ol' Lephturn has responded. If I end up doing them on my own I'll do it, but some help would be very nice. Looks like SPAMing is my next step.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond

Offline SpitLead

• Copper Member
Aircraft comparisons
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2001, 05:23:00 PM »
Steven,

As a general start, AH has posted on their web site speed and rate of climb figures for most of the airplanes.  Look under the HELP/GAME OVERVIEW link and look under the Planes,Vehicles, Boats link.

This should give you an easy starting point comparison of which planes are fast and which have the advantage in climb at various altitudes.  Other factors such as best turn rate, ability to take damage, energy retention, acceleration, roll rate, high speed handling, weapons etc., are not as easy to find but they're out there.

A really good suggestion is to fly as many different airplanes as you can (maybe in the training arena if need be) to get a feel for each airplanes strengths and weaknesses.  I'd say stick only to 2-3 different ones in a single tour.  Also, fly the bombers a bit too to learn their weak points regarding guns and angle of fire.

[This message has been edited by SpitLead (edited 04-30-2001).]

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Aircraft comparisons
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2001, 10:29:00 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm really more of a jet type of person and though I can spot and name most WW2 aircraft, I don't know how most compare to each other and really have no clue how well real-world comparisons transfer over into Aces High.

Flakbait,  I actually saw your web site when I did a search prior to originating this thread.  My favs would have to be the P51B and Hellcat though I can see these aren't necessarily the best choices for success in Aces High.  

Spitlead,  for now I'm sticking to one or three planes.  <G>  Mostly the P51B but I have had some success with the SpitIX and also prefer the Hellcat when that seems to be a good choice.  This may sound weird, but I don't know the instrument panels all that well and have to get used to a few before moving on to new planes.  I have the P51B down now but for the first few missions in the SpitIX, I could not find the appropriate instrument at the appropriate time fast and was dogfighting by the seat of my pants having no clue to airspeed and the like.  And yes, I will go check out the speed/climb charts and print them out.  Too bad no one has corner speeds and all that.  Would help me out a bit to know if I turn with a BF109 or FW190 in my P51B, when and where...  or this aircraft vs that...  etc... etc... etc...

thanks!
-Steven

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
Aircraft comparisons
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
Steven take a look at this page:
 www.hitechcreations.com/cptinst2.html

I did that page to replace the old BETA shot that was still hanging there back in 1.04. It's a stock P-51D cockpit, but somewhere around here I've got cockpit shots of nearly every plane. Complete with reference numbers, just like the page above. One of these years I'll have enough web space to post the entire thing. As for the ground school pages, I'm still working on those. At most I'd be able to tack 4 or 5 up before I really got my ISP peaved at me. Chewing up too much server space and all.

-----------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"With all due respect Chaplian, I don't think God wants to hear from me right now.
I'm gonna go out there and remove one of His creations from this universe.
And when I get back I'm gonna drink a bottle of Scotch like it was Chiggy von
Richthofen's blood and celebrate his death."
Col. McQueen, Space: Above and Beyond