Author Topic: XP pro SP2 and modem problem  (Read 152 times)

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
XP pro SP2 and modem problem
« on: December 17, 2004, 07:40:59 AM »
Hi all -

I just recently completed a system upgrade to a dual boot of win98SE and XP pro SP2.  Win98 and XP are on physically separate drives.

If my computer hangs, while I am online either on the internet or AH, and I am forced to reboot (either thru a reset or shutdown) I loose my modem.  Once I'm back in windows XP after the reboot, as soon as I try to connect back online, I get an immediate BSOD.

In the device manager, my modem is now listed as an unknown PCI device and there are no drivers associated with it.  WinXP will not allow me to reinstall the drivers (doen'st find them anywhere) and I cannot connect to the internet.

Whats really funny, is that if I boot into WIN98, the modem is screwed up in that OS as well.

As it turns out, if I remove the modem from the PCI slot its in, and put it in a different slot, windows XP and SE re-recognize that the PCI device is a modem, reloads the drivers and everthing is ok again.

What is happening on my motherboard (or elsewhere) that would cause the modem not to be recognized in the PCI slot during a forced reboot?  Any ideas?

Thanks!!