Author Topic: Help With Field Gun *DWEEB ALERT!*  (Read 727 times)

Offline shoppe123

• Zinc Member
Help With Field Gun *DWEEB ALERT!*
« on: August 21, 2001, 12:25:00 PM »
Okies, in the hangar I select field gun. Puts me out on the field with 3 dots to pick. Not counting the BIG guns. The small gun that gives a really good view all around are the one I'm interested in. Thing is, after getting my newbie butt whacked about 5 times in a row I need a break  :)

What's the range on these. And why can't I hit anything  :) I try all different sorts of leading the target with no joy. The only time I hit anything in under 1K. Any tips really really appreciated. After probably 5 hours on this thing I should be able to hit something over 1K just out of pure luck, so there's gotta be something I'm missimng here. If you respond with 88mm etc, I won't have a clue *blink* *blink* what your talking about  :) Try and remember you first day  :)

Is there one or two web sites anyone can recomend for newbies? Some of the basics like bombing really aren't explaned well here. Really appreciate the help, LeadPump *Former C Lander from long long ago*

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2001, 12:42:00 PM »
Ripsnort and Lephturn have some good websites.  

Rip's MAG-33 AH Info pages

Lephturn's Aerodrome

As for the field guns...  I think they're 37mm guns, but you said don't worry about that.  I usually only hit planes under 1.5K and it's just luck that I got the lead right.  I think I've hit paratroopers and chutes at a little farther range than that, but can't remember for sure.  Just zoom in on the sight, and keep practicing.  Blind leading the blind on that one, I'm afraid.  Enjoy the above websites!
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2001, 01:30:00 PM »
I Believe the range to be no more than about 3-3.5k for the field guns.
Its a b@tch to hit anything that isn't flying nice and straight and slow. +(

SKurj

Offline shoppe123

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2001, 03:11:00 PM »
Thx guys. I feel better now  :) Forgot about zooming in!

I'll check those sites too! LP

Offline Syzygyone

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2001, 03:28:00 PM »
I gave up trying to learn the field guns.  I found that if I did that, I tended to do worse as a B17 gunner, but then, I was never really a great B17 gunner anyway.  But, field gunning (and PT Boat gunning for that matter) don't work at all in the air due to the motion of the B17 and its effect of lead/lag to target.
Well, keep tryin!  It's still loads of fun

:)

Offline shoppe123

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2001, 03:33:00 PM »
Thx guys. I feel better now  :) Forgot about zooming in!

I'll check those sites too! LP

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2001, 07:02:00 PM »
I did some practice off line and it helped me.  Off line there are several planes that circle the field.  Get in the field gun and fire away :)  I found it is best to watch the tracers.  Get the tracers in line with the target, then slowly increase your lead until you see hits.  Note the distance and lead for future reference on line.  Good luck   :)

Gunner <CAF>
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline flakbait

• Silver Member
      • http://www.worldaccessnet.com/~delta6
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2001, 04:20:00 AM »
Field AA guns are indeed 37mm, and are good out to 3.2k (3,200 yards). It's a trick to hit anything, but the principal behind them is similar to that of a Huey door gunner. The more lead you shoot at them, the more they think they might take a hit. In short: make the enemy duck! One nice perk about it is there's always some moron, peeved vet, or Tin Horn who'll fly right at you. If you're a half-way decent shot, you'll nail 'em. Find a hot field that's under attack, man a gun, and give 'em hell. You're bound to get at least two or three kills provided some alt-monkey in a B-17 doesn't tag you with a 500 pound enema.

------------------------
Flakbait [Delta6]
Delta Six's Flight School
Put the P-61B in Aces High
"I wanted to go back for another 50 missions, but they ruled it out
because I had a case of malaria that kept recurring. So I had to stay
in the States and teach combat flying. I was shot down by a mosquito!"
Frank Hurlbut, P-38 pilot