Author Topic: LVTs  (Read 634 times)

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
LVTs
« on: August 26, 2001, 08:53:00 AM »
Does anyone have guidelines for landing LVTs on the beach? Sometimes I just floor it and drive right onto the beach with no problem. In other cases I can't seem to land without rolling it or getting stuck. My impression is that this is consistent from beach to beach (or maybe terrain to terrain). That is, some beaches are easy to land some are hard.

So, is there an accepted technique for this?

myelo
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
LVTs
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2001, 10:44:00 AM »
I was told in the arena that it all depends on where in the current TILE u land...
If you are landing in the center then you are fine... at the ends problems could arise.

Hope someone with more experience can give us the details tho.

Another prob I have with them is... Has anyone managed to hit an LVT in the water with any weapon from land?  (Pz 75mm, MG's, anything?)

SKurj

Offline Urchin

• Platinum Member
LVTs
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2001, 11:21:00 AM »
Yes Skurj, I've shelled them from the Shore Battery before, and hit them with the tank cannon in the Panzer.

Offline GunnerCAF

• Silver Member
      • Gunner's Grange
LVTs
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2001, 11:35:00 AM »
I think it may be the terrain, but I am not sure.  Most beaches you can just head from the spaun point and run right for the field.  One time I hit something and was stuck on the beach.  The next attempt headed down the shore further before I tried to land and had no problems.

I live on the Mississippi and boat alot in an area with many slews and backwaters.  Learning the river is all about hitting something, and avoiding it next time.  I guess it was just natural for me to do this   :)

Gunner <CAF>
Gunner
Cactus Air Force

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
LVTs
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2001, 01:19:00 PM »
it's kinda hard to explaine properly but i'll give it ago.   The terrain seems to be built in squares , I'll call them tiles.  If you flying above a beach you will notice that the Beach sorta has a shallow point in the middle and deep water on the ends.  This pattern is reppeated up and down the beach.  Now what myself and a few other have noticed is if you in the shallow part ( the middle of the Tile)   you can zoom right up on the beach with no troubles at all.  If your at the deep water points. ( the ends of the tile)  you can't get out of the water.  let me see if I can dig up a screen shot of this and show you.  

Vati
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline vatiAH

• Copper Member
LVTs
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »
lets see If I can figure this out

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: vatiAH ]
Ductus Exemplo:  Lead by Example

Offline myelo

• Silver Member
LVTs
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2001, 06:11:00 PM »
Thank you for all the replies. And thanks Vati for taking the time to post the picture. They were very helpful.

myelo
myelo
Bastard coated bastard, with a creamy bastard filling