Author Topic: help a newbie  (Read 957 times)

Father.May.I

help a newbie
« on: January 17, 2000, 02:31:00 AM »
I am trying to take off but when I do (any plane BTW), the little ball that's supposed to stay between the two lines always moves to the left and I spin in circles, nothing will fix it. Is it possible to sign on as a gunner for someone and not have to pilot?

I managed to take off once in the b-17 but just flew straight ahead, only gaining any altitude cuz the runway was near a cliff. I couldn't go up but I could go down. Is there a document explaining how to take off?

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
help a newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2000, 02:51:00 AM »
There's a little help section on the HTC website that takes you through take off step by step.  Off hand I'd guess that you're applying full throttle right at the start and the torque is pulling you in circles.  Try giving it about 50% throttle and use the rudder to stay on the runway after a while your tail should come up.  Then slowly apply throttle till it's at 100% and take off around 150mph or so.  Poke around the website it'll have better instructions probably. Good luck  
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
help a newbie
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2000, 09:16:00 AM »
May I,

AH is modeled with all the effects of a real aircraft in flight and in ground handling.  These include such things as torque, gyroscopic procession and P factor, all of which contribute to the aircraft trying to yaw violently on the take off roll.  As stated in the post above throttle must be applied smoothly and the yaw countered with the application of rudder on the take off roll.  

As to getting the B-17 up, I have had trouble with it and other planes with large fuel loads and large ordinance loads.  Seems to me that the low speed portion of the flight envelope is something that still needs some refinement in the Flight Model, remember this is still a beta test.  When taking off with the B-17 use a smaller fuel load, 50% fuel will take you a verrrrry long way in the Buff.

Sharky

Offline Firefox

• Zinc Member
help a newbie
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2000, 01:29:00 PM »
Father,
Sorry to ask, but it gives me some starting Points to help you out.  These may seem trivial, but.

1.  Do you have a Joystick and rudder pedals.  Some people have been successful in starting the game with a Game Pad Hooked up.  But cannot fly?

2.  If you do, did you read the FAQ first to get some tips?

3.  Did you calibrate your equipment in the game?

4.  Have you flown any other flight simulations, if so which ones, and for how long (this determins your level of expertice).

We can go from there,  

Thanks and let me know via EMAIL if you wish.

------------------
Rick "Firefox" Scott
VMF-214 / MAG 11
WB ID: firefx
AH ID: FirefxAT
Have Gun Will Travel

Father.May.I

help a newbie
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2000, 03:15:00 PM »
Thanks for all your help! I am now able to take off 90% of the time though I'm usually near stall out when I do but I gain speed and height and I go from there.

I do have a joystick and I calibrated it before I played AH. I have not looked at the FAQ yet. I have never flown a flight simulation until this game. I knew it would be complex but I didnt know how complex  

This is usually how I take off. In a bomber/heavy plane, I'll start the engines, get 2 clicks flaps, lower the engine rpm to 10 and hit the power to full and slowly bring the rpm back up. That seems to work best for me.

For fighters though, I usually have to set the rudder trim all the way to the right and hit shift-x before gradually applying power. (and in the navy bdu or whatever, I ALWAYS spin out but that's alright cuz i can fly the other planes)

one thing that's got me is the terminology ppl use, maybe someone has a list of what everything means?

Thansk for your help

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
help a newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2000, 05:10:00 PM »
May.I

For fighters though, I usually have to set the rudder trim all the way to the right and hit shift-x before gradually applying power. (and in the navy bdu or whatever, I ALWAYS spin out but that's alright cuz i can fly the other planes)

For fighters, pull the stick all the way back and keep it there until your speed approaches 100 mph.  Then ease the stick forward to the nuetral piont.  The tail will lift and the nose will go down.  When you hear the groaning of the landing gear under stress, pull back easy on the stick.  Once airborne quickly raise your gear.

For most fighters adding some extra left before takeoff aileron trim helps with countering torque.

Flaps are effective if you take off heavy, but in most cases you don't really need to apply flaps.  They just slow you down.

If you don't have some, invest in some good rudder peddles.  The use of rudder peddles really improves the game.  

Good Luck, I hope to shoot you down!  

Mino

Offline Swager

• Silver Member
help a newbie
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2000, 10:25:00 PM »
Father.May.I,

Please don't take Minotaur's help as an act of kindness.  He wants you in the air for one reason.  Dak-a-Dak-a-Dak-a-Dak!!!

Minotaur,  What in the heck is the matter with you??  I know what your thinking!!  Sheep to slaug......   Ops you already had the sheep!  Pigs to slaughter!

Father.May.I  Look up one of us Knights.  We will fly with ya.  We'll do our best to keep that nasty Minotaur away!!  HA!  Spoiled again! Eh Minotaur!!

No. Seriously Father. Minotaur is one of the best. He'd go out of his way to help ya!

Minotaur smile at this post.    I Love Ya, Man!!!  Well not really, ya know, just a saying.    

------------------
Damn Ghostrider!  This bogey is all over me!!
Rock:  Ya see that Ensign, lighting the cigarette?
Powell: Yes Rock.
Rock: Well that's where I got it, he's my son.
Powell: Really Rock, well I'd like to meet him.
Rock:  No ya wouldn't.

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
help a newbie
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2000, 09:01:00 AM »
Swager;

Now what the heck would a "Forward Puke" know about anything!  

Ah, but thanks for the compliment just the same. Back at ya!  <Salute>

My game philosophy kind of goes back.  If someone helps me, then I try to help ten other people.  It gets tedious at times and I often feel like a "Net Mom", but in time it comes back to me and then MY time spent playing becomes more fun.

BTW, I had a terrible time with take offs at first.  In those first days it was "Aim for the cliff and hope to h%ll I didn't crash before I got there".  

Mino

Father.May.I

help a newbie
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2000, 09:51:00 AM »
hehe. Now that I'm in the air, I just have to figure out how to fly and shoot at the same time  

I like taking a B17, putting it on auto pilot and let the bad guys come to me  

I don't believe I've succesfully landed once