Author Topic: Would there be an interest in a training arena  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
Would there be an interest in a training arena
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2000, 07:39:00 AM »
Yes, training arena is a good idea, and I think that some of us vets should dedicate some time in the training arena in whatever your 'specialty' is i.e. bombing, ACM, etc.  At least until the game goes "pay" and trainers are designated by HT (if he choses to do so)

For instance, a newbie is asking alot of questions in main arena.  Volunteer to take him over to the training arena to help him out with any questions, etc. as to not disrupt the text buffer in main arena (or, go private and have him learn through the school of hard knox! :> )  Of course, HT has to approve the training arena.  I think that Firefx should start a potential list of trainers for beta should HT ever get a beta training arena in before "pay" day.  I will volunteer my time, but not once  we go pay, been there, done that, takes too much of my time.

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
-Rip1- VF-101 Grim Reapers (RET)
"There is no reason anyone would
want a computer in their home."
   Ken Olson, president, chairman and
founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

combat23

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2000, 08:02:00 AM »
Count me in. Where do I sign.  

TT

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2000, 01:23:00 PM »
 A word of caution here. IMHO HTC needs to be very careful about selecting trainers. It creates a class of players that see themselves above the average. As heads swell these people can become downright abusive. I have seen this happen at WB. I left WB because of the comments of a trainer on AGW. Others have abused players wives and families verbally on the radio buffer.

I never had lessons. And ive been in the top 10 most of the time(fighters only, I dont buff) since I came to AH. So I dont know that trainers are all that nessesary. Its more of an ego trip, for some, than anything else.

Offline Robert

• Copper Member
      • http://home.midsouth.rr.com/rwysairwar/
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2000, 01:24:00 PM »
i would be very interested in this !

Offline Ripsnort

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2000, 01:46:00 PM »
TT : "It creates a class of players that see themselves above the average."

I think this is your perception, most people like trainers, especially those that need them.

TT:"As heads swell these people can become downright abusive."

I've only seen this in one case since V.82 CK days.  Again, you judge the rest by one or two individuals.  It's a problem with your perception.

TT:"I never had lessons. And ive been in the top 10 most of the time(fighters only, I dont buff) since I came to AH. So I dont know that trainers are all that nessesary. Its more of an ego trip, for some, than anything else."

Well, sure am glad YOU, the center of the universe, caught on quickly, you do know that there are others that are just flying a flight sim for the first time in their virtual lives too, right?  Being one of the top 10 does not mean everyone has  the same ability as yourself to grapple the ACM so quickly.  I know some WB pilots that were in the top 10 (just about every vet I knew held a top ten spot for along time until scores meant nothing but a big visa bill) that would make lousy trainers.

Most trainers do it for the joy of teaching others the art of war, to show them the things that they themselves have learned to do.  

TT, do us a favor, don't ever teach anything, it may be an ego thing FOR YOU!

------------------
Brian "Ripsnort" Nelson
-Rip1- VF-101 Grim Reapers (RET)
"There is no reason anyone would
want a computer in their home."
   Ken Olson, president, chairman and
founder of Digital Equipment Corp.,1977

Offline snafu

• Silver Member
      • http://www.btinternet.com/~snaffers
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2000, 02:02:00 PM »
Yup, Agree with everything said count me in please!!!!

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2000, 04:33:00 PM »
TT,

I dont think the people who posted are requesting that lofty "Trainer status", that you seem to be opposed to.  I can understand your points.

Rather, most of the posts are either people requesting an alternate "training" arena free from interruption where these training sessions can be held or are requesting assistance from vets who have volunteered.  Its just a goodwill gesture, not a request for change in status.

-Ding

[This message has been edited by Dingy (edited 01-18-2000).]

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2000, 05:43:00 PM »

Its more of an ego trip, for some, than anything else.

Hmmm no. No words left. Nothing to say. Sorry.

Az

Offline Gator

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dragon-isle.net/kwilhite/keith.html
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2000, 06:49:00 PM »
  Yes, I would appreciate being taught in a dedicated training arena.

Also, what's a good off-line sim that would help with learning the AH planes?  Specifically the P-38?  I've done Red Baron 3D, but have to confess that I am new to WWII flying, just recently picked up EAW.  I'm a fan of the P-38 (several books, several videos/DVD's), think it's one beautiful bird (the 109 is next, for me).    

I really like the idea of a "historical" arena, but the idea of contributing more directly to the sim and its creators has me over here rather than learning in Warbirds (plus I like the flat fee idea, given what I've heard folks have spent over there).

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2000, 07:18:00 PM »

what's a good off-line sim that would help with learning the AH planes? Specifically the P-38?

Well mind you that each sim, whether online or offline, has its own very different flight model so there is really no way to get yourself ready for a flight model of the AH P-38 which does not yet exist nor any other plane which could be drastically different than AH's.

Some of the better flight models right now I guess are Warbirds which is free at http://www.iencentral.com/warbirds/index.shtml  or if you want to buy a good stand alone game, I recommend European Air War or Fighter Squadron:Screaming Demons Over Europe.  These are both good games and will have different flight models from the one in AH.  

What you will find when you come online for the first time is that there IS NO ENEMY AI in ANY game which will compare to a human opponents skill online.  You will find enemies who are as deadly as Erich Von Hartmann online so get ready to die ALOT at first.  The more you practice and learn you will begin racking up kills in no time.

-Dingy

TT

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2000, 07:52:00 PM »
 I only advised caution in selecting trainers. Read ripsnorts comments for example. There are a number of people that would make good trainers. Dolomite for one. IMO.

And you are right. I would make a lousy trainer. I fight almost intirely on instinct. I wouldnt know how to teach that.

Offline Gator

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.dragon-isle.net/kwilhite/keith.html
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2000, 10:31:00 PM »
  Thanx, Dingy, that's what I wanted to know.  I'll work on my off-line WWII skills in EAW, which I already have.  I basically knew that the FM's would not match up exactly, but I appreciate the "gentle" way you explained it to a newbie so's to make sure!  

I didn't want to invest time in a bad one (I understand the FM's in Jane's have received some criticism) and pick up any more bad habits than I have to.

Offline rosco-

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2000, 01:02:00 AM »
 I would definatly spend time in a TA. "in the student role" Sounds like a Great idea.

PS: I also think domolite would make a great trainer. He helped me in DOA get the nack of the DVA after weeks of getting my arse handed to me. Granted he was the DVA master but you feared him no matter what he was flying, and same is true here now!

[This message has been edited by rosco- (edited 01-19-2000).]

Offline Firefox

• Zinc Member
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2000, 07:33:00 AM »
TT,
Im not sure why your complaining or what your agenda is, but Im doing this of my own accord to help the multitude of New People out there to not be targets.  I am just requesting an arena,if there is an interest, Im not setting up training, hiring trainers or anything like that.  I just want a place to take someone "if they are having trouble and I can help", that would be free of dozens of people that would interfere.

Im glad that your such a stud pilot that can fly without help, bravo to ya.  But please check the tude, as there are 100s more that are not and get whacked daily by the likes of your self.

If we dont help those that need it, they will fast become frustrated and leave.  Then HT Loses and we lose.  PERIOD.

If you wish I can not do this and just leave it be so that in this "PC" world you wont feel bad because somebody treated you badly once.

With your comments and Tude, I wonder if it was entirely the trainer.

------------------
Rick "Firefox" Scott
VMF-214 / MAG 11
WB ID: firefx
AH ID: FirefxAT
Have Gun Will Travel

Offline Phantom121

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2000, 11:41:00 AM »
Very interested. I thought that is kinda what the h2h option was suppose to be.  It surely could be used for that and is sorely needed as a training aid.