Author Topic: A plea to the larger squads.......  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
A plea to the larger squads.......
« on: December 29, 2004, 06:42:09 AM »
.....and mission planners.
  Please spread things out a little on your squad nights.
  If I try to play in U.S. prime time, it usualy lasts only a short time before logging in pure amazement and ...well err disgust.
  I thought the last couple of weeks I would give prime time a little try again and noticed things have gotten much worse.
  Sunday night.... go to a base, get it prepped then BOOM here would come the horde. I`m not talking about any small horde, but the Mother Of all Hordes.
  Change areas, prep, announce to peeps in that were working that particualr area...BOOM... it`s horde time again.
  What I`m talking about here is anywhere from 2 to 3 full dar bars on one friggin base. Noobs or horde masters would see a squad mission going to a base, then run another mission hot on it`s tail.
  Monday night, same thing. The FHs, BHs, VHs, ord, troops, dar, outhouses, town, rabbits, wildlife, everything down and still a mass swarm.
  C`mon guys.......what can you possibly enjoy about this?
  I`m all for base capture and gameplay, but Good Golly Miss Molly spread the crap out. Hit 2, 3 , 4 bases instead of everyone going to one base and playing ring around the friggen rosie while the troops get there .
  The funny thing is, you can look at the map and see bases being taken by country X, usualy faster than the hordes.
  I`ve found that , as far as I`m concerned, the absolute best gameplay  is between 4:00 A.M. and around 9:00 A.M. U.S. Central time. In these times you can find it all. If you just want to fight it`s there. If you want base capture, it`s there. CV action, GVs it`s there. The difference being that a small group from one country will start an attack on a base and it`s met by a relatively equal number of defenders. Some great times comes from that. There is no plow it down, drop troops, rinse and repeat. Some great battles and great CV action comes at these times. I realize not everyone, or even most, can pick and choose the times they can play and most can`t play the game at the above mentioned times., so it`s prime time or nothing. Make it a little more enjoyable for everyone. It has to start somewhere at sometime or it will only get worse.
  The numbers reach their largest during U.S. prime time , then it turns into monkey see, monkey do. It`s really lame and destroys gameplay for base taking , furballers, GVers....everyone, and it is getting worse and worse.
  This is not a " play my way or else" statement. I`m simply asking that the larger squads from ALL countries spread it out a little, give a little thought as to gameplay.
  Ahh hell.....in other words--------> grow a pair.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 06:45:52 AM by Jackal1 »
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Canaris

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2004, 07:29:42 AM »
Jackal I know a lot of complained about this before, but no one going to stop.  Thats the way some of these people in here are and they dont care.  Except for us you have to deal with it and our night gets ruined because of it.

Canaris

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Re: A plea to the larger squads.......
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2004, 07:30:31 AM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
.....and mission planners.
  Please spread things out a little on your squad nights.

As a duly appointed Squadron Commander and Horde Supervisor, I feel qualified to respond to this post.

No.

Shubie

CO, Birds of Prey 69th Peregrines
XO, Birds of Prey

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: A plea to the larger squads.......
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2004, 08:33:34 AM »
Originally posted by rshubert
As a duly appointed Squadron Commander and Horde Supervisor, I feel qualified to respond to this post.

No.

Shubie

CO, Birds of Prey 69th Peregrines
XO, Birds of Prey

Yep, your more than qualified and was one of the ones I`m refering to. Just spread it out. Overkill is not becoming to a BOP.
Democracy is two wolves deciding on what to eat. Freedom is a well armed sheep protesting the vote.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: A plea to the larger squads.......
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2004, 01:41:04 PM »
Originally posted by Jackal1
Yep, your more than qualified and was one of the ones I`m refering to. Just spread it out. Overkill is not becoming to a BOP.

You guys crack me up.

The most realistic (you know, like real WW2 operations) gameplay in this game is the "horde".  Planes did not fly around in 2s and 3s in the war.  They flew around in squadron size or larger gaggles.

Thousand plane raids.  Rodeos involving several WINGS of fighters.  Circuses, sweeps, and large-scale attacks.  Compared to that, 20 BoPs or so attacking one airfield is a pale imitation.

And, they didn't do it that way due to lack of skill or courage.  They did it that way to effectively carry out their mission, and to destroy the enemy.

Like what we do, except with real risk, real danger, and actual tangible results.  We, of course, are only playing...

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
Re: Re: Re: Re: A plea to the larger squads.......
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2004, 02:27:34 PM »
You guys crack me up.

The most realistic (you know, like real WW2 operations) gameplay in this game is the "horde".  Planes did not fly around in 2s and 3s in the war.  They flew around in squadron size or larger gaggles.

It is pretty widely accepted that realism and fun are diametrically opposed.

Offline HUN

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2004, 02:42:12 PM »
BOPS used to like a good fight... I only see jerr, ^falc and ^pt these days keeping up that tradition.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2004, 03:04:15 PM »
And, they didn't do it that way due to lack of skill or courage. They did it that way to effectively carry out their mission, and to destroy the enemy

Exactly everything wrong with both "the game" and possibly society as a whole these days....

It's a stinkin game, its not a "mission" and the other guy isn't the "enemy"...he's just another noob sitting in front of his puter....just like you. Your not gaining anything of value by being a part of the horde...and your losing something valuable...the ability to play a game with some semblance of skill.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2004, 03:10:15 PM »
Originally posted by HUN
BOPS used to like a good fight... I only see jerr, ^falc and ^pt these days keeping up that tradition.

Oh, I don't know...what about Thrila, Waffle, BadCarma, and about a dozen others?  BTW, if you see PTBops, tell him I'm looking for him...gonna be near Cleveland on Tuesday.

shubie

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2004, 03:10:38 PM »
Originally posted by HUN

Oh, I don't know...what about Thrila, Waffle, BadCarma, and about a dozen others?  BTW, if you see PTBops, tell him I'm looking for him...gonna be near Cleveland on Tuesday.

shubie

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2004, 03:15:14 PM »
It's a stinkin game, its not a "mission" and the other guy isn't the "enemy"...he's just another noob sitting in front of his puter....just like you. Your not gaining anything of value by being a part of the horde...and your losing something valuable...the ability to play a game with some semblance of skill.

Hopefully this paragraph will be an epiphany to some ... hopefully.

It's OK .. walk towards the light ... it won't hurt at all ... I promise.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2004, 03:20:57 PM »
Originally posted by humble

Well, if you were to review my posts over time, you would find that we agree that this is a game.  My referring to the reasons for large-group tactics in war has nothing to do with that opinion, it had more to do with countering the usual "horde weenies are cowards" comeback.

If we both agree that it is a game,  there is no value in what we do outside the framework of the game.  Your assumption that there is any valuable lesson to be learned from this game is therefore incorrect.  Even if it were correct, I would then balance the acquired skills of group tactics, teamwork, and leadership against your acquired skills in simulated ACM.

I would then assert that those skills I have gained are more valuable to me in the real world than skill at simulated ACM.

Offline rshubert

• Silver Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: A plea to the larger squads.......
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2004, 03:25:47 PM »
Originally posted by Yippee38
It is pretty widely accepted that realism and fun are diametrically opposed.

By whom?  I'm having a ball.  If this weren't pure, escapist fun for me, I would be playing Tomb Raider or Duke Nukem or...

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2004, 03:42:41 PM »
If we both agree that it is a game, there is no value in what we do outside the framework of the game. Your assumption that there is any valuable lesson to be learned from this game is therefore incorrect. Even if it were correct, I would then balance the acquired skills of group tactics, teamwork, and leadership against your acquired skills in simulated ACM.

I kinda learned those things in real life, playing organized sports and in the Army. In organized sports (with the exception of Hockey/power plays) the numbers always match and you win by individual skill and leadership (and tactics) that can't rely on having an extra 11 players on the field.

In the military it's nice to have overwhelming numbers (and superior intel and equipment), but you still rely on individual skill (training) and leadership that can function and win (hopefully) without an overwhelming numerical advantage if required.

To say there there is any special leadership skill or teamwork involved in winning by outnumbering an opponent 3 or 4 to 1 is a bit of a stretch. I mean, how hard is it to say, "let's hit 51, you bring the goon. Be sure to get the GV hanger" while your swarm beat down the handful of defenders that may actually be defending that particular base? Now, if you can take a base when opposed by greater odds -- that's an accomplishment. But the hordes never really seem to seek out anyting approaching even odds.

Charon
« Last Edit: December 29, 2004, 04:12:42 PM by Charon »

Offline Jackal1

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: A plea to the larger squads.......
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2004, 04:05:56 PM »
 Compared to that, 20 BoPs or so attacking one airfield is a pale imitation.

It`s not just BOPS in your missions , but you know that. If it were 20 BOPS we wouldn`t be having the discussion to begin with.  As a matter of fact, it`s not just BOPS, period. I`m appealing to all of the larger squads with multi-wings, etc.
  You mentioned Waffle and thrila in another post. Great guys and great players in the game. That`s just it. Using BOPs as an example in this instance, I would say there are many , many in the different wings that are great guys and a hoot to fly with. They don`t need the 2 to 3 dar bars and the instatrashing of bases.
  Quite frankly , the guys you mention are waaaaay out of your league.
  Just a simple request really that would improve gameplay. Just have a little forethought on your squad nights. It will make it more enjoyable for everyone, including those in your missions.
  No matter what lengths is went to by HT and staff, in the end it boils down to the players to make the game tick. Just like in life , we can`t force anyone to stop taking a crap on the porch, then track it in on the carpet. It`s totaly up to you, but we can certainly tell you how bad it stinks.