Author Topic: No Flap Auto Retracts/Engine Overheat Damage  (Read 415 times)

Offline SirLoin

• Platinum Member
No Flap Auto Retracts/Engine Overheat Damage
« on: January 25, 2005, 10:29:01 AM »
I would like for these two things implemented...Make them selectable/disable in setup so if you do not want the extra challenge/immersion,you fly the old way with auto-retract flaps and no engine overheat damage.

What do u guys think?Would you at least like the option?

**JOKER'S JOKERS**

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 11:51:23 AM »
I think both could be fun additions.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 08:56:50 PM »
YES!

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 10:44:01 PM »
Definate yes.

But from what Hitech has told me before, flap damage occurs at the velocity at which they auto retract now.
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Online rabbidrabbit

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 10:53:29 PM »
if you have nothing to gain by breaking the flaps rather than retracting whats the point?  beyond a realism for an arena setting.. or if you just like pain..

I like the engine overheat for all...

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 07:42:13 AM »
Id ratheer see it as a arena setting then as a personal setting.

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 04:18:04 PM »
I'd over use the engine if I was in a SHTF situation.  But I don't know if I'd auto retract flaps or not.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 05:05:31 PM »
From what I understand, engine overheat is gamey BS and is in no way a model of realistic engine behavior.

As to the flaps, as long as the simply get ripped off of the P-38 (let's be honest, that is the aircraft in question) at 251mph and is a setting like combat trim, sure.  If it is, as the P-38 drivers want, a free kill at the expense of their flaps, then no way.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Seeker

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 07:17:54 PM »
Pyro has argued that he doesn't believe that a high performance engine built for an eight hour mission would go bang just because you run it hard.

And to be honest; F1 racing bears him out. I mean; you've got high performance engines being horribly abused; but when they go bang; it's the designers/mechanics that get the blame; not the driver; because the engine is being used as it was meant to be: it's being thrashed; and that's what they're for. Of all the myriad pilot accounts I've read; I've never heard a pilot ***** because he had to throttle back due to overheat on an undamaged engine. I've read many an account where a pilot oversped his airframe; but that's not at all the same thing.

On the other hand; early jets were very tricky. They could go bang with throttle abuse; and maybe that's something that HTC could look at. I'd rather like to see the WWII jets included; and I'd hope that HTC's attention to detail would not only model the opperational robustness of the Wasp engine; but also the operational frailty of the early jets.

Maybe in TOD. I seem to remember a post from HTC where in TOD was supposed to give high ranking flyers better planes. That would infer that if you suck you get a sucky plane. Maybe if you suck only a little bit; you get to fly a 262 with 10 hour old engines.....

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 09:22:37 PM »
The jets as they are right now, automatically slowly scale the throttle.

So while you might slam your throttle forward for the Me262, it would only give the plane as much throttle as it could handle.  So there gets to a certain throttle quickness, where the faster you go, it doesn't matter anymore (in AH2).

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 09:50:33 PM »
If I recall HT's response to this question was "You want flaps that auto rip off?" Maybe we should have instant death on pilot wounds i.e. brains on the canopy instead of a blood splatter. How about heating coils in your joystick when your plane catches fire? Maybe you should die when bailing because you broke your neck crawling out of the cockpit in a spin? Just how realistic do you want? IT'S A GAME.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2005, 09:59:03 PM »
that's good neither a troll, nor an argument.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2005, 10:54:56 PM »
rpm,

I have no wish to see AH turn into "Flapfest: The Combat"

If that is your wish, please go play Il-2 where you can use your flaps all day at whatever speed you like.

I would prefer to see AH continue to try to simulate WWII aircombat and that includes some real restrictions on flap use.  There are two ways to force the players to use flaps in a somewhat realistic manner.  1) You can have the flaps auto-retract once their max rated speed is exceeded.  2) You can have the flaps tear off the aircraft once their max rated speed is exceeded.  The key point is that the flap effect must be removed once the max rated speed is passed.

Anything else is pandering to the desire of some players to use the fact that it is a computer game in order to abuse their airframe in ways that are not consistant with WWII air combat.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-