Author Topic: EEK ! "E" greed kills me !  (Read 1245 times)

Offline blur

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
EEK ! "E" greed kills me !
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2000, 09:49:00 AM »

Originally posted by Citabria:
I've shifted my objective this tour from having a high K/d ratio, always surviving sorties and getting high rank to...

killing as many ground targets as I can find with JABO attacks.

smashing those damn ack gattling guns to bits with rockets  

rescuing anyone with a bandit on their tail at all costs.

digital death is trivial to me now.
it's more fun to live dangerously as possible.

I wonder if "scorepotato" burnout is typical as I too have been defending heavily capped airfields and going head-to-head with acks.  

Hallelujah, I'm free at last!  

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2000, 09:32:00 AM »
Haf the same problem a while back SAW .. found that i wasn't AGRESSIVE enough .. for example:

you come in with all your horded E on his 6 .. high closure and he's breaking low ..

old Duck -> Pull up .. grind teeth .. rinse and repeat till his buddies show up and blow me away

new Duck -> make a high speed turn to a side (prefered the bottom side of the target) and then follow low -> see this as a nose low spiral.. he'll most probably loose sight on you, because he expects you to go UP and be on his high 6 again ... instead you're on his 7-9 clk with stilll heaps of E. Most pilots tend to straighten out and look where you are when they lost you  

and then get the hell outta DODGE to grab some alt ..

Cyas UP there !

------------------

Phillip "Duckwing6" Artweger
Flight Officer "E" Flight
Skeleton Crew

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2000, 10:29:00 AM »
Something that I have found to work very well against 1 v 1 Pony (me) vs Spit is too approach slightly differently.

In a fight with many planes in view, you don't want to do this, but if its just you and the spit its fairly safe.

Typically when you bounce one, you come in from high 6, this allows him to see you and time the patented split S defensive perfectly.

So what you do is shadow him like you typically do, then about 3k in 2k drop below him agressively, to get to his slightly low 6, but with lots of speed (around 400IAS typically). Now your in his blind spot.

He has to either turn or begin his break already to bring you back into visual, which means you can lead turn/roll into his manuever and get the shot off. Or he loses sight and you get an easy shot off anyways. Either way, you have the initiative instead of him.

Try it it works.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure
Carpe Jugulum
"Real Men fly Radials, Nancy Boys fly Spitfires"

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2000, 12:14:00 PM »
We all go through slumps!  I've been through some nasty ones, although lately I seem to be doing OK.  Occassionally I'll have a couple of sessions where I'm sudenly a totally uber pilot who can take rediculous chances and come out on top.  Mostly though, that happens for about one sortie, I get cocky, and then I die repeatedly for a week at least. <G>

If you are an FW pilot... are you using barrel roll attacks and lag displacement rolls?  Once I learned how to do it, the barrel roll attack became my bread & butter in the P47 and FW.  Lag displacement rolls are very important too.  The key to being aggressive in an E fighter like the FW without getting dead is to use lag persuit at all times unless you are about to shoot with a very high chance of destroying the target.  This will conserver your E while you wait for the perfect opportunity to pull lead and kill him.  You can be much more aggressive and still survive if you use lag persuit.

It is difficult to balance aggression and E fighting, but walking that fine line is what makes succeeding in an E fight so much fun!

I don't have time right now, but when I get home tonight I'll describe a barrel roll attack and lag displacement rolls for everyone.  How and when to use them included.  

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

"MY P-47 is a pretty good ship
And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip
I was thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip
Always got me through so far
Well they can ship me all over this great big world
But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl
I'm taking her home with me one day, sir
Soon as we win this war"
 - Steve Earl

[This message has been edited by Lephturn (edited 05-08-2000).]

Offline Saintaw

• Platinum Member
      • My blog
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2000, 01:38:00 PM »
Thank you Master  
Saw
Dirty, nasty furriner.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2000, 03:08:00 PM »
I use lag displacement rolls even in planes like the 205.  With it's great accel and climbing ability, you can easily get inside a low spit if he tries to break turn on you.  Basically all you need to do is roll away and pull just a few g's.  You will gain a little alt and gain a little separation.  Then you roll back into the other guy.  You will now be right on his 5 or 7 oclock position with a huge speed advantage.  You can at least get a close range snapshot before using that speed to get out of the area.

I know exactly what you mean about K/d going down.  I ALWAYS do terrible for the first two weeks of a tour.  It seems you always end up in a 1 vs 3 with an alt disadvantage.    This tour I got blasted out of the sky 3 times before I was even able to fire a single round at another plane.  Unfortunately I haven't had much time to play for the past few days, so I haven't been able to fly for more than 5 hours this whole tour.  (I plan on playing tonight though.   )

------------------
bloom25
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Lephturn

• Silver Member
      • http://lephturn.webhop.net
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2000, 03:23:00 PM »

What you describe is using lag persuit to get yourself into a high yoyo.    I'll try to describe a barrel roll attack tonight.  Need pictures. <G>

------------------
Lephturn - Chief Trainer
A member of The Flying Pigs
Visit Lephturn's Aerodrome for AH news, resources, and training data.
 http://users.andara.com/~sconrad/

"MY P-47 is a pretty good ship
And she took a round coming 'cross the Channel last trip
I was thinking 'bout my baby and lettin' her rip
Always got me through so far
Well they can ship me all over this great big world
But I'll never find nothing like my North End girl
I'm taking her home with me one day, sir
Soon as we win this war"
 - Steve Earl