Author Topic: Skin tutorial  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Skin tutorial
« on: January 03, 2005, 02:39:40 PM »
Does anyone have a good skin tutorial or know of one?  I want to start practicing on making P-38 skins.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Skin tutorial
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 03:09:46 PM »
Do a seach for "skinners heaven", they have a few good tutorials.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Skin tutorial
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 04:23:41 PM »
Thinking you must have gotten your copy of the 479th history with those color aircraft profiles in the back? :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Skin tutorial
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 04:44:08 PM »

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Skin tutorial
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 06:54:07 PM »
United... You know just as well as I do that the skinning tutorial they have at Skinner's Heaven is of little use to AH2 skinners, and your tutorial glazes over a lot of detailed work (layers, anyone?).

I'm in the process of making my own skinning tutorial. It will show you how to make panel lines/rivets, use layers, make scratches, add weathering, and so on. It could take a few days, but expect it soon on my site.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
Skin tutorial
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 06:55:36 PM »
Originally posted by Fruda
United... You know just as well as I do that the skinning tutorial they have at Skinner's Heaven is of little use to AH2 skinners, and your tutorial glazes over a lot of detailed work (layers, anyone?).

I'm in the process of making my own skinning tutorial. It will show you how to make panel lines/rivets, use layers, make scratches, add weathering, and so on. It could take a few days, but expect it soon on my site.

Looking forward to this ...  :aok
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Skin tutorial
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2005, 07:22:15 PM »
Hehe Fruda, good luck with that. :cool:
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
Skin tutorial
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2005, 09:32:17 PM »
The tutorials at Skinners Heaven aren't useless.
In fact the description of how to use 'Eye Candy" for weathering is almost what I use to do mine.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
Skin tutorial
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 10:44:03 PM »

Looking forward to yours. :)

I made mine with the intention of having the users already know how to use PSP, not first time users.  I may go back sometime and change it for first-timers.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Skin tutorial
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 11:12:20 PM »
Thanks guys for the links and Fruda, I'll be looking forward to your tutorial.

And +Tiff, yeah, I got my 479th book :c)

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Skin tutorial
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 02:09:35 AM »
Originally posted by Ack-Ack
Thanks guys for the links and Fruda, I'll be looking forward to your tutorial.

And +Tiff, yeah, I got my 479th book :c)

ack-ack

I'm working on replicating the nose art in Illustrator for that 38 "Lucky Lady" on the off chance that one might get done when the new 38s arrive.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Fruda

• Silver Member
Skin tutorial
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 04:34:00 PM »
Note that I said the Skinner's Heaven tutorials are *almost* useless. The only parts I found useful were the weathering/scratches, and also the tutorial for shiny metal. But, that's only about 1/8th of the whole tutorial, so yes, mostly useless.

And as I said, be on the lookout for my tutorial. It goes from the ground-up: from making new layers to adding finishing touches. I'll be releasing it with my P-51D Natural Metal template.

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Skin tutorial
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2005, 05:18:34 PM »
I think for the beginners out there, a short introduction to layers is all that is needed.  I had no clue what layers were maybe 6 months ago, and now they are my best friend.

Fruda, which application(s) are you using?  Not trying to come off like a salamander or anything, but not too long ago you were looking for advice to get *started* skinning.  How do you expect to accomplish a tutorial that covers everything?  I say this because shoudl I become motivated to create even a beginner tutorial on, say, layers, I would think that my l337 sk1llz barely qualify me as a fledgling noob... and I wouldn't want to give bad information to the new guys.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Getting Started
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2005, 06:37:40 PM »
I'd like to work on a B24 skin and just started on it, but I'm using the "by guess and by gosh" method of learning it. Is there an old thread from way back that tells the basics, like what do do right after you download the template into a skins folder, and then how to save it in a usable format so you can fly it in the offline mode to see your results? Everything in between would be helpful, too, since I know absolutely nothing about skinning other than what I've gleaned from these forums. I do have Paint Shop Pro, an old version, but would spring for the newest version if it's worth it.
F4jCH

Originally posted by Octavius
I think for the beginners out there, a short introduction to layers is all that is needed.  I had no clue what layers were maybe 6 months ago, and now they are my best friend.

Fruda, which application(s) are you using?  Not trying to come off like a salamander or anything, but not too long ago you were looking for advice to get *started* skinning.  How do you expect to accomplish a tutorial that covers everything?  I say this because shoudl I become motivated to create even a beginner tutorial on, say, layers, I would think that my l337 sk1llz barely qualify me as a fledgling noob... and I wouldn't want to give bad information to the new guys.
:confused:

Offline F4J

• Zinc Member
Getting Started Tutorial
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2005, 06:40:30 PM »
I meant to mention that I'm looking forward to this new tutorial when it comes out, but in my previous post I was wondering about info that's already out there that I can get started with.
F4j

Note that I said the Skinner's Heaven tutorials are *almost* useless. The only parts I found useful were the weathering/scratches, and also the tutorial for shiny metal. But, that's only about 1/8th of the whole tutorial, so yes, mostly useless.

And as I said, be on the lookout for my tutorial. It goes from the ground-up: from making new layers to adding finishing touches. I'll be releasing it with my P-51D Natural Metal template.