Author Topic: Need instructions for an advanced ACM  (Read 627 times)

Sorrow[S=A]

Need instructions for an advanced ACM
« on: January 21, 2000, 11:35:00 PM »
Can anyone provide me with a detailed ribbon demonstration or instructions on how to perform a "snap roll"?
  I have seen it done several times but simply cannot do it on my own. The one I am asking for is where the plane seems to "swivel" on it's nose in a rapid corkscrew like motion. Thanks!

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.

Offline wells

• Copper Member
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2000, 12:02:00 AM »
Kick the rudder full one way or the other, then pull full back on the stick to stall the wings.  One wing will stall first from the yaw and the plane will flick around.  Some might even flick without the rudder if there's enough torque from the propeller.  Throw some aileron into it too if ya want, that will speed up the entry but wont' necessarily speed up the actual snap roll and it may make it harder to recover from the snap roll.  To recover, reverse the process...opposite rudder, down elevator about a 1/2 turn before you wanna stop.

Offline Sharky

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.31stfightergroup.com
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2000, 12:58:00 AM »
Sorrows,

Other than a neat little manuver for aerobatics why would you want to perform a snaproll in a fight?  As stated it is an accelerated stall that requires the loss of a lot of energy to perform.  Although it may momentarily spoil the shot of an attacker, it will leave you wollowing for a following attack.

Sharky

214CaveJ

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2000, 12:03:00 PM »
Generally speaking Sharky, I'll agree with you.  But there are some times when a snap roll can come in handy.

If you've got altitude it may provide you with a means to extend out of the fight.  I was flying a hawg and tangled with a pony at about 15k.  We stayed about 15k but I had pulled a couple turns a little too far and burned a lot of E.  The pony was getting low, but still had a little more than I did.
Anywho, this pony is getting ready to chew me up, saddling up good and closing to about 300yds.  I kicked the rudder hard, pulled the stick to me gut and snapped right outta the line of fire.  Let the bird roll over twice and pointed me nose at the ground and flew away.

Sorrow[S=A]

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2000, 05:03:00 PM »
Yes sharky, the place I have seen this used against me is when people are jinking and avoiding me. Thank you very much wells for explaining it  
The snap roll BTW from my experiance on the other end is an excellent weapon when you have an equally manueverable plane on your 6 and hes getting within 400 yds. At that point jinking is not cutting the mustard and a snaproll can start the overshoot gambit while removing you from his sights. Nik2's use this on my La-5 allot.

------------------
If your in range, so is the enemy.