Author Topic: TrackIR or this...  (Read 552 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
TrackIR or this...
« on: January 09, 2005, 06:07:33 PM »
http://www.3dvisor.com/

Or both to give you 6DOF + accurate horizontal/vertical tracking on an HMD?

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2005, 07:46:29 PM »
Interesting. It's resolution is kinda low though.

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 08:26:50 PM »
The day that comes out with 1280x1024 Im buyin...

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2005, 08:54:39 PM »
I have been looking for a good hmd {head mounted display} for a while, kinda gave up, im looking forward to future developments, but compatibility, and cost are still big issues. I think the way to go would be to get track ir vector, and then get a seporate set of gogles i doubt "emagine"  is as easy to deal with as natural point, in fact i bet they have borowed  a fiew ideas. I think in 5 years or so the gogles will start to become practical as more people get head trackers and realize the wealth of imersion enhancing hardware and software out there.  The technology has been out  there since the 80s, the demand hasnt, i think its time is coming tho. :cool:

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2005, 09:44:09 PM »
If they ever get the technology working for a reasonable cost it'll be great.  But so far no one can get past the hurtle of consistant manufacturing LCDs that small with good resolution for cheap.

The new developments in OLED look promising.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 10:26:48 PM »
problem is with trackir the range, having used a real headset for a couple of years I just can't see how good trackir would be.

800x600 per eye is pretty good res, esp for $899 list. Plus they have 2 tracked axis, stereoscopic as well (AH in true 3D).

I've been watching and waiting, and so far this is the best I've seen so far.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 10:29:04 PM »
Originally posted by ALF
If they ever get the technology working for a reasonable cost it'll be great.  But so far no one can get past the hurtle of consistant manufacturing LCDs that small with good resolution for cheap.

The new developments in OLED look promising.

Actually smaller LED's are easier to make than larger ones. I stripped down my VFX-1 once, the LEDs in that were about 5mm square each. Tracking systems are the major hurdle, plus the circuitry to integrate to the PC.

The real problem with small LED's is the huge demand for them at the moment.

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2005, 11:24:34 PM »
origionaly posted by Vulcan

problem is with trackir the range  

what do you mean by "range"?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 08:24:54 AM by eilif »

Offline XtrmeJ

• Gold Member
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2005, 11:40:52 PM »
Originally posted by Vulcan
problem is with trackir the range, having used a real headset for a couple of years I just can't see how good trackir would be.

800x600 per eye is pretty good res, esp for $899 list. Plus they have 2 tracked axis, stereoscopic as well (AH in true 3D).

I've been watching and waiting, and so far this is the best I've seen so far.

Could buy a decent monitor for that price, and with a far better resolution. I'd say wait until they develop technology for the tiny LCD screens to have a better resolution.

Also, I would rather have TrackIR and look at my big 20" monitor as opposed a small LCD screen. Or am I wrong here?

Offline Balsy

• Nickel Member
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2005, 07:26:47 AM »
Texmurphy,

1024 by 768 is available... just for 30K last time I checked.

Get that checkbook out.

Offline ALF

• Silver Member
      • http://www.mikethinks.com
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 09:22:28 AM »
Actually smaller LED's are easier to make than larger ones. I stripped down my VFX-1 once, the LEDs in that were about 5mm square each. Tracking systems are the major hurdle, plus the circuitry to integrate to the PC.

The real problem with small LED's is the huge demand for them at the moment.

VFX-1 263x230 True Pixels
not exactly earth shattering
Small LCD are easier to make than larger ones only in a static resolution per inch enviroment.  Saying that making small LCD is easy is silly.....a 1" LCD at 1012x768 costs over ten times what the same resolution costs at 15"    Making a small crappy LCD may be cheap....making a good quality hi resolution LCD is insanely expensive at the moment.  

Head tracking is not a problem.  TIR3 tracks your head fine.  

If you combined a $30,000.00 LCD headset with a $200.00 track IR vector, you have virtual reality.   Unfortunately, I cant have a nice car and a 30k headset....
« Last Edit: January 10, 2005, 09:27:02 AM by ALF »

Offline wklink

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.simhq.com
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »
TrackIR3, especially with the 6DOF addon.

Sorry, that thing doesn't look like it is really any better at 4X the price.
The artist formerly known as Tom 'Wklink' Cofield

Offline Yippee38

• Copper Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 11:07:31 AM »

Where I sit, the tracker on my TrackHat is 3 feet from the TrackIR.  That was pushing it for my TrackIR1, but for the TrackIR 3 Pro, it's no problem.  

I used to scheme constantly on how to make an HMD.  Now I've got the TrackIR and I really feel I don't need an HMD anymore.  If you're thinking about building one and using the TIR for tracking, why not pick one up and try it as it is first.  It might meet your needs too.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 05:24:25 PM »
Originally posted by ALF
VFX-1 263x230 True Pixels
not exactly earth shattering
Small LCD are easier to make than larger ones only in a static resolution per inch enviroment.  Saying that making small LCD is easy is silly.....a 1" LCD at 1012x768 costs over ten times what the same resolution costs at 15"    Making a small crappy LCD may be cheap....making a good quality hi resolution LCD is insanely expensive at the moment.  

Head tracking is not a problem.  TIR3 tracks your head fine.  

If you combined a $30,000.00 LCD headset with a $200.00 track IR vector, you have virtual reality.   Unfortunately, I cant have a nice car and a 30k headset....

Errr the VFX was more like 580x300 pixels, dunno where you got those specs from but they're way wrong. And thats what 10 years ago?

TrackIR only tracks a small range, ie turn your head full to the left or right, can it track that? Whereas headsets like the VFX tracked 360 degrees left right and large X and Z ranges. So the TrackIR cannot do true 1:1 tracking, plus you have to keep ur eyes on the monitor.

Dunno bout your costs, but I was talking to an LCD manufacturer at the time (ie, taiwanese).

Offline eilif

• Silver Member
TrackIR or this...
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2005, 11:22:14 PM »