Author Topic: help with gv  (Read 554 times)

Offline sinkhole

• Zinc Member
help with gv
« on: February 18, 2005, 08:01:35 AM »
Hello everyone. I am on my 2 week trial right now (I also did a trial 4 years ago). My joystick is broken so I am using gv right now.

I have a question.
Having nothing better to do that I know of, I took an M-8 (because of the speed) from one of the vehicle fields and went to attack an enemy field that was under attack.  As I approached the field, I heard someone firing at me. I could see the tracers and I could make out the dot that they were coming from. My question is, how did he see me? I didn't see a label on him so I don't think there was one on me, and I must have only been a dot to him, and how was he able to aim and hit me at that distance? He blasted me with 2 or three hits (I think).

Isn't there some sort of  online manulal? The help file doesn't include much.

Thanks

Offline Aubrey

• Copper Member
help with gv
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 08:23:19 AM »
http://www.netaces.org/ahmain/siteframe.html#title

He probabaly was stopped with his engine off. He heard you coming and localized you with sound, then zoomed in and saw you. use the zoom on your gun then the  bracket keys to zoom in even more.

Offline sinkhole

• Zinc Member
help with gv
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 08:28:43 AM »
Thanks  Aubrey

Offline sinkhole

• Zinc Member
help with gv
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 08:29:42 AM »
Unfortunately the "Idiot's guide to ground warfare" is a bad link. Does anyone have the pdf file?

The site seems to have enough info anyway though.

Offline Soda

• Silver Member
      • http://members.shaw.ca/soda_p/models.htm
help with gv
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 09:10:04 AM »
sinkhole,
  A couple of items that might help.  GV's won't have icons on each other, only friendly icons, so he couldn't have seen you that way.  One of the key issues with GV"s though is spotting your enemy first and getting off the first shots so you really need to have good situational awareness.  For that, I'd first consider making sure your detail levels are set a bit higher, there is a "ground-detail" mode (SHIFT-F4 I believe) that you can turn on that will help.  I find that when I was playing with detail set very low (because I had a PC with little horsepower) I'd get things shooting at me that I couldn't see AND there would be lots of trees/buildings/etc that wouldn't even appear until I was almost on top of them.  That might explain why you had trouble seeing him if your detail was set low.  Secondly, the GV game really requires great patience and observation.  Guys will sit and wait for you with their engine off, listening as much as looking.  they can hear you coming and set themselves up to spot you very quickly.  It's an acquired skill.  They'll wait until you are very close range and pop you with the first or second shot.

So, some tips:
1) stop, turn off your engine, and listen sometimes.  Dont' just sit there with the engine idling lest they hear you and spot you.
2) the best place to drive from is actually the roof-commanders spot.  Get moving and then switch to the top (usually position 3) so you can look around.  You can still steer with the rudders from up there (if you have them, or a twisty stick).
3) set a "comfortable" zoom level in your gunsight.  You want to be consistent because after a while you will develop a "ok, his vehicle is the size that I'd say is D1.2 away".  It's amazing how quickly some people can estimate range because they simply know how large a GV looks at different distances.  If you vary your zoom level a lot then it's hard to develop that.

Finally, one more point, aim for the turret or drivers position on most GV's as that is the part that will lead you to a kill.  If you kill the turret he can't shoot back, but the drivers position tends to give kills.  Someone posted some pics a while ago showing that.  Oh, and the M8 is fun because of it's speed, but it's not really a good match for real tanks.  The gun is only effective at short ranges and the armour is paper thin against even .50 cal hits.

Hope that helps.

-Soda

Offline sinkhole

• Zinc Member
help with gv
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 01:22:38 PM »
I think I've pretty much got the hang of it:)

I am playing for the Rooks. I went up to  V3(Knights) in a Panzer, stopping often to listen. I didn't hear a gv, but I did hear the siren from the vb and I saw it starting to flash on the map, so I knew they knew I was coming. I didn't hear anything for a long time though. I parked in a group of trees about a click away from the field and shut down.

Soon I heard a low gv noise, and I kept the sound centered on my speakers.  Eventually I saw the tank (I think) moving  on the other side of a tree line.  The sound was getting louder, but it looked really small. The sound stopped. Then I remembered I read about using the [] keys to zoom, so I zoomed all the way in to the spot I last heard the gv (It had gone behind thicker trees at this point and I had lost sight.

I saw just a part of its skirt sticking out from a bunch of trees. I fired a few rounds (about the 4-5 mark on the range marks), ajusting as necessary. I could see his cannon all of a sudden swing into view and then disappear again (I tried to take a screenshot but couldn't remember the key). I couldn't hit him though, and he started his engine and moved about 20 or 30 meters to where he had a shot of me, and started firing.  I think that was when I realized I was using AP, and I switched to HE. I started firing again and I think on the third round, I hit him and I think the turret popped off. My first AH2 kill.

Afterwards I retreated a bit and fired HE into the field. I blew up an ammo dump, and then I saw some tanks go by. I missed them, though. I was firing at the 2.4 to 2.7 marks. Then I noticed that a little bit in front of that, a tank had parked and was facing right at me.:D  He fired AP I think, and the first landed well in front of me. The next two craters advanced at a linear rate and by the 4th shot he had hit me. I think it took 3 hits and I was toast. I couldn't adjust as fast as him.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 01:29:41 PM by sinkhole »

Offline sinkhole

• Zinc Member
help with gv
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 04:24:54 PM »
Why does the turret ammo show around 1300 but there are only about 60 rounds of ammo in the tank?:confused:

Offline go4maw

• Zinc Member
help with gv
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 06:22:04 PM »
the 1300 would be the top mount machine gun rounds
and 60 the main gun rounds .
 (( And also be advised the Rooks are the bad guys ! ))
 ;)

Offline sinkhole

• Zinc Member
help with gv
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005, 04:22:08 AM »
My display shows

Ammo
#2 Turret 1332
#3 Pintle MG 1250
#4 Hull MG 450

And when I fire the cannon, the Turret count goes down, even though the display in the sight reads the actual amount (40) of ammo:confused:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2005, 05:03:04 AM by sinkhole »

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
help with gv
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 05:03:45 AM »
You have a machine gun mounted right next to the cannon. If you press the secondary fire button, (b) for me, it will fire this machine gun. The 1300 is the machine gun rounds +all cannon ammo.

Offline sinkhole

• Zinc Member
help with gv
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 05:17:13 AM »
Thansks, I didn't know we had a coax.

I have another question. I am parked near an enemy vb, and I know there is a tank about 400 feet away over a hill, and he also knows I'm somewhere close by. Every  5-10 minutes I hear a cannon blast which I think is coming from him, followed by the "base under attack" voice. Why does that voice go off? Is he trying to scare me out or something?

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
help with gv
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 04:12:51 PM »
AFTER you hit (Z)oom, use the [  ] keys to zoom in more.  Played AH for almost 6months before I discovered this.

HUGE differance
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
help with gv
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2005, 12:49:21 AM »
I'm surprised you got kills with HE rounds.

AP: Armor Piercing for GV-GV attack.
HE: Heavy(High) Explosive. Does twice the damage to a structure and AP shell will.
SMK: Smoke. Has no penetration or explosion ability, but makes a wafting plume of white smoke that, when in large amounts, will disable anyone to see through it. Has a limited time, much like a Smoke Bomb.

Hit these points on a tank for best results.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.