Author Topic: Weapon selection request  (Read 530 times)

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Weapon selection request
« on: January 12, 2005, 01:01:44 PM »
Would it be possible to put in a blank '----' when cycling the weapons on an aircraft? So, for example, if you were carrying a P38 with eggs and rockets you could select the cannon, the eggs, the rockets, or nothing at all.

This way, you could fire the main trigger without firing anything more than the MG. Granted, I have a stick that I can program, but not everyone does.

(its funny seeing someone trying to HO you with eggs)  :D
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Weapon selection request
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 01:38:42 PM »
Ummm......default setup DOES only fire the MGs (or primary weapon, if there are only cannon).  You have to change the mapping to have the trigger on your joystick (button 1) fire both primary and secondary weapons at the same time.  Every joystick Ive tried with AH (3 so far) has defaulted to:

Button 1 = Fire primary weapon
Button 2 = Fire secondary weapon

You may be using some brand specific mapping software that overrides the default AH mapping.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Weapon selection request
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 09:20:12 AM »
Exactly, why not use the trigger to fire both sets of guns at the same time? Thats what I have it set up as, and I have 3 more set ups on the same stick so I can fire just one, the other, or both.

So, if everyone has already mapped their trigger to fire both gun sets at the same time then adding a '----' would be a good idea.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline StarOfAfrica2

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.vf-17.org
Weapon selection request
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 11:44:33 AM »
Because quite simply, not everyone WANTS to fire both guns at once.  In planes with both MG and cannon, the cannon rounds are fewer and far more precious for quick kills.  You dont want to waste them on longer range "spray and pray" tactics.  I use my MG's alot of times to try to break a bogie off someone's tail, knowing I'm too far to get a real shot at them.  If they see tracers though, alot of times its enough to make them break.

I understand now what you are asking for, but even if HTC thought it was a good idea, I seriously doubt you would see something that requires that much reprogramming while they have so much else on their plate right now.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Weapon selection request
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 12:08:56 PM »
i would never set the main fire to fire both guns....

you must not fly the 109's much. 150 cannon and 1400 MG rounds

4-5 bursts and you are out of cannons, and have only 2 mg's left. yeah tons of rounds, but from only 2 guns it does nothing.

if i KNOW i have the shot i fire only cannon to assure a kill, otherwise i "feel" out the target with MG's until im more comfortable with the shot.

also mentioned, someone is running from you, and you have 1400+ puny MG rounds, why not spray a bunch @ D800+ and possibly make the bandit turn.
I don't know what to put here yet.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Weapon selection request
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 12:24:22 PM »
Like I posted above, I have 3 different trigger set ups so I could really care less if this is instituted or not. I just thought it was a good idea for those with a joystick with doesn't allow this.

I fly the P38, same amount of cannon rounds.

Originally posted by JB73
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
Weapon selection request
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 12:26:18 PM »
Yea, they have alot on their plate right now (most notably my new 38s) and I'd much rather see that pushed than a single setting change. :)

Originally posted by StarOfAfrica2
I understand now what you are asking for, but even if HTC thought it was a good idea, I seriously doubt you would see something that requires that much reprogramming while they have so much else on their plate right now.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"

Offline FDutchmn

• Silver Member
Weapon selection request
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 04:24:27 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium
Exactly, why not use the trigger to fire both sets of guns at the same time? Thats what I have it set up as, and I have 3 more set ups on the same stick so I can fire just one, the other, or both.

So, if everyone has already mapped their trigger to fire both gun sets at the same time then adding a '----' would be a good idea.

Delirium, I use a TM Cougar and the throttle have a three-way rocker switch.  Depending on the position of this switch, I can fire primary, secondary, or both using just my trigger.

ohhh wait, you want it for those who don't have this kinda setup.  then it would be helpful...

Offline Clifra Jones

• Silver Member
Weapon selection request
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 04:06:12 PM »
Originally posted by Delirium
Like I posted above, I have 3 different trigger set ups so I could really care less if this is instituted or not. I just thought it was a good idea for those with a joystick with doesn't allow this.

I fly the P38, same amount of cannon rounds.

Thing is AH allows you to do this. I could program different stick setups in CH Control Manager but it's easier just to do it in AH. Set up different stick sets and program a button to toggle through them. What I would like to see is some indication of which stick set is active. Say in the Ctrl-I information. I sometimes forget what set is current and wonder why I can kill anything because I'm only firing one set of Mgs.

There is a thread in here explaining this so I won't do this here.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 04:08:50 PM by Clifra Jones »

Offline Octavius

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
Weapon selection request
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 04:20:23 PM »
Originally posted by JB73
i would never set the main fire to fire both guns....

4-5 bursts and you are out of cannons, and have only 2 mg's left. yeah tons of rounds, but from only 2 guns it does nothing.

if i KNOW i have the shot i fire only cannon to assure a kill, otherwise i "feel" out the target with MG's until im more comfortable with the shot.

also mentioned, someone is running from you, and you have 1400+ puny MG rounds, why not spray a bunch @ D800+ and possibly make the bandit turn.

I fire both MGs and cannon rounds together in 109s.  MG-131s help a lot - many discredit them and call'em bunk.  Any caliber gun is lethal if you train it to a certain area for a second or two.
octavius
Fat Drunk BasTards (forum)

"bastard coated bastards with bastard filling?  delicious!"
Guest of the ++Blue Knights++[/size]

Offline Engine

• Silver Member
Weapon selection request
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 04:44:20 PM »
It's beyond me how you can land any tracking hits with that wacky TrackIR thingie. :)

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
Weapon selection request
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 05:59:50 PM »
Originally posted by Octavius
I fire both MGs and cannon rounds together in 109s.  MG-131s help a lot - many discredit them and call'em bunk.  Any caliber gun is lethal if you train it to a certain area for a second or two.
im tlking about the 7.2 mm ones not the 131's

if and when (read rarely) i fly a 109 i fly an F4 or G2
I don't know what to put here yet.