Author Topic: More Yak  (Read 487 times)

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
More Yak
« on: February 25, 2005, 02:57:18 PM »
Gunnery in the yak9U was always tough, but now I can't hit squat with it. Any tips?

Has the gun model changed? I have had a few real close encounters with guys (200m) amd been unable to land that kill. Sometimes I get more kills causing them to crash!.

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
More Yak
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2005, 02:59:03 PM »
I had a close encounter with a guy in a smoking Hurri IIC tonight. I tried and tried but couldn't lay a finger on him. If he is reading this Salute:aok

I got real close, but jeez! What a pilot. Ran out of ammo in the end.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
More Yak
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2005, 05:35:08 PM »
I know this sounds like a lousy fix but head over to the TA or go offline, take off in yer yak and head north. Then turn on the target. Try it at 200 yds then 300 yds. See where the rounds are hitting with your current convergence setup. Yer looking to get the quantity of weight (all dem 20's) in one spot. Make what ever changes necessary to make that happen. You already said you think something's different. It may be where yer rounds are actually hitting. You've been around so you don't need to know how to bring up a target.

For those that don't the command is
 .target 200

The 200 represents the distance. If you want 300 yds just type
 .target 300 .

To close the target the command is
 .target 0 (zero)

You have to be flying north to see the target.

Hope this helps you sort out the problem. I've had no problems with the yak. I've got all gun convergencce set to 300 yds. I normally take shots between 200-300 (300 being max). If you have convergencce set to 600 the rounds may be goin over his canopy.

Ren

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
More Yak
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2005, 02:24:19 AM »
Thanks for the help, I'll try that. I have most planes set to  300 convergence.  I noticed in offline mode shooting at drones I struggle to hit till real close too, so it's not internet lag!

Like you I have all guns at 300. Maybe I'm giving too much lead or maybe not enough.  

I wish guys would stop trying to not get shot down by me :D

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
More Yak
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2005, 08:05:42 AM »
Secret IMO in the yak is to get close. Then get closer. Then about the time your ready to fire, get closer still.

Sit back, fly a low E loss pursuit. Let him blow all his alt & E with one move after the next. Just sit back in lag pursuit and wait till he's low & slow.

Wait till he's inside 150 yards and does one more of those moves that gives you a good shot. One that shows more than just wing edges &  tail.  When he does light him up, don't pepper him, don't play with it. Once you decide this is your best shot MAKE IT COUNT. Hold the trigger down till he dies or your out.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
More Yak
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2005, 08:13:37 AM »
Another thought is to head over to the training arena (TA) and turn on lead computied sights. Then get in on some volunteer and see where the computer lead shows you need to be pointed  compared where you actually think you need the nose pointed for a shot. You might be surprised.

Turning on lead computed sighting in TA is ctrl-tab (toggle on/off) then use the tab key until your designated target is tagged.

The reason I won't fire inside 200 yards is at 100 yards I've run into the debrise too many times and damaged my plane. I think the reason is lag. By the time he blows along with the lag I'm already in the damage path. Sometimes you can pull off as he blows but why take a 50-50 chance on losing yer plane.
:)
Ren

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
More Yak
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2005, 08:17:59 AM »
Thanks everyone Ghosth.

I'm reassured the yak is just plain hard to kill with unless very close. I do what you talk about with an opponent but make mistake of squirting away short bursts and spending all my ammo.