Author Topic: "On the Sight" scenario  (Read 7778 times)

Offline detch01

• Silver Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2005, 09:46:22 PM »
FiLtH- WTFG!!:aok  That was a blast!

I think we overloaded the server though :D .

Cheers,
asw
asw
Latrine Attendant, 1st class
semper in excretio, solum profundum variat

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2005, 09:49:34 PM »
Yep, very fun.  I'd gladly fly in such a thing again.

The servers crashed just a little while ago.  It was in punishment for the LW shooting me down right before that! :)

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2005, 09:50:17 PM »
Same here, all arenas closed, we must have bombed the wrong friggin target.

FILTH, you never said That particular city had the master switch for AH in it, Man they gotta up the hardness of that station lol

That was simply Too Much Fun people.

Thank you FILTH for putting this together and Everyone for flying in it.  After a nasty Stick problem, I had to auger out and join ASW as a gunner.  ASW got a field promotion to help lead the B17s, and I'm sure this will add an interesting dimension to the pre event write up  :)

One can plan an event as much as possible, down to the most finite of details, but until you put the thing in motion and deal with the countless variables that you cannot plan for, you have not experienced the best of this game.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Scrap

• Silver Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2005, 09:50:41 PM »
Bah! HaRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrR!  We scuttled the server and sent her to Davy Jones' Locker!!!!!!1111!!!!!1

HaaaaAAaaaaaRRRRrrrrrrr!!!!!!! :D

Offline Eagle327

• Copper Member
      • 327th Steel Talons
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2005, 10:20:56 PM »
Broadway-2 launched 6 Sets of B17s, many lost drones on take off.
Fell a little behind coraling drones so took a southern route to target.

Killed about 7 109/190s enroute.
Only our Lcky7 and RTREED got to target and killed 17 buildings. Got report 98% Capital City destroyed,then server dumped.

Was great fun.
Thanks for putting it together, FiLtH and ROC.

Eagle
FL Broadway-2, 8th AAF(Retired)
Eagle, Group XO
327th Steel Talons Squadrons

"Keep 'em level, Mates. Greasy side down."

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2005, 10:30:56 PM »
Eagle,

100% goes to Filth.  I signed up and got a bomber slot, then being the mouthy sob I am, barked orders after he assigned me a GL spot.  

Filth put this entire event together and was Very Impressive with the turnout and result, kudos to him and everyone who participated.
ROC

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2005, 10:43:34 PM »
Thanks Filth. Had a blast. Thanks to JB42 for coralling us 190's together, .

Thanks to the brits who stayed up late . and specially the guys in the 71 st, who were kind enough to let me pretend to be their FL, in II./ Wolfe Gruppe .  (they all can fly loops around me , hehe).

Had a blast!!!
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline GooseAW

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.chawks.com
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2005, 12:19:47 AM »
Killed 2 ponies, got 2 more fighter assists, and 1 buff kill.

30k buffs hard to reach in A8..;o) Was still in the air when Da Big Boot came.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 12:21:48 AM by GooseAW »

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2005, 12:41:02 AM »
Had a blast.  Thanks Filth and all who helped.

I made it to the target (vox went out with my first burst at a 190) but was jumped while calibrating and lost two drones to a 190. :(  S! whoever that was.

Recovering, I was too close to do a proper calibration and missed with all bombs.  Shortly thereafter, TMaw swooped in and killed me. S!
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2005, 12:51:34 AM »
Wtg You guys!

That was great!  Thanks to all who attended!  It really made me happy after all the repetitive "Hey u guys we're doin a thing saturday..." stuff I did in game. Glad it paid off. Squeaky wheel and all that. :)

Due to ALL the people that showed up, (we origally had about 20 bomber crews assigned and few fighters) we ended up with far too many to count. So scoring is moot at this point. We'll chock it up to a good time had by all, and a city in ruin, along with many buffs dead.

Kudos to you guys that kept count, Eagle and JB42 etc. Great job!  

ROC..I cant wait to read the rest of your story bud :) Thanks again for the help! Flossy I hope you dont feel like crap in the mornin :) 4am! Wow you da best!

Folks have requested we do this again soon. We need to decide if the MA worked or if it indeed taxed it too much. If so there are plenty of other arenas in here to use.

I recommend anyone who enjoyed this one, which was a fly by night adventure, compared to ones done by the professionals that put amazing amounts of planning into them, to look into joining santioned events in the events server. They are the best that this game gets, as ROC put it.

Post your personal reports, brag, cry, post screenshots! I wanna see em! My film didnt record for some reason..if anyone has one Id like a copy please. Let me know before sending..I'll need to clean out email box before.

Thanks again for making this a good time!

!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 01:09:49 AM by FiLtH »

~AoM~

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
Continued
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2005, 01:33:52 AM »
(continued)

T-Bolt left my tent visibly shaking after the dressing down he got from me.  At least I thought it was from the reprimand, rumor has it he was in hysterics.  Personally, I did not find his suprise of introducing our "Broadway Bomber" this late in the game as any where near funny.   Rumor has it, I may have been alone in that view.

I could not find any way to describe the cloud of despair that hung over ASW as we finished our walk.  T-Bolt was beside himself with laughter as I tried, in vain, to describe the torment.

"T," I pleaded " have some class, this kid is Crushed!  For crying out loud, he walks into a coffee shop, has a mocha and is lamenting his woes to the first ear that leans his way.  Going on about his dreams of being Lofted into the Clouds of success, being in the Spotlight with fans flocking to him from all sides, the fellow he was sobbing to had an easy mark, and took him in, and you find humor in this.  You know those damndeble recruiters look for kids like this."

What I got, was further laughter. "T-Bolt, you should be ashamed of yourself.  Here this kid buys the recruiters bit about ' sure kid, I can put you in the limelight, I can assure you, no less than 50 people will be seeking you out' and think's he is going to the show.  He'll get a show alright, bet your seat warmer there will be 50 guys looking to find him!"

I looked in on ASW later that afternoon, just to make sure he would be ok.

"I'm good ROC.." he said, "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not gonna take it anymore!"   "ASW," I replied, "they did that bit already, something about a TV News Anchor getting fed up, you gotta get ahold of yourself boy, there's no media here, no cameras, no script, this is the real thing, you gotta get in touch with reality, the truth of the matter is you are about to go into battle, for your life, there are no retakes here."

"Truth?.." He cried out "You can't handle the truth!!" and I promptly shot him in the foot.

Now, this is not something I am prone to do on a regular basis, but this kid needed slapped back into reality or he would get himself, or an entire wing shot to hell.

He bawled "What did you do that for?" to which I replied "when was the last time a script pulled pain from anything other than your heart?  There is no script here, that was a pin salamander, would you like to know what it feels like to have that through your gut?  There are people you will meet today that have every intention of letting you know this."

As the medic ran in, he looked at ASW, and to me, and frowned.  He has seen this before.  He get's incredibly pissed at me when it happens.  He cannot argue the result though, as most of the boys who end up with my signature on their foot head for home with little else as a reminder of where they have been.

It grows late.   There are several bomber pilots and gunners lying under the Bombers they will soon be joined with.   It's close enough now, time to get their minds ready.

I walk over the napping boys,  and for a moment, simply pause and second guess myself.  This is a habit I need to break, and quickly brush away the hesitation.

Kicking the soil into the napping babes I yell " Get Up!  Napping??  Sleeping?? Your souls have slept for thousands of years before this night, and there will be time to sleep when you are dead.  Get Your Pathetic Brains Alive NOW!!"

In a hearbeat, the base erupts.   There is movement and activity, and the sleepyness falls away, as they know I am right.  

It's growing near.  I hear reports that Command is on the way to the field, and Filth himself is with them.

"Good God" I sigh under my breath, "is it that big of a misssion?"

It was too loud.  I knew this would be bad, but not this bad.   over 75 Bombers were idling on the deck, fully loaded, each with enough ord to take out several city blocks.  Fighters planes were manned with the best of the best.  I don't know how they got them here on such short notice, but I have never seen the likes.  We have Aces crawling out of the woodworks.  Cripes what did Filth have in mind, ripping the mustache off of Hitler himself in downtown Berlin??  I had to walk, and pace, and get away from the road, the smoke, the smells.  

I walked, and saw young fresh recruits laughing and worrying with the eldest of vets.  If you closed your eyes you couldn't tell the difference, we all knew, instinctivly if not by experience, what today was.  Our Broadway Bomber was there as well, in the middle, joining up as he could with people that were thrust into this as was he.   I walked up, grinned at T for all of his effort to keep us sane, and placed him on my wing, as for all of his pomp and banter, there were few better to keep you alive and heading home.  And I saw ASW, new, fresh, and having just been through a life changing experience, sold a bill of goods, and making the absolute best of it.  "ASW" I said, within the entire group  "You're with me."

If someone so new, so fresh, so tricked into entering this fray can be picked to be with the leaders of the lead, then what chance does the rest of the contingent have of surviving?   This says, the chances are good.  If we enter a fight knowing we will end our lives this day, we will work dilligently to make our visions come true.  So I give them hope, choice, and life.  This young star may very well make the center stage after this, and will take with him lessons no class or drama critique can ever offer.

God the noise is unbearable.  We are center stage of an unimaginable thing.  There is more metal in the air around us than seems physically possible.  

The ack over that last refinery was unreal.  I'm leaning out of the gunner positions trying for the life of me to keep track of the bombers, but there are so many, and so much smoke.

I turned over the lead to ASW, he is keeping a cool head, and I cannot keep track of the squadron and keep this bird flying at the same time.

I just pulled a piece of metal out of my arm.  It was from Plinks plane ahead of me.  He's not down...yet, but I don't know why it's still flying.  There can't be anything holding it together other than sheer will.   BRB, want to keep writing, but there's a bunch of 109s coming in.

It appears our target is a huge City deep in Axis territory.  It's close now, but man we are deep.  I don't think I've ever been this far behind enemy lines.  If we get captured here, we are done for.

Cripes allmighty they have Jets!  I've heard about them, saw a captured prototype fly, but had no idea they were in service, this is bad, really bad.  They are getting shots off and are out of range damn near before I can spot them.   Most of our gunners are dead, I've got spent shells littering the deck plates here.   ASW is singing, he sucks, but he is singing and I'm just ok with that.

We are over the target, it is Huge.   There are factories down there, many of them.  I know this is a big one, as we approach the target and the bombadier is calibrating, I have my guns trained on no less than 6 enemy fighters.   This is not good, not good at all, no time to write, but I have to keep logging this.

Bombers hit over 92%, this city is in flames, I don't know the name of the City, don't know of it's schools, houses or what, but I do know that cotton mills don't blow up as bad as those factories did, so we got something, and got something huge.  As if the smoking pit below doesn't confirm this, we have more con's inbound than I can count to verify that we may have royally pissed someone off.

The smoke is too much, I can't see.  I've crawled over, and slid through, every gunner spot on this plane.  It's ASW and I.  Upper gone, Ball is non existant, chin blown out, tail missing.  There are some BBs left in right and left waist guns, but I may as well piss on them for all the good those will do.   ASW is still singing, it's not good, his words are off.   I move to the cabin.

The plane bucks and jerks, and I look out the left waist gun and we are missing a wing.   I enter the cabin, ASW is listing to the left side, the windshield is blown out.  It's bad in here.   I can barely hear him.  He is still singing.   Some broadway tune I really don't know, but he sings.   I tell him he made it, he's a star.  He smiles, closes his eyes and smiles.

I'm going to stop writing now, I'm trying to find the chute.  I couldn't wear it while I was running between the guns, far to awkward, but I think it's time I got ou
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 01:43:41 AM by ROC »
ROC

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #71 on: January 16, 2005, 05:28:16 AM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Flossy I hope you dont feel like crap in the mornin :) 4am! Wow you da best!
Well, I'm a little late up but what the heck, it's Sunday!  :D  I don't mind if I can sleep in the next morning, but I couldn't have done it if it was work next day.
My film didnt record for some reason
FiLtH, are you sure your film didn't record?  Unlike AW, AH doesn't ask you if you want to save the films at the end of your flight - they save automatically.  If you haven't already, check in your AH2/Films folder....  :)
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #72 on: January 16, 2005, 09:39:43 AM »
I joined as a gunner for Flossy, and rode along in the copilot seat until we got really deep in enemy territory.

A couple 190's, nothing too fancy, then a 152, then some 262's!

262's came in guns blazing, saw lots of friendlies smoking.
262 comes in and disables Nose and Tail and shoots out two engines.

We lost that bomber, but we continued until I got the boot.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #73 on: January 16, 2005, 09:57:38 AM »
Hehehe great read ROC !  Poor sweet asw....poor kid :)

Flossy I have 60 or so films in the AH file, but this one isnt there. Did any of you make a film? Is there a limit that can be in the AH folder?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 10:00:00 AM by FiLtH »

~AoM~

Offline Flossy

• Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
"On the Sight" scenario
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2005, 12:01:17 PM »
Originally posted by FiLtH
Flossy I have 60 or so films in the AH file, but this one isnt there. Did any of you make a film? Is there a limit that can be in the AH folder?
No limit as such that I know of - but I find once I get too many films in there the game freezes as I start film, and gets steadily worse each time until finally causes me to disco.  I now try and clear out my films, even if its just to another directory, every so often to avoid the problem happening again.  I'm up to 32 now, and I noticed a slight hesitation when the film started, so I will probably clear mine out now.  I imagine having over 60 could well be the problem.  :)  Same goes for screenshots - too many of those and the same thing happens; very frustrating taking a picture of bomb damage just to end up disconnecting!  :o
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun