Author Topic: Federal Judges are stupid idiots  (Read 2624 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Federal Judges are stupid idiots
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2005, 04:31:18 AM »
I think Capt. Apathy and Nwbie are headed in the right direction here.

As far as the stickers in the books go...  I really don't care.  Kids are capable of making their own decisions.  They are free to ignore plausible explanations supported by evidence should they so choose.

Oh - and the bit about how we can't prove that Caesar or Tut existed has got to be the saddest argument I've ever heard in my entire life.  No offense.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Samiam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2005, 12:38:00 PM »
Originally posted by wklink

The only fact that true scientists ascribe to is that everything is a theory.  There are no such things as 'scientific facts', just current beliefs that are either reinforced or later discounted.  

The problem I have with the evolutionary theory (and it still is considered a theory) is that there is a group of people that look at it as more dogmatic and as such not up for debate.  
Saying it is a theory should have been written in the science book, not as an add on sticker.  Everything is a theory, supported or disproved but never a 'fact'.

Wrong.

This type of misunderstanding is the crux of the problem and that so many people do not understand the basic precepts of science is why we need to do a better job of teaching it.

There are scientific laws. These are hard facts that are indisputably true. The speed of light. The laws of thermodynamics. Newtons laws of physics. Facts.

Then there are scientific hypotheses. These are explanations of something that have yet to be well supported, may be disputed and may be proven false.

Finally, we have scientific theories. A theory is an explanation of a complex system that is accepted as true by the scientific community because it is supported by established laws and provable facts.

Examples: The theory of special relativity, the theory of quantum mechanics, the theory of evolution. All accepted as true and are used everyday to improve our lives.

It is not the hypothesis of evolution. It is the theory of evolution. It is supported by thousands of provable facts and is accepted as true by any legitimate scientist.  

Because evolution is such a complex system, there may be details that are refined over time as our knowledge and understanding improve. But as a scientific theory, evolution is accepted as true by science.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2005, 03:45:28 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman
What is the alternative to evolution?

The alternative is Entropy.  Darwin had it backwards. We started out as highly ordered beings, and we are decending into the primordial ooze.

You want absolute proof?

200 years ago we had Mozart and Bach.  Today we have minizzle fizzle.

Although Hank did try to reverse the trend...
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!