Author Topic: trim questions  (Read 1739 times)

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
trim questions
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2000, 11:38:00 AM »
I use rudder often in turns.  I use "Rudder Kicks", not sustained rudder deflections.  This effect becomes much more useful at slower speeds.

Depending upon what I am trying to accomplish I might control coordinated or un-cordinated flight with my rudder.  IE: In a turn, kick the rudder first one way then the other way.  

With practice you can greatly increase roll rate into a turn or course reversal. Particularly in turns that you intend a 180 degree or more, course change.  

My objective is not to change the direction the nose of my plane is headed, but to swivel (kick} the tail around.   The tail acting as a lever to piont the nose the way I want it to go.  The tail has less mass and moves much faster in relation to how fast the nose can move.

My advice, think of positioning your tail as much as you think of positioning your nose.  Turning in this fashion, you are not "Pulling G's" to turn, and you can conserve some E.  IE: For a verticle turn, do not try to get the nose down, try to get the tail up.

Good Luck!    

Mino

[This message has been edited by Minotaur (edited 02-03-2000).]

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
trim questions
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2000, 10:10:00 AM »
Lephturn-

Great advice on the rudder scaling.  I reconfig last nite and had much more control.  Any newbies like me make sure you use this advice, you will have a lot more fun.

Milo

Offline Dingy

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
trim questions
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2000, 11:36:00 AM »
Yup...started AH with my rudder configured to max 50% since it was so much more sensitive than I was used to.  I've since notched it all the way up.  You get used to it quick.

- Ding

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
trim questions
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2000, 03:47:00 PM »

Originally posted by BaneX:
So do any of you use rudder at all except for take off and landing??

Extensively, sir.  Use rudder in both TO and landing.  Use rudder in flight to keep level when scoping the bogies in a bank.  Use rudder to increase my turn rate, (a lil flap helps too).  Use rudder to kick my nose 180 when reversing on a lower enema.  Use rudder... Well ya gets the picture that I use the rudder.  

------------------
O.E. 'Tern' Dillon
"Live to Fly!  Fly to Fight!  Fight to Live!"

Offline Tern

• Zinc Member
trim questions
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2000, 03:48:00 PM »

Originally posted by Dingy:
Yup...frequently while trying to line up a snapshot if the target is a bit off the nose.

-Ding
Dingy lies... I use the rudder for that, but Dingy takes the kill credits. :P

------------------
O.E. 'Tern' Dillon
"Live to Fly!  Fly to Fight!  Fight to Live!"

Offline MiG Eater

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.avphoto.com
trim questions
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2000, 06:38:00 PM »

Originally posted by Tern:
Extensively, sir.  Use rudder in both TO and landing.  Use rudder in flight to keep level when scoping the bogies in a bank.  Use rudder to increase my turn rate, (a lil flap helps too).  Use rudder to kick my nose 180 when reversing on a lower enema.  Use rudder... Well ya gets the picture that I use the rudder.    

Also, depressing the rudder while in a bank will dramatically slow you down.  It can be used as an airbrake effect to force an overshoot when timed correctly. It can also allow steep but short approaches to landing if you are too fast and high near the runway.

MiG