Author Topic: The A-26  (Read 716 times)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
The A-26
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2005, 05:05:25 AM »
As others have said, the A-26 was much more than just an upgraded A-20, it was a totally new aircraft. Apart from the better performance, heavier bombload and up to fourteen half inch forward facing guns its other advantage over the A-20 was the turret system. The rear gunner had a remote sight system similar to the B-29's. He could track an attacking enemy plane with his gunsight and the system would compute a firing solution and feed it to the remote upper and lower turrets. If the enemy dipped below the fuselage a lower periscope view would automatically be displayed in his sight so he could maintain contact.

This remote system ought to make the turrets more accurate if implemented in AH and would give coverage below the plane, unlike on the A-20. (Yes I know, the missing tunnel gun). But it would require new FE code to be written to support it. I guess we will see an A-26 at around the same time we get a B-29 since that would require the same sort of code. As for it being uber, just make it a perked aircraft like the B-29 would undoubtedly be.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2005, 05:08:34 AM by Greebo »

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
The A-26
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2005, 05:50:28 AM »
Originally posted by Greebo
As for it being uber, just make it a perked aircraft like the B-29 would undoubtedly be.

Don't be silly!! its american!! course it wont be perked!!

They would perk it if you want to use an RAF Washington skin though ;) :D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --

Offline frank3

• Plutonium Member
The A-26
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2005, 07:28:47 AM »
Still I think it would have exactly the same role as the A-20 and Mosquito...

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
The A-26
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2005, 11:04:37 AM »
Originally posted by frank3
Still I think it would have exactly the same role as the A-20 and Mosquito...

Yes, but it would be better than either at that role IMO. Apart from the heavier forward facing armament and much better rear protection it carried 6k of bombs. The A-20G carries 4k and the Mk VI Mossie 2K. OK the Mossie is faster, but it isn't fast enough to outrun a lot of the fighters in the MA, and it has no rear defence.

The glass nosed version would basically be a faster replacement for the B-26 with a heavier bombload.

They perked the Chog, Furball.......eventually :)

Offline Furball

• Plutonium Member
The A-26
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2005, 02:52:47 PM »
Originally posted by Greebo

They perked the Chog, Furball.......eventually :)

they tried their best to get away with it though ;) :D
I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know.
-Cicero

-- The Blue Knights --