Author Topic: Yak9U...help.  (Read 932 times)

Offline ANGBoomer

• Zinc Member
Gunnery
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2005, 06:25:45 PM »
I have been flying the Yak9-U for a few weeks now and so far I am very happy with it. My biggest problem is gunnery, I just can't seem to get on target well. I have gotten more kills in it that the Spit-V. Any help with gunnery out there?

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2005, 07:00:04 PM »
Yak-9U has always been my favorite for the sheer joy of flying.  Its responsivenes and view from the cockpit make it feel like a Miata with the top down, or vice versa.  

The limited ammo load refines aim and demands knife work , endurance is average, bombload is minimal, and no sense flying it above 15k.  But under 15k for Captain Marveling around, it rules!
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005, 07:39:10 AM »
You guys have pretty much said it all, except for one thing.

Yak mixes it up very well with spits as long as you stay easy on the stick.  Get in on his 6, make him burn his E.

If after a couple of times around he's still flying you need to pick your exit point get out, extend, reverse high & come back at him with some E again.

Its not the sustained turner that the spit is.
But it is perfectly capable of giving one fits.

Last, try setting your convergience to 250 for the mgs, 300 for the cannon.  Then get into at least 250 before shooting.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2005, 10:31:49 AM »
dont fly the yakU, fly the yakT.

that big gun is enough for 10 kills if you can shoot it and have enough fuel.

one ping = boom almost everytime.

and the ballistics are great, you'll find you have no trouble with D400 lead shots and deflections after a bit of practice.

when you get really good, you can literally squeeze off one round for one kill.

32 kills worth of ammo when you master it :D
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2005, 11:06:54 AM »
Most of the things people have been saying are true enough if you meet an average pilot. However, for all the praise heeped upon the Yak here, no one has bother to detail its weaknesses, which will be exploited by the better pilots.

Low speed handling: Below 200 mph the Yak is an average fighter. Turn rate is good, but nothing to brag about. Get it much below 200 mph and its handling begins to degrade, wanting to fall out of sustained turns. At these speeds P-38s and F4Us will eat it alive, and Spitfires and similar turners will do the same. P-38s and F4Us do it via flap usage. Both are rock steady at 150 mph, while the Yak is fighting you every inch of the way. Pay attention to Ghosth's rule about going easy on the stick. At low speeds, ham-fisted flying of the Yak will quickly get ugly.

My suggestion is this: Manage your E carefully. Avoid prolonged turning fights with aircraft that have superior low speed characteristics. Be extra careful in vertical fights with Co-E P-38s (the J and L), La-7s, Ki-84s and most 109s. All of those will out-climb the Yak. Both the Ki-84 and La-7 accelerate considerably faster than the Yak. So, you had better make sure you have an initial E advantage. At speeds around 200 mph, both will chase you down quickly from distances less than 1.5k. If you can maintain 800 yards separation from the Ki-84, you will eventually be able to pull away. Just remember that while the Yak is about 10 mph faster than the Ki-84 on the deck, the Hayate will accelerate from 200 to 300 mph a lot faster.

Don't get over-confident against perk planes such as the F4U-4, SpitXIV and Tempest. These are genuine monsters and in the hands of a good pilot, extremely capable.

The Yak-9U is one of those aircraft that can bring you much success if you are well versed in the capabilities and weakneses of the enemy aircraft you are fighting. However, if you get it slow you substantially increase the odds of getting it dead too. Indeed, most Yaks get clobbered because circumstances or errors in judgement resulting in it losing E to the point that it became vulnerable.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2005, 08:10:21 PM »
I used to fly the yak a LOT... I loved the way it seemed almost uber :)

But I only flew the Yak9T. 37mm gun. Anyways, zoom climb is good but auto climb from takeoff is rather low. It accelerates like a dream.

But I don't know why y'all are dissing the low speed handling. At least in the T, I know it can out turn spitVs and has. And I'm talking low slow stall horn riding stall fights. It wins. it flies great in all aspects, but don't try taking it up over 10k. Was chasing some B17s recently at 16k and it was struggling big time.

Plus I have a soft spot for planes with no WEP (T has none). Which is why I miss the original Ki84 we had (before it got wep).

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2005, 09:26:09 PM »
U seems to be a better performer than the T according to the
Aces High charts.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2005, 11:25:10 PM »
The U has much more horsepower, just from the feel of it. That includes a nice WEP boost as well. This also translates into better higher alt performace (better than the 9T, that is) and speed.

However, just because it's "better" than the 9T doesn't make the 9T any worse. I like the T because I find I can get more kills with the 37mm (the 20mm I find gets wasted)

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2005, 08:11:50 AM »
Originally posted by Krusty

But I only flew the Yak9T. 37mm gun. Anyways, zoom climb is good but auto climb from takeoff is rather low. It accelerates like a dream.

But I don't know why y'all are dissing the low speed handling. At least in the T, I know it can out turn spitVs and has.  

not sure what spits you were fighting.. :D
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2005, 09:42:59 AM »
Originally posted by mechanic
not sure what spits you were fighting.. :D

I believe it must have been Triumph Spitfire Mk.II, with the Herald's swing axle.....

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2005, 10:06:25 AM »
I used to fly the yak a LOT... I loved the way it seemed almost uber :)

But I don't know why y'all are dissing the low speed handling. At least in the T, I know it can out turn spitVs and has. And I'm talking low slow stall horn riding stall fights. It wins. it flies great in all aspects, but don't try taking it up over 10k. Was chasing some B17s recently at 16k and it was struggling big time.

Plus I have a soft spot for planes with no WEP (T has none). Which is why I miss the original Ki84 we had (before it got wep).

Hmm... If we compare the Yak-9T to the Yak-9U we see many differences. First and foremost is the 55 mph speed advantage offered by the 9-U. Add to that a 25% increase in climb rate. Currently neither of the two have WEP power, although at one time the 9-T did (back in AH1). Acceleration of the 9-T is leisurely at best.

Low speed handling of the 9-T is no better than the 9-U. Furthermore, any Spitfire will turn circles around either Yak at low speed, as will the Wildcats, Hurricanes and the like. It can be a fun fighter to fly, but then I have fun furballing with an IL-2.

A simple test will convince anyone as to the poor low speed handling of Yaks. Take one up in the TA. Take off with full flaps and fly around the base a while, then land it. Now do the same with the P-38 and F4U (any model of either). If this does not convince you that the Yak has no business stall fighting, then ask me to join you and I'll provide you with the required epiphany.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2005, 02:24:59 PM »
Well if you're using flaps in a yak you're not flying it right.

BTW, 9U has wep. 9T does not. Just flew a 9U the other day and hit WEP, was greeted by a small man pres. boost and an increase in sound pitch.

Widewing, standard SpitV, flown by standard spitV dweebs. They mostly knew what they were doing, but this is not a single occasion incident. Many times, over a long period of time, I have out turned a spitfire in a low/slow sustained turn fight. Against FM2 might be tough.. Against a zero I'd not do it. Against a spitV you got a good chance.

Now if we didn't have the super rare super uber SpitV, it'd own it. But as itis you have a decent chance of out turning it.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2005, 11:57:17 PM »
Well if you're using flaps in a yak you're not flying it right.

BTW, 9U has wep. 9T does not. Just flew a 9U the other day and hit WEP, was greeted by a small man pres. boost and an increase in sound pitch.

Widewing, standard SpitV, flown by standard spitV dweebs. They mostly knew what they were doing, but this is not a single occasion incident. Many times, over a long period of time, I have out turned a spitfire in a low/slow sustained turn fight. Against FM2 might be tough.. Against a zero I'd not do it. Against a spitV you got a good chance.

Now if we didn't have the super rare super uber SpitV, it'd own it. But as itis you have a decent chance of out turning it.

Neither Yak has WEP in the current game. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. I flew the Yak-9U in the TA today. It is the most nervous fighter in the plane set below 150 mph... Compare that to the American iron, which are rock steady at low speeds, especially the P-38s and the F4Us.

You are right, if you are flying a Yak with flaps out you are not using it correctly. However, without flaps it will snap spin easier than if if they were used. To say the Yak can turn with a Spit V is rediculous. It's no contest, the Spit will eat the Yak for breakfast and do so with ease.

At 300 mph, G effects on the pilot is the limiting factor. But once you get slowed down to speeds that generate 3g or less, the Yak will rapidly fall behind the curve when paired up against any Spitfire.

Trust me, the Yak can't stall fight with the F4U or P-38, much less Spits, Wildcats and so on. I can out-turn most SpitV pilots with a P-38. Nonetheless, that does not mean that the P-38 can actually out-turn a SpitV, it means that I can fly the P-38 closer to the edge than the average SpitV pilot can push his fighter. The better SpitV pilots won't let that happen as they know that they can fly slower than the P-38, not much, but enough. Yaks, on the other hand, can't hope to compete with the P-38, much less the SpitV. There are plenty of guys who have no real ACM skills, who are easy marks no matter what they fly. Don't base your opinion of the Yaks performance on them or assume that the SpitV can be out-turned based upon fighting guys with little experience.

The worst trait of the Yaks is their poor low speed handling. Therefore, to be successful, a Yak pilot needs to avoid that weakness and fly to the plane's strengths. Especially with the 9-T, which lacks the power to regain speed once it's lost.

Effective stall fighting is something that needs to be learned. Here's a little exercise that some will find difficult, but is a great teaching tool. You and a partner take off from the same field (fly in the DA or TA for this). You take the same aircraft or mix them as you choose. You take off from opposite ends of the runway. When you pass each other, the fight is on. There's only one rule: You must never fly outside of the base perimeter. To verify this, both should have film running. There are no altitude restrictions. At the speeds associated with this type of duel, flying skills are as important as ACM skills. It's a knife fight in a phone booth. There will be as many deaths due to augers as from gunfire. In the TA, the only way to win is to force an auger. Practice this enough and you will have the edge in any stall fight. The next time some obnoxious player demands a duel, offer him this and enjoy their frustration.... Just don't pick a Yak as your ride.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Magoo

• Copper Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2005, 01:05:04 PM »
Great thread!

I've been flying the Yak9-T a bit here lately and really enjoy it. Your right  Mechanic, there is something deeply satisfying about pinching off a single round of that 37MM cannon (AKA flaming coconut of death - or FCD) into someones cockpit. You count off one-Mississippi to account for the net lag and such and before you can get to the ippi..BOOM. I find that my gunnery improves when I make a point to take up a yak9-T each session. I don't remember who said it but yes  the ballistics are very good on that 37MM. Unfortunately, as WideWing points out, your SA also gets a workout as the -T is a very mediocre fighter plane. But that gun:

FOOMP-FOOMP-FOOMP

On the Yak9-U, yea Krusty, I've keeled a few Spits in a stall fight, but it's always through superior ACM (they made more mistakes). GhostH, like you said, the key to fighting Spits in this thing is lag pursuit to stay saddled up and KNOWING WHEN TO GET OUT. Then again that goes for most planes doesn't it?

I don't believe the -U is a very good accelerator, however this is just a seat of the pants judgement. It will however hold it's E very well. As a matter of fact, it is purt near as fast a a Pony at 18K and is an excellent Pony killer.

As far as the guns, I happen to like the gun package but not the load. All the guns are on the fuselage so convergence is not an issue (for distance yes, but the effective  range of the guns is under 400yds so it is a non-issue). Within range they aim well and hit very, very hard, due to the concentrated fire (think bullet hose like on the A20). Once again, I said within range. Typically if you really want the kill you must get in close regardless of the ride- if for nothing but aiming purposes. Great views as Halo said. I personally find a good view a  most important trait when I warm up to a ride. As the quote goes " a bandit at your six is better than no bandit at all" and in the MA you certainly need to see what's chasin' ya! I'll also 2nd the motion that it is a VERY nervous plane when it's slow...don't do that:p

Magoo
A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all!

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Yak9U...help.
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2005, 02:37:13 PM »
I'd like to expand on widewing's "DA rule" about the merge.

For all intent's and purposes, AH2's duel ladder rules state,  "an agreed upon alt-cap not to be exceeded prior to obtaining icon (plane type/name/range) data on the opponent. Once icon is acquired, *anything* goes except a HO on the initial merge."

but then you're free to set up DA engagements in any mutually agreeable manner.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798