Author Topic: who say the FW190 A8 isnt a dogfighter?  (Read 1217 times)

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
who say the FW190 A8 isnt a dogfighter?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 09:41:59 AM »
Originally posted by Raider179
P38 aint nothing but a big target lol

Ya.. Mine is a pretty large target.. But something about the magic properties of the 38 causes the badguys to miss..  I just yank the stick this way or that way and my plane magically responds with the correct behavior to cause the shots to go wizzin by.. Then, for some reason, the badguys fly right by me right infront of my guns.. The only thing my 38 seems to be missing is a little red lite to flash when I'm suppose to fire.. But usually, I just count to 3 after I see them firing and pull the trigger.. and BOOM! I don't understand how this works.. So, like I said.. I considered the 38 to just be magic.
Raider, have you not flown by my 38 and seen the badguy seeking 50s hit you yet? Their magic I tell you man!

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 10:00:08 AM »
I enjoy turnfighting in an A-8.  Rarely do I get to stall speeds, but sometimes if it's 1 vs 1, I'll push the limits.  

La7 became too easy after only 4 months of flying it, IMO it is the best turnfighter in the game, most don't know how to REALLY fly it.  SECOmust is the best I've ever seen in it.   Now I fly the La5 instead.  

I now spend MA time flying the Spit1, Hurry's, A-8, Ki-61 and the Hellkitty.  Every now and then I'll grab the 262 or the TA-152 (still my fav in MA).

Karaya
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 10:16:15 AM »
I'm a dweeb, so what do I know. But the only 190 I could ever dogfight in was the A4 in AW. Wish we had it in here. The A5 is close, as far as handling characteristics go.

Offline TheDudeDVant

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 10:30:17 AM »
The a5 is a very good ride.. so is the a8.. both are very lethal in the proper circumstances.. I like the a5 better for perks but there is very little difference in the a5 and a8..

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
Re: who say the FW190 A8 isnt a dogfighter?
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 10:37:56 AM »
Me. And dont try to show anything flying against clueless spit or whatever pilots.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2005, 11:18:32 AM »
Actualy MANDO this film shows a decent yak pilot 'chanzz'

hes a very good stick when ive come up agaisnt him in the past. i just dont think he expected a fight from a 190
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Raider179

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2005, 11:27:26 AM »
Well the yak pilot not only didnt exercise throttle control but he missed at least 2 shots that should have been kills/hvy damage. 190s are great planes and the A8 is a real killer with those 30mm's.

Just remember to stay fast or you are dead.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2005, 11:36:25 AM »
yeah, he did hit me in the fuel tank though.  i like to think i made him miss rather than he couldnt shoot ;)
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2005, 11:37:23 AM »
Originally posted by mechanic
Actualy MANDO this film shows a decent yak pilot 'chanzz'

hes a very good stick when ive come up agaisnt him in the past. i just dont think he expected a fight from a 190

Exactly, he was surprized to not see the nose down run or the stick stirring.  Your skills or the fact that some one did not expect a move does not make a 190 a good dog fighter.  A good fighter maybe, but not a dog fighter.  What happened to the yak happens to me all the time.  I try to keep speed up cause "I know" he is running but once in a while, you meet some one that wants to fight (win or lose)
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2005, 12:00:00 PM »
i still disagree, against a pony, jug, any luft plane, and anything else thats heavier than a spit or lala, the 190a8/5 can be an awesome dogfighter.

Offline MANDO

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2005, 12:43:43 PM »
Originally posted by mechanic
i just dont think he expected a fight from a 190

Very good comment and very true. That is what makes them commit initial an catasfrophic mistakes (that stone-plane cant fight, it will be very easy task). The overconfidence of the yak is a problem and mistake of the pilot, not the plane. Yak is far, far superior dogfighter than 190A8 in all and every aspect. Roll doesnt count, Yak can fly slower and will much better control with an equivalent "rudder" supported roll. In fact, 190 roll rate at 200 mph does not help it at all, it will stall before any pursuer doing 180 mph.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2005, 12:48:30 PM »
Originally posted by TheDudeDVant
The a5 is a very good ride.. so is the a8.. both are very lethal in the proper circumstances.. I like the a5 better for perks but there is very little difference in the a5 and a8..

I haven't tried the A8 in AH because the departure characteristics for it in AW were so bad, I didn't even think about it when I went over to AH.

Offline Mugzeee

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2005, 12:52:04 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Bfink...

Looks like the poor guy in the Yak could use some help finding the throttle. :D

Finding his aim on a jinking A8 wouldnt hurt either.
Its a nice film. But it really only displays a scenario that is played out day after day since the release of AH2. For what ever the reasons, (There is much discussion on it) the tougher gunnery that some are experiencing is responsible for such out comes of engagments of this type.

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2005, 01:04:30 PM »
Originally posted by MANDO
The overconfidence of the yak is a problem and mistake of the pilot, not the plane.  

Well, "It's the pilot, not the plane" in every 1v1...  Point is, a FW can fight, it doesn't have to run.  Arguing against this theory doesn't do much to make the MA more interesting...
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2005, 01:09:34 PM »
Originally posted by Mugzeee
Finding his aim on a jinking A8 wouldnt hurt either.
Its a nice film. But it really only displays a scenario that is played out day after day since the release of AH2. For what ever the reasons, (There is much discussion on it) the tougher gunnery that some are experiencing is responsible for such out comes of engagments of this type.

i agree mugzeee, but then is the gunnery not more realistic than before?

in AH1 i routinely got kills from d600-800 no problem.  thats just not feesible in RL IMO.

the gunnery is harder in AH2 for sure, but also take into account the Yak's limited arsenal, and the small target the 190 provide from 6 o'clock.

if i had tried to break turn he would have had a decent deflection or snap on me. keeping him dead 6 was my only chance i thought. A steep rolling dive with no power, asuming he would keep his speed, followed by a few scissors and a reversal produced the outcome.

had he been in a wing mounted, multiple 20mm loaded plane like a spit it would have been very different.

the point of the thread was that a FW190 is not just good at BnZ, running and HO'ing.  almost every plane in AH2 can dogfight to some extent, others alot more than commonly understood.

please also note that the engagement started with the enemy d600 off my tail co-E, co-alt.