Author Topic: 475th Ace Danny Roberts P38H  (Read 734 times)

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
475th Ace Danny Roberts P38H
« on: February 01, 2005, 02:57:13 PM »
OK so I've got a day off and I'm kinda liking this skinning stuff.  

Yeah I know it's an H so we probably can't have it, but Danny Roberts of the 475th was one of my early P38 heros.  And I'm having fun trying to learn how to do this stuff :)

He died in a collision with his wingman over Rabaul.  Considered one of the real legends of the 475th.

Dan/Slack

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 03:08:12 PM »
Way cool!

The blue spinners and stripes look a little too vibrant blue though.
Have you checked Skinner's Heaven - it has the hex values for all the military's colors.   If that is the correct hue, you could tone them down a bit by adjusting the opacity.

Welcome to skinning - its more addictive than the game itself!     Seeing some other pilot using a skin you've made is akin to getting your first kill.

!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 03:25:27 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Way cool!

The blue spinners and stripes look a little too vibrant blue though.
Have you checked Skinner's Heaven - it has the hex values for all the military's colors.   If that is the correct hue, you could tone them down a bit by adjusting the opacity.

Welcome to skinning - its more addictive than the game itself!     Seeing some other pilot using a skin you've made is akin to getting your first kill.

!

Agreed on the blue.  Kinda figured I'd wait and see if they'll let us have F or H skins to go with the Gs.

Going through all my 38 stuff, and I've got a ton of it, I'm amazed at how the Aces seemed to go from Fs to Hs.  Very few G profiles out there or photos of G birds that could be done well.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 03:44:39 PM »
OK so I tweaked it.  This look better? :)

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 03:58:35 PM »
Look great, Guppy!  :aok
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 04:14:51 PM »
Much better!    That thing looks ready for the game.

I don't recognize that variation of the US insignia though - after the bars were added to the star in circle, they were either outlined in red (1943) or dark blue, weren't they?

Here's my source: http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/insignia.htm

What year did Danny die?

btw, you are our best source of '38 schemes.  If you don't have many G's, I don't know what we'll do...

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 04:43:47 PM »
Although many USAAF/USAAC units did use the various US insignia with a red outline, units in the Pacific specifically avoided using ANYTHING that remotely resembled a red circle, for obvious reasons. The red was also removed from roundels, and the red outline was either never applied or was removed from both the round insignia with the white star on a blue circle and the star/bar insignia. I was reading about this within the last couple of weeks, and saw it mentioned in several places and sources.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2005, 04:44:55 PM »
Originally posted by oboe
Much better!    That thing looks ready for the game.

I don't recognize that variation of the US insignia though - after the bars were added to the star in circle, they were either outlined in red (1943) or dark blue, weren't they?

Here's my source: http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/insignia.htm

What year did Danny die?

btw, you are our best source of '38 schemes.  If you don't have many G's, I don't know what we'll do...

They had a stretch in the Pac where they didn't outline the bar in red and it was just a white bar behind the circle and star.  

An example from the 475th FG history to show it.  There are other photos out there as well.  It appears it was sometime in the time frame from September to December 43 that they were using it.

Danny Roberts went down November 9, 1943

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline United

• Gold Member
      • http://squadronspotlight.netfirms.com
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2005, 05:00:45 PM »
Looks great!  I'd say you're already ahead of me, and I've already done 10-15 skins. :)