Author Topic: Dan  (Read 456 times)

Offline Sp4de

• Silver Member
      • http://www.freewebs.com/decommissisoned1/
Dan
« on: January 19, 2005, 11:23:28 PM »
I need you help!!!! heheheh we'd all be lost without you.
There should be a Dan Forum To worship you for all your knolliegedgede!
:D

Wojo wants me to do a skin - His grandfather flew it

"leading lady" 364 bomb sqd (h) 305 th bg (H)

"the serial # on leading  lady was  42-39948 it was the first B-17 of the 305th
bomb group to survive 100 missions sqd"

I need some good picture of Nose art. And whole plane Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)  <>
-Spade

Wojo's Grandpa is 3rd from the left
« Last Edit: January 19, 2005, 11:28:29 PM by Sp4de »

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
Dan
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:31:02 AM »
No color photos of "Leading Lady" in my stuff.

However I think we can get you enough info to do the skin.

First is another photo of the crew.  Not sure if it's the same crew though.

Now for the plane itself.

From what I have, it carried the squadron codes WF-M, and as you mentioned is serial # 42-39948

It would have carried the G in the Triangle on the tail and on the upper right wing and lower left wing as it's Group ID.  From August 44 the 305th also had a 48 inch Green band on the tail.  Since this B17 was still going in November 44, it's safe to say it wore the Green band.

SO!  Here's a profile of a silver 305th B17G.  Note the placement of the Squadron codes.   Keep in mind that colors were reversed on the silver birds so the triangle was black with white letter.  On OD and Gray it would be white triangle with black letter.

Do your basic OD and Gray paint first.  Then add WF-M on Leading Lady, with white instead of black letters.  

Add the serial number to the tail but only use 39948.  Do this in yellow

Don't forget the M under the serial on the tail as it was a second spot for the individual aircraft letter, done in white.

Then add the Green band, and the White Triangle with Black G on the Tail and upper and lower wing.

"Leading Lady" would most likely have been red letters with yellow shading and the bombs red with yellow outline.  Take your pick on the number of bombs since it flew over 100 missions.

Lo and behold, there you are with Leading Lady in flight again :)

Dan/Slack
« Last Edit: January 20, 2005, 12:34:39 AM by Guppy35 »
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters